Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity 2013 Retirement Savings Assessment
Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity 2013 Retirement Savings Assessment

For those interested in statistics on how well all Americans are prepared for retirement.

Fidelity Investments

Quote:
Dark Green: Very Good or Better (95 or over). These households are on track to cover 95 percent or more of total estimated expenses, even in a down market. 33 percent of those surveyed were dark green.

Green: Good (80-95). On track to cover at least essential expenses, but not discretionary expenses like travel, entertainment, etc2. 12 percent of those surveyed were green.

Yellow: Fair (65-80). Not on track to sufficiently cover all essential retirement expenses, with modest adjustments to their planned lifestyle likely. 14 percent of those surveyed were yellow.

Red: Poor (less than 65). Not on track to sufficiently cover all essential retirement expenses, with significant adjustments to their planned lifestyle likely. 41 percent of those surveyed were red.

America’s RPM is in the Yellow, But There Are Ways to Help Get to Green
According to the RPM, many Americans are likely to fall short of meeting their retirement income goals, unless they act soon. In fact, the median score indicates working Americans are on track to meet just 74 percent of their estimated retirement expense goals and face a 26 percent income gap, placing them in the “yellow zone” and forcing them to make spending cuts in retirement that may diminish their quality of life—especially if the market experiences a severe downturn.

Here’s a closer look by generation:
Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964): The good news is that Boomers are on track to reach 81 percent of their goals, which places them in the “green zone.” While Baby Boomers entering retirement over the next five-to-10 years are in fairly good shape to completely cover at least essential expenses, this generation has less time to take actions that can help move them into “dark green” and be able to completely cover total estimated expenses. They also have fewer options than their younger counterparts to make up any shortfall.

Gen X (born 1965-1977): Gen X respondents are at 71 percent of their goal, placing them in the yellow.

Gen Y (born 1978-1988): Gen Y respondents—who are the furthest away from retirement—are currently falling significantly short and are in the red at 62 percent. This number is a concern, since the survey indicated many anticipate retiring early, despite the fact they probably won’t have the benefit of a pension, as their parents did. The good news for this generation: time is on their side, which means they can improve their situation by increasing their savings rate and investing for growth.

Part of the problem is that many Americans save too little—in fact, the survey indicates 40 percent of survey respondents are saving less than 6 percent of their salaries today, which is far less than the recommended 10-15 percent suggested by Fidelity. Among Gen Y, that percentage jumps to 51 percent, versus 43 percent for Gen X and 34 percent for Boomers.

“This savings shortfall is one of the biggest reasons the median RPM is in the yellow, although there are several others, too,” said John Sweeney, executive vice president of Retirement and Investment Strategies at Fidelity. “When you factor in the expectations many have of an early retirement, along with increasing longevity and sometimes overly conservative asset mixes for investments, you can see why many people are not as prepared as they need to be to cover their expected expenses in retirement.”

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds about right. I guess we will be seeing quite a few elderly waiters and waitress's on our vacations around the US.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #3

Are these results a surprise to anyone ?

By the way, I notice that there are a majority of troubled yellow and red voters that could vote themselves a piece of your nest-egg.

So what's the problem ? Everyone is covered one way or another.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
By the way, I notice that there are a majority of troubled yellow and red voters that could vote themselves a piece of your nest-egg.
You mean a politician might, in the name of fairness, take money from one to give to another just to get elected. Tell me it isn't so.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
You mean a politician might, in the name of fairness, take money from one to give to another just to get elected. Tell me it isn't so.
It's so. . . .