Join Early Retirement Today

feeling peevish
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

feeling peevish

Got a teacher, new to our office complex this year, who has in the past doled out literature, business cards, etc. to the staff for her side business: financial services. I have been content to transfer said material directly to the round file without comment, although I think it is unprofessional (try to keep my yap shut and do my job).

Today she comes in with a brochure for me, glossy financial "newsletter" piece o'crap with her mug in the upper corner and financial analyst underneath. One article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.

Now the thing is, this lady is dumber than dirt. When she opens her mouth, she is guaranteed to embarrass herself (not to mention the tonal quality is fingernails on chalkboard). So I do a little digging, look at her web site, follow the link to the mother-ship, some company franchising out this home business selling insurance products to suckers friends, relatives and apparently co-workers, and now my steam is starting to rise. So rather than go next door and give her the beat down that would do the world a favor, I thought I'd open the bleed valve here instead.

As much as I value avoidance and procrastination, one of these days I'll have to ask her to cease and desist with the soft sell, in the kindly, professional manner that I use with pests and idiots. Maybe I'll show her a graph of the likelihood that she'll ever sell to me, complete with snowballs melting in hell and me with a devilish grin.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: feeling peevish
Old 10-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You say "teacher" and then you say "office complex." I'm confused. Is this person a teacher bringing her side-job business literature into a school and handing it out in the office or ??

If that's the case, an anonymous note to the Dist Superintendent will bring it to a quick halt. When you write the note, keep your personal feelings toward her (you don't like her voice, you think she's dumb) out if it. Just state that the teacher shouldn't be promoting her business within the school.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sound like you have another big reason to look forward to ER!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
GOne article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.
While I do not know the entire picture, this is certainly information that most people could use. I cannot count the people who think 8-12% is a SWR in retirement. While most here may consider 5% to high, other would agree it is acceptable and it is certainly not ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

I guess the question that comes to my mind for her is, "Why in the world would anyone hire a "financial analyst" who can't even make a full time living at the business, when there are many many more experienced, qualified people out there? How can she be staying current with the industry when she works as a teacher? What are her qualifications? Does she have a degree in finance?"

But then why encourage her?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #6

Continue your avoidance routine.

And follow Telly's simple three-step method:

1) Reposition your wastebasket so it can be seen more easily.

2) Crunch up a few pages of newspaper to fill your wastebasket up.

3) Set the offending brochure, face up, on top of the refuse.

Repeat procedure as needed!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
You say "teacher" and then you say "office complex." I'm confused. Is this person a teacher bringing her side-job business literature into a school and handing it out in the office
Yes. Am not, have never been and don't intend to become a rat.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuzzard
While I do not know the entire picture, this is certainly information that most people could use. I cannot count the people who think 8-12% is a SWR in retirement. While most here may consider 5% to high, other would agree it is acceptable and it is certainly not ridiculous.
Agree. Don't know how I lived this long without the Variable Universal Life product touted in the next paragraph.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
How can she be staying current with the industry when she works as a teacher?...

But then why encourage her?
Exactly. One of the worst teachers I've seen in 30 years. Students hate her, other teachers can't stand her, stuck her with us because we are out of the way and are the district dumping grounds for rejects (hey, what does that say about me). Potential clients are advised on her web site to leave a message as she is always out on appointments advising her clientele. Huh, I thought she was working her day job.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
Continue your avoidance routine.

And follow Telly's simple three-step method:

1) Reposition your wastebasket so it can be seen more easily.

2) Crunch up a few pages of newspaper to fill your wastebasket up.

3) Set the offending brochure, face up, on top of the refuse.

Repeat procedure as needed!
Telly, you're the man! (or not, if you are female?).
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got a teacher, new to our office complex this year, who has in the past doled out literature, business cards, etc. to the staff for her side business: financial services. I have been content to transfer said material directly to the round file without comment, although I think it is unprofessional (try to keep my yap shut and do my job).

Today she comes in with a brochure for me, glossy financial "newsletter" piece o'crap with her mug in the upper corner and financial analyst underneath. One article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.

Now the thing is, this lady is dumber than dirt. When she opens her mouth, she is guaranteed to embarrass herself (not to mention the tonal quality is fingernails on chalkboard). So I do a little digging, look at her web site, follow the link to the mother-ship, some company franchising out this home business selling insurance products to suckers friends, relatives and apparently co-workers, and now my steam is starting to rise. So rather than go next door and give her the beat down that would do the world a favor, I thought I'd open the bleed valve here instead.

As much as I value avoidance and procrastination, one of these days I'll have to ask her to cease and desist with the soft sell, in the kindly, professional manner that I use with pests and idiots. Maybe I'll show her a graph of the likelihood that she'll ever sell to me, complete with snowballs melting in hell and me with a devilish grin.
Sounds like a Primerica rep...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #12

Primerica, wow! I kept wondering how long before that name came up. Seriously, FinanceDude should start a seperate thread on them.....I have experiences to post.

Ronin........please please please kindly and professionally(sp) tell this pest to delete you from her distribution route as you have no need of these services......if she persists you should inform management. In the meantime, feel free to vent here anytime you feel the need!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #13

A copy of the glossy flyer might "somehow" find its way to some higher-up who would look unkindly upon said flyer? In the meantime you might take aside any of the potential "clients" that you care about and make sure they know that this kind of investment advice is unlikely to be in their best interests.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
A copy of the glossy flyer might "somehow" find its way to some higher-up who would look unkindly upon said flyer? In the meantime you might take aside any of the potential "clients" that you care about and make sure they know that this kind of investment advice is unlikely to be in their best interests.
I don't see it as "investment advice"...........more like: "We know what's best for you, and it's insurance".............

Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Send a message via AIM to excellent

Is it possible that there are non-idiots that work within these types of companies whose actual goals are to help the people they encounter? I am asking because I want to be a (as I've been all my life) responsible person who actually cares about the people I set out to help, and not about my own paycheck when it's all said and done.
I&#039;m here to share what I learn and learn what I&#039;ll share!<br />Have a great day!<br />(:
excellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellent
Is it possible that there are non-idiots that work within these types of companies whose actual goals are to help the people they encounter?
Certainly most of the employees are "non-idiots" and many may have a sincere wish to help others. Problem is they have drunk the Kool-Aid been convinced by the company the products they sell really are good for people when they are a ripoff.

You're 19 years old. Forget about selling insurance for now. Go chase girls and live a little.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Certainly most of the employees are "non-idiots" and many may have a sincere wish to help others. Problem is they have drunk the Kool-Aid been convinced by the company the products they sell really are good for people when they are a ripoff.

You're 19 years old. Forget about selling insurance for now. Go chase girls and live a little.
Good advice.....listen to the sage..........

Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Am not, have never been and don't intend to become a rat.
Good for you Ronin. This doesn't need the intervention of management. Tell her off if she really gets to you, or organize a group cold shoulder. Tell Big Nurse? Never.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

As an aside comment to Sheryl, did Soros or Buffet ever have a degree in finance ?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet
As an aside comment to Sheryl, did Soros or Buffet ever have a degree in finance ?
Buffett has a master's in economics. I think he studied the same for his undergraduate degree, but this was in the late '40s/early '50s.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote