Feedback on my final OMY plan

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been here 4 years, and have attempted ER twice. My financial fears get in the way, especially with respect to health insurance fears. So, I need feedback on whether or not I am good to go next year:

I am a hospitalist pediatrician. In 2014, I had about $3M in assets total, and quit working full time. The group and the area I work in have had physician shortages, so I was begged into working on a contract basis on and off for a couple of years. From July 2016 to July 2017, I did not work at all. It was great. However, health insurance costs are frightening in PA. For two of us, we were paying $22000/year in premiums alone. It would have hit $28K/year this year.

The group I worked with suddenly got assigned to take over another unit, with no time to hire new full time physicians. I was called and asked if I would come back to work, in an are that I enjoyed, but my skill set was rusty. I went back, got benefits, which means HI costs are minimal. And DS gets on our health insurance one last year.

I'm trying to put away about 2 years expenses in cash before quitting, by not reinvesting dividends and saving extra earnings in cash vehicles. It's been difficult due some car expenses, appliance failures, roof replacement, and other expenses. I'm about halfway there and see more savings then spending in the next year.

Where I am at:
Investments:
$950K in IRA ( I rolled my 401K into an IRA when I quit full time 4 years ago)
$64K in inherited IRA (need to w/d $3K/year minimum)
$2.35M in after tax investments 60/40
$80K-$100K cash assets
Other asset: 1/4 share of an orchard, nets about $4K/yr for me, but for the next few years will net $0 as we change out tree types. Value of my share is about $100K.

Debt: $75K on a HELOC--paid for roof, new deck, and solar installation. Needs to be paid off in 2024.

I don't count paid off house at this time ($300K-350K) as we don't want to move.

budget is about $70K/year + HI, so about $100K/year if we pay for HI ourselves.

I-ORP and FireCalc say I'm fine.

My plan: Work through next summer, giving the group time to find another pediatrician to replace me--it took 14 months to finally be fully staffed!
Save as much as cash as I can--no plans to replace cars in the next 3-4 years, and travel will not be too expensive, and is figured in our budget.

After retirement plans: We have several things we want to do travel-wise, so travel budget will be $10-15K/year, sometimes less, sometimes more.
DH makes about $5K/year in music. My orchard makes about $4K/year.

I hope to get a degree in music performance and start teaching in my home again. There are several schools in our area that will work for this, and will fit in our annual budget.

I would like to quit sooner, but would like to build up the cash first. I'm planning on giving notice at the end of this year, with a flexible end date so that the partners don't get over-worked again, but can quit as soon as someone is credentialled and trained.

What do you all think?

You will be at or below a 3% WR. And, I assume SS in the future? So, you know the answer. But sometimes you just have to jump. It will be great. And as I have mentioned in other threads, shortly after fire you will wonder why you did not leave sooner. Congrats. :)

Of course SS in the future.[emoji16]

Need to go now. At an effective <3%WR with SS, you are in a safety zone which has worked 100% of the time in the past.
Free time can't be measured.

Just played 2 hours of pickleball with 5 other retirees today. It is Thursday and we are NOT working................

If you are truly enjoying the w*rk, then go with your plan. If not, I would tell them NOW that they should start looking for your replacement and leave when they are on board. You could offer to stay on part-time for a period if that would help (or not). Remember that it is YOUR decision how to spend your time now that you are FI.

I know the HI is scary, but if you have budgeted for it, then it's just another expense.

If you are truly enjoying the w*rk, then go with your plan. If not, I would tell them NOW that they should start looking for your replacement and leave when they are on board. You could offer to stay on part-time for a period if that would help (or not). Remember that it is YOUR decision how to spend your time now that you are FI.

I know the HI is scary, but if you have budgeted for it, then it's just another expense.

Agree with other posters. Sounds like you’re financially ready and just need to be emotionally ready. Best wishes!

Health insurance cost more than doubled from 2015-2018. Given the political climate in early 2017, I wasn't sure it would even be there. I just need to budget for a new reality. Yes, it can be done. I feel more emotionally ready now. Before I was just tired and burnt out.

IMHO, you're more than financially ready, but not mentally ready! Do you have something to retire TO? Hobbies? You said you enjoyed your couple of years off. How does spending the rest of your life that way sound? No need financially for OMY, unless you want to.

It’s all about 3 things:

How much money do you have?

What are your annual expenses?

How many years do you need it to last?

Can’t figure it out without your age.

I meant what are your annual expenses minus your annual income in retirement such as Social Security annuities pension payments

Health insurance costs will be sketchy today as well as 5 years from today. Definitely something you have to mentally make peace with and budget for. Thats about all you have control over except managing your AGI for potential subsidies. You seem to have plenty of funds in a taxable account to manage AGI if you choose to do so.

I'm almost 59, DH is the same age. 6 years to Medicare. And if the orchard and DH don't make too much money, cap gains distributions and dividends will keep me just under the cliff. If I have to sell assets, some of the equities have been there a long time, and the cap gains put us over the ACA cliff. So I'm building up the cash to give me the ability to stay under the ACA cliff. It looks like the ACA will be around awhile; I wasn't so sure in 2017 when I decided to go back to work for benefits.

If you have Roth money you may be able to use Roth withdrawals to avoid going over the cliff.

Health insurance cost more than doubled from 2015-2018. Given the political climate in early 2017, I wasn't sure it would even be there. I just need to budget for a new reality. Yes, it can be done. I feel more emotionally ready now. Before I was just tired and burnt out.

You have a cash reserve and can control your income to a point of going on the ACA and receiving full subsidies and cost subsidies, You could receive a no cost Silver ACA plan with 50.00 ded and 2450 Out of Pocket max.

You may choose to not take advantage of this tax law, but that is by choice.

You could definitely retire now and not worry about health insurance for the short term.

Long term, who knows?

Good luck to you,

VW

The OP has more than enough assets for the budget that she has in mind. The question is how to structure the withdrawal to minimize taxable income, and that is something to think about even if there were no ACA cliff issue to contend with.

To the above end, one does not want to withdraw from IRA, and lives off the after-tax money only. One needs to think about how to invest for cap gain and not for dividends, as the cap gain realization can be under the investor control.

In contrast with the OP who has more in the after-tax account than in her tax-deferred account, we had more in our IRA and 401k. Unfortunately, we could not access it prior to 59-1/2, and did not want to start the restrictive 72t withdrawal. So, we lived off the after-tax, and nearly depleted it.

In the pre-ACA days, the only concern was taxes, and I was happy to realize around $100K/year of cap gain while paying little taxes because we had enough deductions on top of the zero-tax-cap-gain bracket. And we were able to do that for a couple of years.

Last edited:
I think you're good to go but I'll ask the question I always ask. Do you have any back-ups to your plan? Anyplace you can cut back if push comes to shove? I see you having skills that would allow you to go back to w*rk - even if your skills begin to degrade a bit (or, more likely, technology takes more giant leaps forward and leaves you to catch up.) So far, you've had people begging you to come to w*rk. I don't see that changing. But, just in case, I'd be certain there is something I could give up (or put off) until, say, MC and SS kick in. As always, good luck and YMMV.

My OMY plan got moved up by several months. Long story, but I'm really hating going to work each day. I'm quitting in May--they will have plenty of time to hire someone else, and we now have enough people that they could pick up my shifts anyway. I'll put away what cash I can, and sell some from the taxable next year since I'll be working half the year and won't be able to lower my tax bill all that much until 2020. Not only that, it looks like HI premiums are going down in PA next year.

Congrats for making a decision and taking things in your own hands...

Back
Top Bottom