Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
FidelityŽ Equity Separately Managed Accounts
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 456
FidelityŽ Equity Separately Managed Accounts

Wonder if anybody is using this service from Fidelity?

I met with one of their consultants and he suggested that I look into this.

MP
__________________

Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Wonder if anybody is using this service from Fidelity?

I met with one of their consultants and he suggested that I look into this.

MP
I was also told about SMA.I was told they are for people with money ..takes 200k to get in to them He could not give me any History on SMA returns. I passed. Might be a good deal but i like to know what i am getting into. If you search SMA on here others have also talked about them.
__________________

Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 7,602
I had to look this up:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...te-account.asp

Besides the fact they charge 1->3% of assets as a fee, I don't see any advantage that is not present by self-managing your own brokerage account.

I have many self managed accounts, all managed by me

They do have professional teams that supposedly will only buy you good stuff, but the reality is from reading about Wall street, when they have ownership of a dog they will sell it to the first sucker they can. That and load commissions and fees influence their decisions.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 23,185
Why?

Fidelity has great low cost index fund offerings. You can do something as simple as 50/50 Fidelity Total Market Index and Fidelity US Bond Index and do just fine. You can diversify a bit more, but little more complexity is needed.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
The Cosmic Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I had to look this up:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...te-account.asp

Besides the fact they charge 1->3% of assets as a fee, I don't see any advantage that is not present by self-managing your own brokerage account.

I have many self managed accounts, all managed by me

They do have professional teams that supposedly will only buy you good stuff, but the reality is from reading about Wall street, when they have ownership of a dog they will sell it to the first sucker they can. That and load commissions and fees influence their decisions.

+1. They've tried to sell me on this, which is why I've stopped using Fidelity "advisors". They couldn't convince me of why it was better, they just repeated their sales pitch.
__________________
-Looking to FIRE in the mid-2020s, which would be our mid-50s.
The Cosmic Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Red Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Piedmont Region
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Why?

Fidelity has great low cost index fund offerings. You can do something as simple as 50/50 Fidelity Total Market Index and Fidelity US Bond Index and do just fine. You can diversify a bit more, but little more complexity is needed.
+1.

I was late to the FIRE game, but a quote I learned long the way was invaluable.....

The first job of any FA is to make some of your money, their money.

Aber, full disclosure. Our portfolio is way more complicated than what Audrey calls out. We have the added complexity of a CD ladder for our 2 year horizon.
__________________

__________________
Never let yesterday use up too much of today.
W. Rogers
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FIDO Separately Managed Accounts GravitySucks FIRE and Money 6 11-05-2019 03:29 PM
Using Form 8958 with married filing separately in community property states Ready FIRE and Money 8 03-01-2019 09:59 AM
Fidelity managed accounts explanade FIRE and Money 46 01-09-2018 12:28 PM
2015 Tax filing - married/jointly vs. married/separately Newventurer FIRE and Money 4 04-11-2015 10:33 AM
Married Filing Separately Status cube_rat Young Dreamers 11 11-18-2005 08:11 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×