Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
What specific better benefits and pricing? I thought trades are $7.95 for all. I only know wire fee is waived. What else besides the TurboTax deluxe which you must ask. Why don't they just send automatically?
The wire transfer service that you mentioned, I use this a lot and it spoils you. You have access to Active Trader Pro software (I don't use this, never tried) w/o needing to meet trade minimums. Turbotax is on request only because it's an item that have to decide to offer annually that's for Active Traders only, but they extended for Private Client members. They also offer estate planning, charitable planning, Life Ins consultations and the big variable is exclusive invitations to restricted seminars, conf. calls w/portfolio mgrs, mkt. strategists, fncl experts and other events. For me, other events have been premium sporting events, theater/orchestra tix, LPGA day for DW, cheese/wine tasting.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
For me, other events have been premium sporting events, theater/orchestra tix, LPGA day for DW, cheese/wine tasting.
I'm guessing all this extra stuff is related to your individual PCG team leader's preferences. They probably get a budget they can use as they like.

My guy is into shotgun sports, so he regularly invites his like-minded clients to a very nice sporting clays range where he has a corporate membership. Other things as well, but I imagine that's an exceptional benefit, since facilities like that are scarce.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

what blew me away is the comprehensive retirement work up they ran for us when we finally made it in to the office and they sales pitched nothing.

i have been with fidelity for 30 years and a private access client for at least 1/2 as many and never had anything done by them.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what blew me away is the comprehensive retirement work up they ran for us when we finally made it in to the office and they sales pitched nothing.
Is this the same as the Fidelity Retirement Income Planner which you can also do it on your own or is it something different?
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

They taught me how to use RIP, they produced my first plan. I've altered it over time to meet life's changes. My rep reviews it with me every year. He's is very helpful, never tried to sell me anything, but does give advice about AA, things I've done with trades, new products, always a mentor.

The guy helped me to see how I could RE. I was ready to roll the other part of my 401k over to Fidelity. He suggested reviewing the SPD, for the age 55 clause. Yes, it's there. It became plan B. of my 56-59.5 stratagy. Fidelity will see that money in another 2.5 years.

But I'm going to have to talk with him on the sporting clays deal.

FYI, my sister is a Vanguard flagship client. She's been very happy with their services as well.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They taught me how to use RIP
That's a good point. Fidelity's RIP is much more sophisticated than it appears at first glance. My rep also showed me how to get the most out of it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Is this the same as the Fidelity Retirement Income Planner which you can also do it on your own or is it something different?
it is much more inclusive than the on line one with more scenerio ability
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's a good point. Fidelity's RIP is much more sophisticated than it appears at first glance. My rep also showed me how to get the most out of it.
There are two different levels of entering one's expenses in the Fido RIP program. One is a broader, less detailed method while the other is more detailed. The first time I met with an Account Executive, we used the simpler form. This was good enough when I was first forming my ER plan in 2007-08. But later on, after I had ERed and had gotten switched to other AEs, I was shown how to use the more detailed method and now feel more comfortable with it although I had one AE help me out with it the first time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Good point Scrabbler1, when I changed to the detailed method, the final numbers are much different. My rep taught me that. I believe its related to healthcare cost forcasts.

If you change their default inflation rate, the output changes as well. Went opposite of what I thought.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We just made a decision on this after dragging feet for 2 years. We are moving to Vanguard. My husband worked for Fidelity (on the tech side) and after evaluating what would be best for us, we chose Vanguard.

Even when he was an employee we received a hideous proposal from them suggesting about 35 diff funds, some of which were absolutely terrible funds. They also kept trying to sell my husband annuities. They are on commission, they need to sell.

We need simplicity, and honestly, my husband gets talked into things easily, so we are moving. I know our phone is going to burn up when they get the notice from Vanguard.

Also a huge personal pet peeve of mine is that the Fidelity rep only wanted to talk to my husband, and lied to me once on the phone. I asked if he was calling about the account, and he said no, something else. But that was not true. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And yes, I had a large rollover IRA there from one of my employers, so it's not that he was the only one with an account.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have been a VG Flagship client for 10+ years and have no complaints. I also make few demands on the CS rep time. I have spoken to my FS rep twice in the past year. Prior to that once.

I am a very low maintenance VG DIYer who wants to DIY as long as I am able to.

I had a Fido brokerage account years ago and don't recall anything about it other than I lost money on the investments (not Fido's fault).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
There are two different levels of entering one's expenses in the Fido RIP program. One is a broader, less detailed method while the other is more detailed. The first time I met with an Account Executive, we used the simpler form. This was good enough when I was first forming my ER plan in 2007-08. But later on, after I had ERed and had gotten switched to other AEs, I was shown how to use the more detailed method and now feel more comfortable with it although I had one AE help me out with it the first time.
We use the detailed expenses worksheet function also, which has an expanse category structure, allows entry of expenses for varying periods including one time expenses, supports distinction btwn essential and discretionary expenses, etc. RIP also allows multiple scenario analysis; varying expenses, distinction btwn and analysis of essential/discretionary expenses, varying inflation rates, varying expenses levels, LTC for one or both in a couple, taxes, RMDs, etc.

I think it's superior to FIRECalc and most other tools I've used. We've used it for years and plan to continue.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote