Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Health insurance cost more than doubled from 2015-2018. Given the political climate in early 2017, I wasn't sure it would even be there. I just need to budget for a new reality. Yes, it can be done. I feel more emotionally ready now. Before I was just tired and burnt out.
You have a cash reserve and can control your income to a point of going on the ACA and receiving full subsidies and cost subsidies, You could receive a no cost Silver ACA plan with 50.00 ded and 2450 Out of Pocket max.

You may choose to not take advantage of this tax law, but that is by choice.

You could definitely retire now and not worry about health insurance for the short term.

Long term, who knows?

Good luck to you,

VW

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The OP has more than enough assets for the budget that she has in mind. The question is how to structure the withdrawal to minimize taxable income, and that is something to think about even if there were no ACA cliff issue to contend with.

To the above end, one does not want to withdraw from IRA, and lives off the after-tax money only. One needs to think about how to invest for cap gain and not for dividends, as the cap gain realization can be under the investor control.

In contrast with the OP who has more in the after-tax account than in her tax-deferred account, we had more in our IRA and 401k. Unfortunately, we could not access it prior to 59-1/2, and did not want to start the restrictive 72t withdrawal. So, we lived off the after-tax, and nearly depleted it.

In the pre-ACA days, the only concern was taxes, and I was happy to realize around $100K/year of cap gain while paying little taxes because we had enough deductions on top of the zero-tax-cap-gain bracket. And we were able to do that for a couple of years.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you're good to go but I'll ask the question I always ask. Do you have any back-ups to your plan? Anyplace you can cut back if push comes to shove? I see you having skills that would allow you to go back to w*rk - even if your skills begin to degrade a bit (or, more likely, technology takes more giant leaps forward and leaves you to catch up.) So far, you've had people begging you to come to w*rk. I don't see that changing. But, just in case, I'd be certain there is something I could give up (or put off) until, say, MC and SS kick in. As always, good luck and YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #24

My OMY plan got moved up by several months. Long story, but I'm really hating going to work each day. I'm quitting in May--they will have plenty of time to hire someone else, and we now have enough people that they could pick up my shifts anyway. I'll put away what cash I can, and sell some from the taxable next year since I'll be working half the year and won't be able to lower my tax bill all that much until 2020. Not only that, it looks like HI premiums are going down in PA next year.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #25

Congrats for making a decision and taking things in your own hands...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #26

Quote:
What do you all think?

You have plenty of dough. IMHO you will be OMY syndrome forever until Medicare kicks in.

Do you value your time over your money? Because time will run out. It's not your responsibility to provide Healthcare for your son, unless he is incapacitated or unable to himself for some reason then maybe help.

With 3mil invested, even a gain of 4% is 120k. I think you are in analysis paralysis...what exactly are you waiting for again?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is the cost for cobra? A HSA type plan may be reasonable and better than aca.
NH Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you have Roth money you may be able to use Roth withdrawals to avoid going over the cliff.
I wish I did, but I don't. I went through a 3 year period of inadequate income trying to build a private practice with a difficult partner and actually had to spend down some of my investments (ouch!).

It's ok either way. I can't wait to get to May. I'm so excited.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #29

Quote:
I wish I did, but I don't. I went through a 3 year period of inadequate income trying to build a private practice with a difficult partner and actually had to spend down some of my investments (ouch!).

It's ok either way. I can't wait to get to May. I'm so excited.
You are taking care of yourself that's why you feel excited..when I read you were a pediatric hospitalist I thought to myself that has to be an extremely stressful job and ripe for burnout.

My DH and I had some wonderful hospitalist care during the problems after his MV replacement and you are a combo of handholder, point of care focus and pretty much jack of all trades. When you care for children and their upset parents it must be even more difficult...you have more then earned your downtime and retirement.

ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote