Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity offering four new index funds and a muni fund with .07 ER
Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity offering four new index funds and a muni fund with .07 ER

I'm especially happy about the muni fund.

Quote:
Fidelity, which has $2.8 trillion under management, on Tuesday announced the addition of four index funds with expense ratios of 0.05% that invest in either mid-cap or small-cap growth or value stocks, as well as a municipal bond vehicle charging 0.07%.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fidel...120000274.html
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

Oops, Mods, could you please change the title to four new index funds instead of four new muni fund? TIA.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are the funds: Fidelity Mid Cap Growth Index Fund, Fidelity Mid Cap Value Index Fund, Fidelity Small Cap Growth Index Fund, Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund, Fidelity Municipal Bond Index Fund

And the press release: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/...eup-071619.pdf

It is unfortunate, IMO, that the fund industry has successfully confused its customers into buying any fund with the word "index" in its name when what is universally recommended from the research and statistics is the "market portfolio," which is buying virtually everything.

To me, betting on "growth" vs "value" or "small cap" vs "large cap" is only a small step away from the discredited business of funds trying to pick individual stocks. I was hoping to see Fido come out with a total world market fund to compete with VTWSX/VT but I guess it is not to be.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Here are the funds: Fidelity Mid Cap Growth Index Fund, Fidelity Mid Cap Value Index Fund, Fidelity Small Cap Growth Index Fund, Fidelity Small Cap Value Index Fund, Fidelity Municipal Bond Index Fund

And the press release: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/...eup-071619.pdf

It is unfortunate, IMO, that the fund industry has successfully confused its customers into buying any fund with the word "index" in its name when what is universally recommended from the research and statistics is the "market portfolio," which is buying virtually everything.

To me, betting on "growth" vs "value" or "small cap" vs "large cap" is only a small step away from the discredited business of funds trying to pick individual stocks. I was hoping to see Fido come out with a total world market fund to compete with VTWSX/VT but I guess it is not to be.
I’m sure Fidelity is just trying to catch up with Vanguard’s extensive collection of index funds. Growth and value indexes for various market capitalizations have been around for quite a while.

They may still come out with a world market index fund.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have to disagree. There are many indexes out there and an "index mutual fund" is any mutual fund which tracks a particular index in a way which minimizes expenses to the greatest extent possible. It's not a matter of attempting to confuse, but rather to provide an alternative to a broader range of traditional mutual funds which have high expenses.

Each of these Fidelity funds tracks a specific index, and so they are index funds.

An investor who is looking for municipal bond exposure (as here) for his/her fixed income allocation can simply peruse a set of municipal bond index funds and pretty much know what the objective is and that it will be low cost.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I have to disagree. There are many indexes out there and an "index mutual fund" is any mutual fund which tracks a particular index in a way which minimizes expenses to the greatest extent possible. It's not a matter of attempting to confuse, but rather to provide an alternative to a broader range of traditional mutual funds which have high expenses. ...
Well, they are what they are and some of the more arcane funds with "index" in their names are not low cost at all. Stock-picker funds did have very high expenses, but the recent price wars have fixed a lot of that. IIRC the average stock picker is now charging something like 50bps. A Good Thing.

Buying one of the Fido offerings or similar, though, is not the equivalent of passive investing. These Fido funds are narrow slices of the market, hence really betting tools rather than investing tools, which are the total market funds. As sectors (call them categories if you like) wax and wane, so will people's money in the funds. Total market funds diversify away both sector risk and individual stock risk away, leaving only market risk.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

I still think you are taking a very narrow definition of "index" in meaning some total market index like S&P, Russell, etc. However, these are not particularly diversified because they are 100% stock funds...where a balanced "index" fund would be more indicative of the overall market, have bond (debt) allocation to it, and would have less volatility with more diversification.

In any case, I really don't think that Fidelity is looking to confuse anyone, simply provide funds with very low cost just as the competition has done.

Again, they each track an index, so are rightfully "index" funds.

FMDGX tracks Russell Midcap Growth Index
FIMVX tracks Russell Midcap Value Index
FECGX tracks Russell 2000 Growth Index
FISVX tracks Russell 2000 Value Index
FMBIX tracks Bloomberg Barclays Municipal Bond Index
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

Except for the muni bond fund, these are for the folks that like to "tilt" or "factor" their passive index portfolio. It's all the rage over on Bogleheads. I think they spend way more time on bogleheads.org talking about how to NOT be a boglehead than the 3 fund portfolio. The three fund portfolio is boring. These factor funds allow them to feed their active investing fever and then talk endlessly about why it's superior. Frankly, I am happy that most people can't leave well enough alone. It feeds the churn and allows price discovery and growth. If we all indexed, the market would stop. Yeah greed!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Except for the muni bond fund, these are for the folks that like to "tilt" or "factor" their passive index portfolio. It's all the rage over on Bogleheads. I think they spend way more time on bogleheads.org talking about how to NOT be a boglehead than the 3 fund portfolio. The three fund portfolio is boring. These factor funds allow them to feed their active investing fever and then talk endlessly about why it's superior. Frankly, I am happy that most people can't leave well enough alone. It feeds the churn and allows price discovery and growth. If we all indexed, the market would stop. Yeah greed!
+1.

2 funds (1 total market, 1 TIPS bond fund). A bunch of lumpy CD's. I am content to lag slightly behind/below the market.

I am in the camp where narrow(er) index funds that are trying to squeeze extra juice from the orange are just cleverly disguised as not stock licking. Sector picking is just stock picking with a shotgun.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If we all indexed, the market would stop. Yeah greed!
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" -- Gordon Gekko.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m sure Fidelity is just trying to catch up with Vanguard’s extensive collection of index funds. Growth and value indexes for various market capitalizations have been around for quite a while.

