Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Thanks for all the responses. TurboTax has a page on this issue, looks like I have to file form 14039 with paper return. I may have to try to call them but yet to find the number to call.

Looks like I have a lot of work to do.
I googled it for you

IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit
800-908-4490

good luck.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Advice please! How to contact the IRS and how to correct this problem?

Thanks,
MP
This happened to me a few years back. Here is what I learned:

1 - It's not necessarily identity theft. It is most definitely fraud. Most likely, someone filed for a big refund under your SS# and name using fake documentation and some random address. They did not necessarily do anything else fraudulent with your identity.

2 - It's not about efiling. When I was hit with this I was filing a paper return by mail.

3 - Yes, you have to fill out the IRS ID theft form and send that in with your paper return.

4 - Yes, it's a good idea to check your credit reports and make sure nothing else fishy is going on.

5 - This may take awhile...

6 - If it takes *too* long, you should think about using the Taxpayer Advocate Service - think of it as hiring a middleman to sit on hold in your place.

In our case, once the initial fraud issue was cleared up, our refund ended up in some sort of big government limbo. Every call I was told "That's odd - this refund was cleared but never sent through!" After several of those calls, I got the Taxpayer Advocate on the case. In the end, there was about a three-year gap between my initial filing and the receipt of my refund.

Good luck!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. TurboTax has a page on this issue, looks like I have to file form 14039 with paper return. I may have to try to call them but yet to find the number to call.

Looks like I have a lot of work to do.
From one of the earlier IRS links:

........... contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490. We have teams available to assist.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I am on hold with the IRS

800-908-4490
US IRS Identity Theft Phone Number: Customer Service
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
This happened to me a few years back. Here is what I learned:

1 - It's not necessarily identity theft. It is most definitely fraud. Most likely, someone filed for a big refund under your SS# and name using fake documentation and some random address. They did not necessarily do anything else fraudulent with your identity.

2 - It's not about efiling. When I was hit with this I was filing a paper return by mail.

3 - Yes, you have to fill out the IRS ID theft form and send that in with your paper return.

4 - Yes, it's a good idea to check your credit reports and make sure nothing else fishy is going on.

5 - This may take awhile...

6 - If it takes *too* long, you should think about using the Taxpayer Advocate Service - think of it as hiring a middleman to sit on hold in your place.

In our case, once the initial fraud issue was cleared up, our refund ended up in some sort of big government limbo. Every call I was told "That's odd - this refund was cleared but never sent through!" After several of those calls, I got the Taxpayer Advocate on the case. In the end, there was about a three-year gap between my initial filing and the receipt of my refund.

Good luck!
Thank you Glenn, three years would not be good as I have a big refund coming back to me.

How did you address the State Tax Return? My State Tax Return was also rejected because my Fed Tax was rejected?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
I am on hold with the IRS

800-908-4490
US IRS Identity Theft Phone Number: Customer Service
OOoh boy, I waited over four hours once.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Thank you Glenn, three years would not be good as I have a big refund coming back to me.

How did you address the State Tax Return? My State Tax Return was also rejected because my Fed Tax was rejected?
No state income tax in Texas...

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Fed Tax E File Recjected - somebody already filed using my SS number - what t...
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #28

Fed Tax E File Recjected - somebody already filed using my SS number - what t...

I never trust the IRS. My husband's records were compromised and he was a government employee. I always owe tax so if the IRS sent my tax refund to somebody, the IRS has to make it up. My kid got her tax back. I breathed a sigh relief. I wasn't sure for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Talked to the IRS agent after 15 minutes, not too bad. Given same info as on their website. The agent did verify that somebody already filed a return under my SS number.
The agent also said that the case should take about 180 days to resolve.
Definitely a headache, will have to go to the police department to report this ID theft as well.
Still have to figure out what to do with my State Tax return.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #30

Sorry to hear that.

I want to file early to avoid this issue but my brokerages kept sending me revised tax data even after Feb. One year, I had to refile b/c of this.

I decided to file yesterday and they went through. Thanks goodness.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I want to file early to avoid this issue but my brokerages kept sending me revised tax data even after Feb. One year, I had to refile b/c of this.
I've come to the conclusion the risk of what happened to Disappointed is of far greater concern than the minor inconvenience of having to file an amended return.

My new motto: "File early and file often"
Old 03-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

well if the perp got a refund - we can safely assume he/she did, then the OP's refund, if any, may be tied up for a few years because of this
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well if the perp got a refund - we can safely assume he/she did, then the OP's refund, if any, may be tied up for a few years because of this
Not my understanding. Once the victim confirms with the IRS that fraud has taken place, the process to get the lawful return filed and excess tax refunded will take months but should happen this year.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've come to the conclusion the risk of what happened to Disappointed is of far greater concern than the minor inconvenience of having to file an amended return.

My new motto: "File early and file often"

Agreed. I will be filing the next year's returns as soon as all the data are received.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

So why not file a $1 return on Jan 1 with just your W2 info and then file an amended return sometime in March/April when you have your forms. This way your SS# will already have record of being filed.

Doesn't most tax software give you like 5 free filings?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #36

One free exile I believe. But I always file paper return. I owe them money, I'm not in a hurry is my motto.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

If everyone started filing early, how likely is it that a**holes bad guys would switch to sending in amended returns? Or do amended returns go through enough checks to prevent fraud?
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
So why not file a $1 return on Jan 1 with just your W2 info and then file an amended return sometime in March/April when you have your forms. This way your SS# will already have record of being filed.

Doesn't most tax software give you like 5 free filings?
This is a great idea! I don't know why we worry so much about amending returns in this digital age.

When this happened to me, I was hit by a bit of a double-whammy. Not only did someone file a fraudulent return in my name, but my own return wasn't filed until much later. I was due a refund, and I had been busy (a.k.a., procrastinating) so I filed both my 2010 and 2011 returns in the spring of 2012. The 2011 return and refund went through just fine. I received my 2010 refund in 2015.

My big takeaway was "File early" (but not often ) I may break my cardinal rule and actually sign up early when TaxAct starts emailing me early purchase discounts...
Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from the police department, they don't have anyone at the desk anymore. Need to come home and call to have an officer come to my house to take a report, learned something new today.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I never trust the IRS. My husband's records were compromised and he was a government employee. I always owe tax so if the IRS sent my tax refund to somebody, the IRS has to make it up. My kid got her tax back. I breathed a sigh relief. I wasn't sure for a while.
Is this the case? If you owe, just file and even if someone has defrauded the IRS and gotten a refund, you don't have to worry about it? Or do you still have to go through the hassle of proving you are you? If I've paid them, and I always end up owing them, would I care if their records are wrong? How would that work?