Federal Income Tax Reform Suggestion Box

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is a fed-sponsored suggestion box for how to fix the federal tax code. This link is: Contact Us

There is a fed-sponsored suggestion box for how to fix the federal tax code. This link is: Contact Us

For me, this falls in the category of "if you have to ask, what's the point?".

I may still take a look, but I'll just point to that 2004 (IIRC) bi-partisan proposal on tax simplification. It was far from what is needed, but it did have some substance to it.

Heck, I might even add something - There will be no tax code that is not definitive. Don't use weasel words like 'essentially similar' (as used in wash sale rules). It either is a wash or it isn't. One cannot invoke "ignorance of the law is no excuse" to the common man when even the lawmakers cannot provide the answer.

heh-heh - I'll stop now, I feel a rant coming on ;)

(edit/add) heh-heh - I'm back:

This year’s report is dedicated to the hardy souls who have worked actively over the years for tax reform and tax simplification, and to the busy majority of U.S. taxpayers who are cheering for them to succeed.”
Nina E. Olson, National Taxpayer Advocate

Umm, was there a report last year? What happened?

-ERD50

Thanks for the link. I didn't expect it from the IRS. But, I tried and couldn't get past the anti-spam challenge. I'll try again later.

This is also the severe audit volunteer line, isn't it?

Replace the income tax with a national real estate tax.

I guess your cynicism runs in the same river as mine. :)

Ha

Let's just say that an idea of how things work inside the gubmint machinery (operating at three guinea pig power) makes me just a touch unlikely to ever submit a suggestion.

At little glitch in the income tax. If you have company stock in a 401k and withdraw the stock you pay capital gains on any value increase over what you (or your employeer paid). Since TPTB want to discourage company stock as an investment, why not just make it like any other withdrawl. (I suspect this also applies to deferred comp plans where employeers pay bonuses in stock, so it will be hard to fix).

As a start, maybe Mr Geitner could just sit down again with TurboTax and have his staff take notes as he walks through the preparation of his 2010 return. Anything that's not clear gets special attention.

As a start, maybe Mr Geitner could just sit down again with TurboTax and have his staff take notes as he walks through the preparation of his 2010 return. Anything that's not clear gets special attention.
Hopefully an Intuit team will also be standing by to pay special attention to the parts that are their fault!

Back
Top Bottom