Quote:

In any case, I really don't think that Fidelity is looking to confuse anyone, simply provide funds with very low cost just as the competition has done.
Holding both Fido and Vanguard, it’s encouraging to see Fidelity going in this direction. But to come anywhere close to catching up with Vanguard they need to offer some very low cost balanced index funds as well. Yes, I know they have their Freedom (target date) index funds but they still have a ways to go.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
I have to disagree. There are many indexes out there and an "index mutual fund" is any mutual fund which tracks a particular index in a way which minimizes expenses to the greatest extent possible. It's not a matter of attempting to confuse, but rather to provide an alternative to a broader range of traditional mutual funds which have high expenses.

Each of these Fidelity funds tracks a specific index, and so they are index funds.

An investor who is looking for municipal bond exposure (as here) for his/her fixed income allocation can simply peruse a set of municipal bond index funds and pretty much know what the objective is and that it will be low cost.
Totally agree - being an index stock fund doesn't automatically mean it's a total-market-index fund. There are many indices out there and total market is just one of them.

Not to repeat the endless wars over on bogleheads, but these stock funds track indexes which are there to capture factors besides Beta, not sectors which are a totally different thing. Because the indexes have fixed construction rules, these funds/indexes are passive, not actively managed.

If one wants simplicity, then by all means, a total stock market (or even SP500) + broad market international + bond fund in some proportion (including zero) is just fine - nothing at all wrong with it. However, there is also nothing wrong with adding additional sources of stock diversification one's portfolio, especially if the additional diversification is available at low cost as long as one is able to stick with it even through periods of underperformance.

As they say, there are many roads to Dublin.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I am in the camp where narrow(er) index funds that are trying to squeeze extra juice from the orange are just cleverly disguised as not stock licking.
I hadn't heard of stock licking. A new investments strategy?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Yep, that's exactly what they're doing. First, they made an agreement with Blockrock to provide iShares ETF's with no commissions. That opened up a pretty large group of additional funds/indices in which to invest. Not always the lowest cost from an e/r perspective, however. Then they created their broad market ZERO funds. But they've always had a hole in their own factor offerings which they've now mostly closed and they've done so at low cost. Seems like between the 3 options just described, they have nearly all of the major bases covered, finally, with only a few exceptions.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I hadn't heard of stock licking. A new investments strategy?

It only applies to those with a taste for equities...
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Index Funds are for people who are content with lower earnings by buying the losers as well as the winners.

Targeted Index Funds can be better. Or worse.

Target Date Funds are only good as a place to park your employer's 401(k) contributions until an opportunity is identified.

But an Actively Managed find is the best choice if an investor truly wants to maximize returns.

For the 12 month period ending 6/30/2019:
S&P 500 yielded 10.2%
DJIA yielded 12.0%
Top Actively Managed Funds yielded 18.5%
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Index Funds are for people who are content with lower earnings by buying the losers as well as the winners.

Targeted Index Funds can be better. Or worse.

Target Date Funds are only good as a place to park your employer's 401(k) contributions until an opportunity is identified.

But an Actively Managed find is the best choice if an investor truly wants to maximize returns.

S&P 500 yielded 10.2%
DJIA yielded 12.0%
I can find a fund or ETF that invests in S&P500, for example. But where do I find a Top Actively Managed Fund? And where would find the source of the last statement in your post?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I can find a fund or ETF that invests in S&P500, for example. But where do I find a Top Actively Managed Fund? And where would find the source of the last statement in your post?
Good luck finding the top fund each and every year before it outperforms. Or even finding one that's consistently a top fund year after year. They're still managed by people: people who sometimes make bad choices, go through divorces, get cancer, have car accidents or retire.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
... But an Actively Managed find is the best choice if an investor truly wants to maximize returns.

S&P 500 yielded 10.2%
DJIA yielded 12.0%
Well, you are correct to the extent that there are always actively-managed funds that outperform passive funds. The semiannual S&P SPIVA reports typically show that over a year roughly 1/3 of actively managed funds outperform their benchmarks. Over five and ten years the percentage drops into the single digits. So as passive investors we are beating over 90% of the stock-pickers.

To say that the answer is to buy an actively managed fund is incorrect. What you want to buy is an actively managed fund that will outperform in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Well, again, top actively managed funds are easy to find by looking in the rear view mirror. Most web sites and financial publications will publish a list shortly after the end of every quarter. "Best Funds of 2018" for example.

The situation is this: The fund results are pretty much random. If over a year each manager flipped a coin, about half of them would be right. Subtract fees and (usually large) trading costs and you can understand why only 1/3 or so outperform. The randomness is also the reason that the percentage of winners declines with time. To win over time, a stock picker has to be repeatedly lucky. Few are. But some are.

So the problem becomes: How to pick a winner ahead of time? Nobel winner Eugene Fama and his regular co-author Kenneth French spent a lot of time and money trying to solve this problem. Here is French discussing the results: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/v...-managers.aspx (Spoiler: They failed.) The paper that French is referring to was published IIRC a little over ten years ago and is 43 pages. For an amateur like me it becomes unreadable shortly after the abstract, but the conclusions are crystal clear. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Ever heard that one before?

So no, @MI-Roger, randomly picking an actively managed fund is statistically very likely to produce a loser. And, as Dr. French explains, that is what any investor is doomed to be doing.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

As Fidelity adds passive index funds, as mentioned in the OP, Vanguard adds an actively-managed fund.
https://investornews.vanguard/vangua...e-equity-fund/
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote