Join Early Retirement Today

fed talks about raising short term 1% by spring.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

fed talks about raising short term 1% by spring.

I was listening to the fed folks wanting to raise short term rates to 1% by next spring. does anyone know how that would affect the rates banks and credit unions are paying on cd's? I am looking for best guesses, not that anyone has a crystal ball.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, short term CDs will probably stabilize, might even increase by 0.5%.

Inflation may go up (further) though, in that case add in the extra inflation, also for longer term CDs.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

how about 5 yr cd's
Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

If the Fed raises rates, I would guess that CD rates would rise too.

More importantly, HELOC, ARM and new mortgage loans would raise, as would the amount the Federal Government has to pay on their loans/bonds. That may have a dramatic effect on the economy.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I noticed yesterday that the regular CD rates at Penfed have climbed over 2% again for the 5 and 7-year terms:

https://www.penfed.org/Certificates_Overview/#tabs-2
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Well, short term CDs will probably stabilize, might even increase by 0.5%.

Inflation may go up (further) though, in that case add in the extra inflation, also for longer term CDs.
Why will raising rates stimulate increase in inflation?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Looks like they will hold off on that now. Europe is not doing well so it might get delayed longer they said tonight on the news.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Why will raising rates stimulate increase in inflation?
Raising rates actually dampen inflation, but one of the reasons the Fed raises rates is because they think inflation may finally be picking up (in tandem with lower unemployment and economic growth).

So it's inflation trending upwards => Fed raises rate.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Raising rates actually dampen inflation, but one of the reasons the Fed raises rates is because they think inflation may finally be picking up (in tandem with lower unemployment and economic growth).

So it's inflation trending upwards => Fed raises rate.
Yes so they will be basically pushing inflation down and raising things like CD rates which will leave people with some money in their hand AFTER two things: inflation and taxes on CD payout.

Right now people ale loosing money in CDs.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

I haven't been loosing money on cd's but have just barely kept up with inflation. My theory is that so many people are getting into equities is they have no where else to go. I have some money in savings at 1%, and have seen cd's lately at 2.56% for five year. I would like to see them get over 3. before I go with a 5 year. 3% isn't great but with the way the government is playing with interest rates does anyone see it going over that in the next 5 years?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I haven't been loosing money on cd's but have just barely kept up with inflation. My theory is that so many people are getting into equities is they have no where else to go. I have some money in savings at 1%, and have seen cd's lately at 2.56% for five year. I would like to see them get over 3. before I go with a 5 year. 3% isn't great but with the way the government is playing with interest rates does anyone see it going over that in the next 5 years?
Well inflation is about 1.6%-1.8%. Lets say one is in 15% tax bracket. So I would need at least 2.1% to keep up with inflation. (that is if you are on low tax bracket)

If 1 year CD pays 2.1% plus you are right. (It pay more like 1.1 so will loose 1% of my money)

Now you can tell me 5 year CD pays that. But that is risky. Can you guaranteed inflation of 1.6-18% for NEXT 5 years. I don't think so.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

I have matured CD money at PenFed. I didn't buy a new CD because I was waiting to see if they would offer an after Christmas present on rates. However, I have recently received ads from them about 1yr, 1.2%APY. Is it hard to cancel and take the penalty if, say, they offer 3yr, 3%APY soon after the purchase?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CD rates over the next 5 years? Get out your crystal ball. All I know is that rates are very low and the big risk is that they will spike (further declines are limited by their very nature). As a result, I am leaving my 30 year fixed mortgage outstanding and when I buy CDs I will go as far out in maturity as I can so long as the early surrender penalty is not more than 1 or 2% of the D (typically like to see only a 6 month surrender penalty). That way I have a lot of optionality in my favor when it comes to interest rates. If rates spike, I cash in my CDs and buy new ones. If rates drop, I refinance my mortgage.

It is very easy to surrender a CD at Pen Fed and buy a new one if they have a sale. It may require a phone call to them, but they are nice about it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote