Join Early Retirement Today

Feeling like a DMT...
Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feeling like a DMT...

DMT is of course, a Dirty Market Timer, and I have no desire to be one. HOWEVER, with the rise in stock and bonds prices over the last two months, yields are down (I mostly buy dividend paying stocks), while the yield on my savings account is up quite a bit to 5.15%. So far this year I have been pretty good about making monthly contributions to my taxable account (401k and Roth are maxed out already) but with the current situation, I am tempted to let some extra cash accumulate in my savings account until the market has a few bad days. I'm still early in the accumulate phase, and I know I should stick with my asset allocation, but it's tempting to let the cash% rise from 10% to 15% given these circumstances.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Feeling like a DMT...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I am tempted to let some extra cash accumulate in my savings account until the market has a few bad days. I'm still early in the accumulate phase, and I know I should stick with my asset allocation, but it's tempting to let the cash% rise from 10% to 15% given these circumstances.
Yahoo, there goes another one walking on the wild side.*

Ha

Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I am tempted to let some extra cash accumulate in my savings account until the market has a few bad days.
If you did this, then a bad day in the Market for you would be if the Dow rose about 500 points.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, I wish I knew the future too.

Nothing wrong with a plan, written plan, that calls for lesser/greater percentages in one investment or another based on relative valuations. That's what Ben Graham (sp?) said oh so many years ago.

OTOH, if its not part of a thought out plan, you'll just start chasing, and lose the benefit of time and compounding.

I really do wish I knew the future, at least of stock prices