Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 I would highly recommend meeting your Fidelity rep annually, it's free. We have met several over the years and one of the best things I got out of it is how to use their online Monte Carlo calculator to it's highest advantage. Your rep has much more experience and the projection calculator they use in their office is more detailed and sophisticated than the one online.

When you meet with the rep they can lay out various scenarios but what was even more helpful is they give you a retirement expenses workbook to fill out, then when you return in a couple of weeks they plug in those numbers. So we found there's really two meetings needed, the first to lay everything out and the second one to plug in various retirement budgets.

Our rep did not try to sell us anything, we are conservative and for the most part I self direct our portfolio, but I really appreciated having him run various projections based on different scenarios of which year to retire, pension, SS, 4% Rule, etc. So my advice is to do it, at least for the calculations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have found Fidelity gives much better and personal service to its customers when you have enough holdings to get you into the premium service or private client classification.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you get to Fidelity Private Client level, if you get offered some of the perks, they are pretty darn good. We get 2-4 offers/year, pro sporting events - the kind we'd never pay out for and wondered who'd ever pay for these kind of seats. These are the skybox seats w/all you can eat food, drinks, parking and memorabilia to take home. We've also been invited to expensive theater, orchestra and food/wine events at local restaurants. DW got to experience a private day of golf w/LPGA pro and a basic lesson. I can tell you DS has memories for a lifetime since we normally get tickets to sporting events in the nosebleed section. To top it off, there's never been any pressure to invest/buy any services either.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #24

Dimsumid:
I need to move to where you live and get hook up with the Fidelity office that service you. Mine offers good and responsive actions, but none of the perks you are talking about. There were actual investment events you can go to in the heyday in the mid 2000's, where there were food, beer and wine, now they are just webcast.
BTW, you are into dim sum?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I need to move to where you live and get hook up with the Fidelity office that service you. Mine offers good and responsive actions, but none of the perks you are talking about.
I have to say it depends on the branch. My original branch offered only the LPGA pro outing in 10 yrs as a Private Client, then I moved and switched branches. This new branch has been great offering social outings to us. The new rep I got asked if events had been offered to us in the past and he confirmed my old branch never did many event offerings to clients. Maybe the money used for these outings came out of a shared pool? If they don't use it, they get to keep it?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #26

Quote:

BTW, you are into dim sum?
Sorry, missed this part of your post. Yes, when it's good, that's how I ended up using this as a name. Whenever we go on vacation, we always make it a point to try the dim sum in that location. Sad to say, the local dim sum here pales in comparison to NY, LA, SF, Toronto, etc.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Sad to say, the local dim sum here pales in comparison to NY, LA, SF, Toronto, etc.
Vancouver has great dim sum and great Chinese restaurants in general.

I was also taken to a joint that specialized in dim sum by friends when I was in HK last year. The decor and furniture were spartan, the price was cheap, and the people who went there were ordinary HK folks ( not the in crowd). There was a huge line waiting and you have to share tables. However the place has a Michelin 2 or 3 stars rating, and the dim sums were all freshly made and unbelievably great. The memory !!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #28

Quote:
I have found Fidelity gives much better and personal service to its customers when you have enough holdings to get you into the premium service or private client classification.
Just by asking about it, my Private Client Rep told me they would reimburse me for any version of Turbo Tax I needed. Picked up a copy of the Premier versioin at Costco and send receipt. She was surprised I had not asked for it before. Standard discount on TT is 25% throught the Fido site.
Nwsteve

PS Vanguard will let you download a discounted version but I think there is still a charge for Premier ($19.99 ?) if you are Flagship, more if you are at lower levels.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Just by asking about it, my Private Client Rep told me they would reimburse me for any version of Turbo Tax I needed. Picked up a copy of the Premier versioin at Costco and send receipt. She was surprised I had not asked for it before. Standard discount on TT is 25% throught the Fido site.
Nwsteve

PS Vanguard will let you download a discounted version but I think there is still a charge for Premier ($19.99 ?) if you are Flagship, more if you are at lower levels.
I'm definitely going to have to ask about the tax software at Fidelity. I know I've asked before, but all they've ever offered has been the 25% discount. I opened up a State Farm bank acct w/$100 to get online TurboTax Deluxe w/State last yr for free (I think it's $20 for the cd). As long as you're a State Farm account member, you qualify for free TurboTax as a benefit.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #30

I also have a Fidelity Rep. that I can contact anytime. He occasionally calls me to check in and see how I am doing. He has always answered my questions and helps me any way that he can. He has suggested funds that I decided to buy into and am very satisfied with them. When I told him I wanted to purchase pssssst Wellesley, he surprised me by saying that he would get the on-line fee waived for me. That saved me $75 right there. There is no pressure and he understands that I do my own thing and just could use a little advice now and then. I have never been offered tickets, meals, outings or anything beyond the fee waiver that I mentioned. That is very surprising to hear about all of the perks some receive.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
That is very surprising to hear about all of the perks some receive.
Yeah, I plan to ask my private client rep about all these perks. I've never been offered a darn thing. Of course I don't live in an area with a branch, but they could at least send me a coupon for a Big Mac or something.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with most who are Fido Premium members. No hard selling, just a one-on-one relationship with an advisor if you want it. If you're already reading this forum, you are smart enough to sniff out a sales pitch if one comes your way.

