Join Early Retirement Today

Fed Question
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fed Question

With all of the speculative volatility of late, why wouldn't the fed come out and just say when they plan to cut back on QE of watching investors gains erode. Wouldn't that make sense or am I just being a naive novice? The DOW is down over 300 this week on nothing more then speculation and fear.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwillny View Post
With all of the speculative volatility of late, why wouldn't the fed come out and just say when they plan to cut back on QE...
You are making the assumption the fed actually knows when they will turn off the spigot...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

actually I am. If they don't know then who knows. Say something for crying out loud, a hint.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hadn't they already stated that they would wind QE down once the unemployment rate was ~6.5%?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
actually I am. If they don't know then who knows. Say something for crying out loud, a hint.
They have. Not when, but instead, what. US real and nominal GDP growth and more people employed.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Fed will say they look at lots of numbers and trends and possibilities when they make decisions. Combining them for an exact decision is as much art as science. So they can't predict a date or provide a simple formula.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Hadn't they already stated that they would wind QE down once the unemployment rate was ~6.5%?
I guess someone missed that memo in Wall street. The market has been very erratic over the past few weeks. I guess I have my age (38) and companies with long track records going for me to deal with these ups and downs.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I guess someone missed that memo in Wall street. The market has been very erratic over the past few weeks. I guess I have my age (38) and companies with long track records going for me to deal with these ups and downs.
Lot of speculators trying to read to much into each FED speech to get the jump on the other.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

I would think that the Fed taking their foot off of QE accelerator would send a message that the economy has healed and can stand on its own and that would make the market respond favorably, but apparently wall street doesn't share my viewpoint.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I would think that the Fed taking their foot off of QE accelerator would send a message that the economy has healed and can stand on its own and that would make the market respond favorably, but apparently wall street doesn't share my viewpoint.
Agreed. What used to be good news is now bad news, furthermore, whats bad news, is really bad news. Like 207 pts down on the dow.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The DOW is down over 300 this week on nothing more then speculation and fear.
You're right, but there's nothing really new about that. The markets always react based on speculation and fear. If that causes you to lose sleep at night, you probably need to scale back your exposure to the market (as I have).
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And when inflation reaches 2.5%.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Speculators on Wall Street are famous for misreading Fed memos. You really can't blame the Fed for this one.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

In truth, I don't think the recent volatility has all that much to do with the Fed. I think it is as simple as-- "the market has been up a lot, and is looking for a reason to pull back a little".

The Fed is just the reason the talking heads find for the decline after the fact.

I think ignoring everything Wall Street does and says would be a good idea for all of our government officials and private company management. Wall Street has the attention span of a 2-year old hopped up on sugar. They shouldn't be given any thought when making decisions that matter over the long term.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's funny when the market is up double digits for the year no one suggests any actions. But when we have a weekly downturn (not unheard of in summer), someone needs to DO SOMETHING!!!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With all of the speculative volatility of late, why wouldn't the fed come out and just say when they plan to cut back on QE of watching investors gains erode. Wouldn't that make sense or am I just being a naive novice? The DOW is down over 300 this week on nothing more then speculation and fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Lot of speculators trying to read to much into each FED speech to get the jump on the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Speculators on Wall Street are famous for misreading Fed memos. You really can't blame the Fed for this one.
I would submit that people jumping in and out of the market on "news" of any sort are speculators, not investors. Your local 7-11 owner doesn't buy and sell his store every time the wind blows market moves, why should other investors?

Every utterance by the FOMC is parsed to death...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's funny when the market is up double digits for the year no one suggests any actions. But when we have a weekly downturn (not unheard of in summer), someone needs to DO SOMETHING!!!
some of us are very new at this and have questions. Thanks for answering them. Inquisitive minds should always ask those in the know. At least thats what I was told by someone who knows. LOL. thanks again.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Katwillny,
Your questions are good, and concerns valid. I do agree with Midpack though. Peaks and valleys happen. Sometimes it helps to look at the market less often....easy to drive yourself nuts; I use to do just that!

All my buys are long term, so I feel good when I see them up....when I see the, down...I tempted to buy more!

You may want to consider dividend producing stocks. When they go up, you will be happy....when down, you will be happy as your dividend yield goes up, and your DRIP earns you more shares.

Keep questioning! :-)