Join Early Retirement Today

FICO score
Old 01-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FICO score

I am thinking of buying a house in the next year or so. If I buy a new house, my plan is to take out a short term mortgage on the new house and sell the current house once I've moved. Once the current house sells I will use the proceeds to pay down the mortgage or hopefully pay it off in full.

Today I ordered a FICO score from Experian. I expected I would rank in the highest category. Instead it returned a score of 825 out of 990 giving me a B rating.

My file contains the following:

Credit Items:

VISA

$8,500 limit. One 30 days past due (I was late by a few days about four or five years ago). High balance $5,716 recent balance $2,698. I pay this card off monthly and charge most living expenses on it for the frequent flyer miles and to keep track of my spending. Date opened 01/1990

Macy's credit card

$500 limit. Open, never late. Opened 06/2006. High balance $364 Recent Balance $0.

Mortgage

Original amount $87,500. Paid, closed/never late Date opened 09/1993 Last reported 08/2005.

Car loan

Bank of America. Original Amount $5,062. Paid, closed/never late. Date Opened 09/1993. Last reported 11/1997.

Car loan

American Honda Finance. Original Amount $10,644. Paid, closed/never late. Date opened 08/2003. Last reported 10/2004.

So, I've paid off a house and two cars early and have had the same credit card for 17 years.

I'm puzzled why my score isn't higher. The one 30 day late can't be dinging me that much. The only thing I can think of to raise the score is to increase my VISA limit.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can raise this score ?

I would think the fact that we have no debt and a fairly high gross income would help us with the loan rate, is this correct ? Any idea how big of a deal my "B" rating is in the big picture of getting a loan ?

Thanks,

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FICO score
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would ask the bank to bump your CC limit, but otherwise don't sweat it. Your score is more than adequate to get the best mortgage rates.

FWIW, I saw an article a while back that indicated a large chunk of those with the very highest credit scores were dead.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm, no, I was going to say try raising the limit on your credit card, but I don't know how much difference that will make.

DH and I bought a house 6 months ago with, I think, slightly lower scores, and we still qualified for the lowest advertised mortgage rates with our credit union, no extra documentation or hassle.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
FWIW, I saw an article a while back that indicated a large chunk of those with the very highest credit scores were dead.
Oh crap. I don't like that option.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #5

I was under the impression that the highest score is 850.... Maybe things have changed recently.

Based on your score you will still get the best offers from lenders as it is considered above average.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Oh crap. I don't like that option.
Yeah, but lenders just want to see that you are over the line. They don't care by how much. Your score is more than adequate.

- George Orwell

Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout
I was under the impression that the highest score is 850.... Maybe things have changed recently.

Based on your score you will still get the best offers from lenders as it is considered above average.
The top FICO score is 850. However, what you get from any of the three credit bureaus is a "credit score" not a "FICO" score. The "credit" scores' use a different range of numbers.

To get your FICO score, go to http://www.myfico.com
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
I also thought 850 was the top score.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #9

Just a quick footnote to my post a few minutes ago:

I check up on my credit report at the minimum 3 times a year (one report each quarter), using http://annualcreditreport.com . And usually I check my FICO score about twice a year (mostly for "sh*ts & giggles"....and bragging rights amongst my financially feeble co-w*rkers....yes, I'm an a**hole!!).
Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
The top FICO score is 850. However, what you get from any of the three credit bureaus is a "credit score" not a "FICO" score. The "credit" scores' use a different range of numbers.

To get your FICO score, go to http://www.myfico.com
I checked the site out early, but I don't see where I can buy just the FICO score. The closes I found is the FICO Standard. This is what it says:

"*About FICO scores and credit reports
FICO scores are the credit scores most lenders use to determine your credit risk. You have three FICO scores, one for each of the three credit bureaus – Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. Each FICO score is based on the information that each credit bureau keeps on file about you. As the information in each of your credit reports change, your credit scores tend to change as well. When you purchase your FICO scores and credit reports, you are getting a snapshot that is accurate at the time of your purchase. However, it’s important to note that as the information in your credit reports changes, your FICO scores can also change. That’s why we recommend checking all three of your FICO scores and credit reports regularly - at least once a year."

