Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
When I started out, I thought 12% was the norm. Wrong. By the time I wised up it was almost too late. If I get 6% nominal from here out, I will be ecstatic.

I am shooting for 4% w/d rate not corrected for inflation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I am using 6% nominal 3% real in my planning currently. I am hoping that is conservative.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's frustrating when the goalpost moves farther away.
I was lucky--I started investing in the mid-80s, and the expectation of 8% real returns made it easy to stay motivated to put money away every month. It would be harder today, but even more important.

Well, there's this "cheery thought:" When stocks eventually take the plunge from their presently high PE ratios, you'll be able to buy them more cheaply with any money you rebalance and with your continual contribution from your paycheck. And, at that cheap price level, perhaps the dividend yield will go back up to something approaching the historical average.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To get a longer perspective look at this site which calculates returns on the s&P 500 or predecessor index going back to 1871. CAGR of the Stock Market: Annualized Returns of the S&P 500, which if you click the include dividends and adjust for inflation boxes suggests a return of 6.86 percent per annum and $1 grew to 15k covering 2 great depressions (1893 and 1929 and a third bad period the panic of 1873). The average return on the web site is listed as 8.53.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #24

Since discovering AA, my rate of return has dropped to an average of 5.68%

Figure I'll take out at RMD rate when I hit 70. Hope pension / SSA covers me
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #25

I too got discouraged. Then I went fishing and even though I didn't catch anything I wasn't discouraged about retirement anymore. Capise?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Two guys were out fishing on the river set up the lawn chairs and one guy noticed that nothing was twitching the other guys rod so he reeled it in and said "you ain't got no bait on your hook"

The other guy said "I know"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe Dave Ramsey uses 12% return to encourage saving and investing vs. spending and borrowing. I think that anyone who quotes a steady 12% return is just trying to sell you something.

I've tried to keep my expectations reasonable so I don't get discouraged. During my accumulation phase (1986 to June 2009), my average annual return was about 2.5%. A non-linear contribution rate and sequence of returns really killed my average rate of return. Not having to withdraw any of my retirement account, it has doubled since 2009.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I believe Dave Ramsey uses 12% return to encourage saving and investing vs. spending and borrowing. I think that anyone who quotes a steady 12% return is just trying to sell you something.
Just 1 of my problems with DR. I'd rather have real numbers

Eventually compounding takes over
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #29

12% might be a bit high but not totally out of whack if you use growth funds. A 100% stock fund has returned 10.1% on average since 1926 according to Vanguard.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...io-allocations
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

While I certainly wish that future returns were higher, I would not go so far as to say I was discouraged. It does help that inflation is low, so part of your return reduction (nominal to real) is better than your statement. I started saving at 21 and my spending is under control, so I will manage with a 2-2.5% WR. Good luck to you.