Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity recommendation
Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Fidelity recommendation

I've had two meetings with Fidelity. I'm in the process of rolling over my 260K 401K to them (waiting for the check). The first meeting they recommended the Fidelity Asset Manager 20% fund. Prior to my second meeting I received their managed fund proposal:

Domestic Large Growth Stock Funds: 11%
- 3.0% John Hancock US Global Leaders Growth Fund
- 3.0% Marsico Focus Fund
- 2.5% T. Rowe Price Growth Stock Fund
- 2.5% Fidelity Advisor Diversified Stock Fund

Domestic Large Blend Stock Fund: 2.0%
- 2.0% Legg Mason Value Trust

Domestic Large Value Stock Fund: 3.0%
- 3.0% Goldman Sachs Large Cap Value Fund

Domestic Small Blend Styock Fund: 2.0%
- 2.0% PAS Small Cap Fund of Funds

Other: 9.0%
- 3.0% Merger Fund
- 3.0% Fidelity Real Estate Income Fund
- 3.0% PIMCO Commodity Real Return Strategy

Foreign Stock Funds: 4.0%
- 2.0% PAS International Fund of Funds
- 2.0% PIMCO Foreign Bond Fund (Unhedged)

Bond Funds: 59%
- 15% Fidelity Investment Grade Bond
- 13% PIMCO Total Return Fund
- 8.0% Fidelity Total Bond Fund
- 7.0% Metropolitan West Low Duration Bond Fund
- 5.0% Fidelity Mortgage Securities Fund
- 4.0% Fidelity Capital & Income Fund
- 4.0% Fidelity High Income Fund
- 3.0% T. Rowe Price High Yeild Fund

Money Market/Short-Term Fund: 10%
- 10% PIMCO Short-Term Fund

The cost to manage this portfolio is .9% I have very little experience in this, and want a conservative investment strategy, since I have so little in my 401K. I am 62, and the only other asset I have is 400K equity in my home, which I will sell in four years (I can't sell sooner). I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to make investment decisions, and I don't have a lot of time to spend on it, since I am caretaker for a family member. Does the above strategy seem reasonable, and am I making a huge mistake in having Fidelity manage my account (I do plan on maybe managing it myself in later years as I learn more and have more time to devote to it).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fidelity recommendation
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbb
Does the above strategy seem reasonable, and am I making a huge mistake in having Fidelity manage my account (I do plan on maybe managing it myself in later years as I learn more and have more time to devote to it).
Run away from that managed portfolio nonsense. They want to charge you a high fee on top of putting you in a bunch of expensive funds. A large chunk of your returns will go to Wall Street.

It looks like you (or they) decided on a fairly low equity allocation. That's fine, but there's no need for the expensive and exotic funds they've selected. If I were you, I'd go to Vanguard and choose one of their balanced funds. For example, Wellesley will give you a roughly 40/60 stock/bond allocation. Vanguard will probably also offer you a free financial plan if you tell them you're going to move a large sum over to them.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

there are some excellent newsletters out there for no more than 100-125.00 bucks a year that have excellent records, model portfolios for all risk levels and guide you every week with any updates.

thats the road i have have taken with great success for almost 20 years.

if your using fidelity you cant go wrong with either fidelity insight or fidelity monitor.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Run away from that managed portfolio nonsense. They want to charge you a high fee on top of putting you in a bunch of expensive funds. A large chunk of your returns will go to Wall Street.

It looks like you (or they) decided on a fairly low equity allocation. That's fine, but there's no need for the expensive and exotic funds they've selected. If I were you, I'd go to Vanguard and choose one of their balanced funds. For example, Wellesley will give you a roughly 40/60 stock/bond allocation. Vanguard will probably also offer you a free financial plan if you tell them you're going to move a large sum over to them.
I agree. I have my money with Fidelity but I wouldn't pay a fee to have them manage my account. The fund recommended above is all you need. Or a Target fund would mirror what they recommended for a whole lot less money. Look at those with Vanguard or Fidelity has the Freedom funds if you prefer Fidelity.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #5

I'll second the previous opinions. That's an incredibly complex portfolio for someone who says
Quote:
I have so little in my 401K.
I also keep my $ in Fidelity accounts, but don't let them manage it.

You need to realize that you are paying a significant expense ratio within each of those funds on top of the almost 1% the advisors are skimming. Then if they start moving your money around every few months, who knows what sorts of other fees and taxes you'll pay

As the others said, find a nice balanced fund, or one of the target retirement funds and park your money there. When your situation changes and you feel more confident, you can always start making other investments.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Twenty-one funds? Egads...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #7

FOUR large growth funds and EIGHT bond funds? : What's up with that?

Surprised they didn't recommend more Fidelity funds--several are better IMO than what they recommended here.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that's a lot of funds for only $260k. Way too many managed funds in there IMHO. Are you sure that this is not a joke?