They want $15.95 for the credit report and "FICO" score from each reporting agency. It sounds like the same thing I can get for $5.95 since the credit report is free.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
I checked the site out early, but I don't see where I can buy just the FICO score. The closes I found is the FICO Standard.
They want $15.95 for the credit report and "FICO" score from each reporting agency. It sounds like the same thing I can get for $5.95 since the credit report is free.
Though I didn't remember the cost off the top of head, you're correct that there is a charge at myfico for a FICO score, and no charge for just a regular credit report at annualcreditreport.

My original post in response to the OP was simply to differenciate between a FICO score and the credit scores given by the 3 bureaus.

The first time I obtained my FICO score was merely out of curiosity.....now (as stated previously) I do it MOSTLY for "sh*ts & giggles" and harrassment purposes at w*rk.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am one of the people who have no idea what my FICO score is....

It will cost me MONEY to find out... so why would I want to pay for a useless score
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #13

FYI, I just found this. You can use the code CPPSAVINGS to get a 20% discount on the FICO Deluxe for all three reports and FICO scores.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

When we refinanced a while ago, the loan folks gave us our FICO scores and the a copy of the report. They give you the top 4 reasons for why your score is not perfect. Since you paid for your report and score, you may have some top reasons somewhere on the report for why it is the way it is.

I think myfico.com also lists some of those reasons, so just go through those reasons for ideas. I'll guess the 30-day late is a big one. Others I have seen are not enough credit used and too much credit used.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #15

Thanks all. I will file a dispute with the 3 credit agencies. The one late payment was from when I first started using the online bill pay. My payment was credited to my savings account, it happened four times after that but I caught the error in time.

I'll be curious as to how much of an impact it will have if I can get it removed. I don't really have any proof. I guess I'll research how to dispute an error.

Thanks for all your help.

-helen
Old 01-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I suspect it won't make much difference, but there is no harm in filing a dispute. Many times someone files a dispute and the creditor never responds to the credit bureau, so they have to drop the black mark. I don't think it will matter anyway, since you more than qualify for top rates. Remember, we are living in a workld where anyone who can fog a mirror and falsify fill out an application gets a humongous mortgage.

- George Orwell

Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

FICO...........what a scam!
Once upon a time, Fair Isaac said lenders could not reveal credit scores to consumers as it would game the system. Now that they have no choice, they're selling the scores left and right.

Honestly, Helen.............other than correcting any errors, your score should be plenty high enough to get the best mortgage rates. I've tried to fix errors on my file and it can be extremely difficult.......especially when they are trivial anyway. I monitor 3 bureaus quarterly just to monitor who is monitoring me and to protect against ID theft.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
FICO...........what a scam!
Once upon a time, Fair Isaac said lenders could not reveal credit scores to consumers as it would game the system. Now that they have no choice, they're selling the scores left and right.

Honestly, Helen.............other than correcting any errors, your score should be plenty high enough to get the best mortgage rates. I've tried to fix errors on my file and it can be extremely difficult.......especially when they are trivial anyway. I monitor 3 bureaus quarterly just to monitor who is monitoring me and to protect against ID theft.
Ditto, I pay to have my credit report monitored. As much as I hate to pay for the service, it insures that I won't fall pray to ID theft again.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks all. I will file a dispute with the 3 credit agencies. The one late payment was from when I first started using the online bill pay. My payment was credited to my savings account, it happened four times after that but I caught the error in time.
I'll be curious as to how much of an impact it will have if I can get it removed. I don't really have any proof. I guess I'll research how to dispute an error.
It's not a waste of your time, but raising your score from 825 won't improve the interest rate on your mortgage or give you a deal on any of the other financing requirements. People who are struggling to obtain loans have FICO scores down in the low 600s or even lower. Your score is higher than ours and we're regularly pelted with offers to borrow other people's money at attractive rates.

Your time might be better spent on open houses & on researching credit union financing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ditto, I pay to have my credit report monitored. As much as I hate to pay for the service, it insures that I won't fall pray to ID theft again.
How so? Someone can still steal your ID even with credit report monitoring.
With free credit reports available why pay for it? If you are married, you can get 6 free credit reports per year. You get one in Jan, May, Sep. Your spouse gets one in Mar, July, Nov. That's one every two months. It costs nothing.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote