Join Early Retirement Today

FidelityŽ Equity Separately Managed Accounts
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FidelityŽ Equity Separately Managed Accounts

Wonder if anybody is using this service from Fidelity?

I met with one of their consultants and he suggested that I look into this.

MP

Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Wonder if anybody is using this service from Fidelity?

I met with one of their consultants and he suggested that I look into this.

MP
I was also told about SMA.I was told they are for people with money ..takes 200k to get in to them He could not give me any History on SMA returns. I passed. Might be a good deal but i like to know what i am getting into. If you search SMA on here others have also talked about them.

Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I had to look this up:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...te-account.asp

Besides the fact they charge 1->3% of assets as a fee, I don't see any advantage that is not present by self-managing your own brokerage account.

I have many self managed accounts, all managed by me

They do have professional teams that supposedly will only buy you good stuff, but the reality is from reading about Wall street, when they have ownership of a dog they will sell it to the first sucker they can. That and load commissions and fees influence their decisions.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why?

Fidelity has great low cost index fund offerings. You can do something as simple as 50/50 Fidelity Total Market Index and Fidelity US Bond Index and do just fine. You can diversify a bit more, but little more complexity is needed.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I had to look this up:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...te-account.asp

Besides the fact they charge 1->3% of assets as a fee, I don't see any advantage that is not present by self-managing your own brokerage account.

I have many self managed accounts, all managed by me

They do have professional teams that supposedly will only buy you good stuff, but the reality is from reading about Wall street, when they have ownership of a dog they will sell it to the first sucker they can. That and load commissions and fees influence their decisions.

+1. They've tried to sell me on this, which is why I've stopped using Fidelity "advisors". They couldn't convince me of why it was better, they just repeated their sales pitch.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Why?

Fidelity has great low cost index fund offerings. You can do something as simple as 50/50 Fidelity Total Market Index and Fidelity US Bond Index and do just fine. You can diversify a bit more, but little more complexity is needed.
+1.

I was late to the FIRE game, but a quote I learned long the way was invaluable.....

The first job of any FA is to make some of your money, their money.

Aber, full disclosure. Our portfolio is way more complicated than what Audrey calls out. We have the added complexity of a CD ladder for our 2 year horizon.