They're offering you a direct line to a dedicated advisor, a 'belly button' you can push if you need help.

Mine has been very helpful when I've asked to move money around or perform some year-end tax management.

You also get weekly emails with market insights from their fund managers, economists, etc. These can sometimes be informative and interesting.

Nothing to lose in taking them up on the offer... I'd recommend it.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband worked for them, on the technology side though. During the huge market correction they lost a lot of customers to Schwab who had created relationships with people with lower amount of assets. So they made a huge push to do this (my husband managed the system for the reps that did this).

I agree that they are just touching base - but if you have a large amount of assets they do seem to try to sell annuities. Even to us! We have never met with them because my hub is easily talked into things and I won't risk it. LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Sorry, missed this part of your post. Yes, when it's good, that's how I ended up using this as a name. Whenever we go on vacation, we always make it a point to try the dim sum in that location. Sad to say, the local dim sum here pales in comparison to NY, LA, SF, Toronto, etc.
OFF TOPIC: IIRC you are on the North Shore area of Chicago-land. By 'local', are you including China-town? I'm assuming you can get good dimsum there, but I don't really know. Would appreciate any reccs.

-ERD50
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OFF TOPIC: IIRC you are on the North Shore area of Chicago-land. By 'local', are you including China-town? I'm assuming you can get good dimsum there, but I don't really know. Would appreciate any reccs.

-ERD50
As I had mentioned in my earlier post, the pickings in Chicago aren't great compared to other cities. Many places that we used to go (Mountain View and Shui Wah) have closed. It seems only the bigger touristy places are still open, Phoenix (grand opening food was great, they borrowed chefs from Toronto for 3-4 months), Three Happiness and Furama (decent food, slow service closer to US Cellular field and north side Chinatown). My in laws still live in Chinatown, they like to pick cheap/low priced places. The pickings are so slim here, that we stopped going out locally for any dim sum. Sad for us.

I got spoiled by working in LA for two years and eating dim sum 1-2 times/week. As a comparison, LA uses whole big shrimp w/no fillers in the ha gow for ($1-2 small plate), Chicago seems to use all chopped shrimp or tiny shrimp w/fillers thrown in ($2-3 small plate).

For soups like won ton mein (noodles & dumplings) or congee (rice porridge we ask for the 1000 yr old egg added in, it's an aged duck egg), we really like Seven Treasures. For lunch/dinner, we go to Lee Wing Wah a lot, Triple Crown is good too.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
I agree that they are just touching base - but if you have a large amount of assets they do seem to try to sell annuities. Even to us! We have never met with them because my hub is easily talked into things and I won't risk it. LOL
I think my file with them has an entry in big bold font: "Don't let this guy get started on annuities, it's not worth your time!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yeah, I plan to ask my private client rep about all these perks. I've never been offered a darn thing. Of course I don't live in an area with a branch, but they could at least send me a coupon for a Big Mac or something.
Yeah Dawg, I don't live in an area with a branch either. The closest branch to both of us is in Houston I believe. That is where my Rep. is.
I did receive an impressive looking Christmas card from a Fido Vice Pres. and my Rep. also had a slide-in portion in there too.
I was impressed!
Hey if you get a Big Mac or something, tell them not to forget about me.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

i made my first appointment with fidelity in 25 years for friday. ill report back.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I got better help from my FIDO rep during my divorce than I did from my attorney. He was also a very nice guy that I got to know fairly well, and he had a knack for hiring good looking young women as his assistants.

Perks? Couple of deluxe box NFL games, and a couple baseball games. Very nice. Late season football games in Seattle can be a real trial weather wise, and that enclosed box with wine and snacks and no drunk is nice. Plenty of drunks elsewhere in the stands. I marvel at how someone would spend $hundreds, then get too drunk to really notice the game, or spend half his time going to the bathroom. Most of our local drunks however do not seem argumentative. Just hi-5s all around.

I have never paid for a Seahawks game, but I have been lucky at getting tickets from time to time.

Ha
Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
gone traveling

I/DW had sessions at the local (50 miles away) office, in preperation for retirement.

Once I retired, I attended two information/training seminars that they offered (I don't beleive they still do this, but I could be wrong).

During our time there, we were always offered a light lunch (pizza, sandwiches, soda) before/during our meetings.

Not a night at the Met, but good enough for us ...

Of course, we are Private Access clients (rather than Preimum). Maybe that makes a difference.

https://www.fidelity.com/private-cli...vices/overview

I get calls every so often, but they know that I'm a "do it yourself" invidual, and they don't try to "push" anything. They just want to know that they are there if I (or DW) need anything...