"Run Away, Run Away" Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #9

That's 21 funds (if I counted correctly) - crazy! wab's suggestion of the Vanguard Wellesley Fund makes much more sense. Since you have more than 100K, be sure to use their Admiral share class if you decide to go that route. ER is only 0.14%, and the fund's yield is about 4.4%.

Additionally, it's my understanding that, if the check is made out to you, 20% will be withheld for taxes. You then will have to make that up from other funds in order to avoid a tax on 20% of the distribution. Better to do a direct rollover.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #10

Why not just put 40% in the Total Stock Market index and 60% in the Total Bond Market index ...lot less work and fees.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"Domestic Small Blend Styock Fund: 2.0%"

I thought that said Shylock fund, as in Shakespears "Merchant of Venice".

Way too many funds. Thats a portfolio designed to generate income for the sales force, not for the customer.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

i run 3 seperate portfolios for three different time frames using two newsletters and alot more dough and i have about 10 stock funds and about 6 bond funds in total so 21 crazy
Old 10-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I've decided to not go with the managed fund, but am not sure what to invest in. I'm spending this week-end doing research. There was a suggestion that I use a newsletter to guide me. Which of the following would you recommend?

Fidelity Monitor
Jim Lowell's Fidelity Investor
Fidelity Insight

Any others?

My initial approach was to go with a conservative strategy (50% Bonds, 20% Stock, 30% Short-Term), but now I'm thinking of a Balanced approach (45% Stock, 40% Bonds, 10% Short-Term, 5% Foreign). I'm not sure if I should buy one Mutual Fund (Fidelity Freedom Fund?), or split my assets into two or three funds. Suggestions will be appreciated.

I will be getting $1468 from SS, and need to take a distribution of $2k/month. In four years, I'll be able to sell my house with $400K equity as of now.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which of the following would you recommend?
None of them.

They can only tell you what fund did best LAST month. None of them can give you much insight into what is best for you in the future. These newsletter are a fantastic way to make a lot of money...for the editor of the newsletter.

I suggest that you pick up a few investing books at the library (no cost). This will educate you in how to build an asset allocation that is unique to you and your needs. It is not very difficult and once you know how to do it the knowledge will be with you forever.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

fidelity insights growth model is a little more conservative than fidelity monitors....

i use fidelity insights growth model, having been following it now for almost 20 years. results have been superb.

i follow fidelity monitors growth and income and income preservation models for shorter term money, only been following this one for around 2 years since i toned the aggressiveness down .

i highly recommend them both...

the information on morningstar thats avail as far as fund holdings and allocations is very out dated most of the time.

its to hard to develop a really well balanced well diversified portfolio without knowing up to the minute whats held by funds so theres no overlap and no heavy weighting in areas you may not want. Especially if you stay within one fund family where you can buy 3 different funds and get the same holdings.

these newsletters get very current information that i dont have access too., they know these funds inside and out and over all the mixes are far better than i have been able to do on my own for many reasons..

the guidance by them calling the fine tuning and the fact that while i may have bailed and ran in the 2,000's they kept us in and even took advantage of the drops was well worth it. the worst drop i had in the 2,000 bear market was 14.5% in the growth model. 100,000 in 1987 in the fidelity insight growth mix is now 1.1 million

WORKS FOR ME!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

In your shoes I would go with a Vanguard Target Retirement fund, or else one of the Fidelity Freedom Funds, until I had studied enough to feel confident doing something else. Low cost, simple, and diversified, so it is hard to go wrong. One might even decide to leave it that way after having studied up on the alternatives.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:30 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have subscribed to both Fidelity Monitor and Insite for 10-15 years. Both are good solid news letters. I prefer the Fidelity Monitor Growth and Income, but you would not go wrong following either news letter. If you are looking for comparisons between news letters suggest you look at Hulbert Financial Digest. They have been following a lot of news letters for many years.
Lyle
Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
100,000 in 1987 in the fidelity insight growth mix is now 1.1 million
100,000 in 1987 in Dodge&Cox Balanced is 0.89 million now
100,000 in 1987 in Dodge&Cox Growth is 1.15 million now
VFINX is 0.78 million

Old 10-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

with fidelity newsletters we are not talking just a fund. we are talking the returns of an entire portfolio of diversification and asset allocations. the model consists of many funds in it ,usually 4-5 and thats the return on everything as a whole. usually with far less risk than the beta of the s&p500
Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

1966 - 2006 Forty years of stock, fund selection and reading a lot of books, newsletters, etc.

Target Retirement 2015(85% of portfolio) for my 13th year of ER.

15% individual stocks - like watching football - some things you just gotta do - it's da hormones!

heh heh heh heh

Tags
fidelity