Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 17,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, they are ending their relationship with FIA.

They started offering the Elan card in Jan of this year I think. This change only affects folks with cards issued by FIA card services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm also hoping for improvement over FIA. Apple Pay is supported. I'm waiting to see if they have the email alerts I like to get, these alerts were noticeably missing from FIA.

Hmm - I think I can find that out now since I was able to access my online account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When I logged into Fidelity this morning I also saw that my new Visa card is already on the account, showing the last four. I was even able to go in and set things up, like autopay, email alerts, etc.

The credit limit is exactly the same as the Amex card. I also got a letter in the mail today reminding me that any automatic payments made from the old Amex card would only be honored until July 21.
I saw braumeister's post and logged into my Fidelity AMEX account, and I also saw the Fidelity Visa account is set up for me (I have not got my cards yet).

As audreyh1 was hoping, email alerts are now part of the set up option. Yes!!! I have this on my Amazon Visa (only 1% on most stuff though), and I really like the feedback - I have it set to email me on every single charge.

I was not happy with FIA, their fraud detection process was lousy* and I complained bitterly to them. So hopefully, this new group is better all around, looks like a good start (though it would not take a limit of > than $0.00, had to make it > $0.01 - weird).

* to clarify, FIA apparently detected some fraud, so that's good, but they handled it so very poorly. One time, they shut my card down two days before they alerted me. Then, their phone call included a number to call that didn't appear on the card or their web site (phishing attack?). When I tried to check, I could only get to an auto system that wanted me to verify the last 3 charges. Well, I couldn't do that w/o checking against my statement, as one sounded like a duplicate charge (it wasn't it was just delayed about 3 weeks). But I was also shut out of my account, so I couldn't check. That left me in a catch-22 with their system. Long hold time once I finally got past their robots.

Then they claimed their system was better than email alerts. Sorry, no. I would have caught it before them (and one of their triggers was a legitimate purchase I made).

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I was not happy with FIA, their fraud detection process was lousy* and I complained bitterly to them. So hopefully, this new group is better all around, looks like a good start (though it would not take a limit of > than $0.00, had to make it > $0.01 - weird).

* to clarify, FIA apparently detected some fraud, so that's good, but they handled it so very poorly. One time, they shut my card down two days before they alerted me. Then, their phone call included a number to call that didn't appear on the card or their web site (phishing attack?). When I tried to check, I could only get to an auto system that wanted me to verify the last 3 charges. Well, I couldn't do that w/o checking against my statement, as one sounded like a duplicate charge (it wasn't it was just delayed about 3 weeks). But I was also shut out of my account, so I couldn't check. That left me in a catch-22 with their system. Long hold time once I finally got past their robots.

Then they claimed their system was better than email alerts. Sorry, no. I would have caught it before them (and one of their triggers was a legitimate purchase I made).

-ERD50
Yes, I had a poor experience with fraud detection too, that left me very disappointed.

We were driving cross country over Xmas holidays and had a rejection at Costco which was odd because I'd called in a travel alert. No rejection earlier in the day, but the Costco checkout was >$100 which might have made the difference. But I get no phone call from FIA after the rejection which is odd.

So after we check in to the hotel, I log into my account and see there are a couple of ~$800 charges pending from Victoria's Secret in New York, I think. The charges were from the prior day. Hmm - could that be why? Well I've got to let them know those weren't my charges and to have them removed and the card reissued.

I called the number on the card. That person was convinced they couldn't do anything about the charges while they were still pending. Say what? I knew better. At least that person gave me the number for the FIA fraud department.

And at least the person at the fraud line knew what they were doing, and dealt with the charges right away. No funny business. But no explanation about why I had the rejection at Costco, and why I was never contacted to verify charges afterwards. They could see that that transaction had been rejected, but saw no reason for it.

But what annoyed me the most, was I could have been alerted to the details on these charges immediately, if I'd been able to set up a "card not present" transaction alert and "credit card transaction exceeded $XXX" alert like I have set up on EVERY OTHER CARD! And I would have known before attempting to use my card at Costco. The lack of these alerts was always so frustrating to me. If anything "interesting" happens on any of my other cards I get an email the second the charge occurs. BofA and Chase and Amex are particularly good about this.

I was lucky, I happened to log in to see what was going on after the mysterious rejection. The charges posted, but were credited immediately, and they mailed new cards to our destination. About a month later I get a letter saying that the charges were still under investigation, so I was technically still on the hook. Finally, a month after that, I got a letter saying the matter was closed and the credits would stand. I'd never had this drawn out process to close the matter before either.

BTW I'd had another case where the card had been compromised in one of those large multi card compromises. In those cases they don't notify you, but reissue and send you new cards and your old card will continue working for two weeks. And you don't find out unless you happen to make a large purchase and get a rejection, in which case you have to call in and hop through a bunch of security questions to get the charge to go through. Or you log in and notice your card number has changed. But in this case FIA didn't handle it any differently than the other issuers, so I never blamed them for that, even when it had us a bit panicked when we were trying to transact a trade-in and upgrade on two pairs of expensive binoculars within a limited time. At least we got it through after many minutes on the phone.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I'm assuming there are others here that have both the Fidelity Amex with 2% Rewards and the Visa with 1.5% Rewards. I logged into my Fidelity account and it looks like I'm getting 2 new replacement Visa cards. One with 2% Rewards that replaces the old Amex and second Visa with 1.5% Rewards for the old Fidelity Visa. This second Visa accrues at 1.5% up to the first $15,000 and then 2% thereafter. The two Rewards accounts are separate so that means I need to use the 1.5% Visa until I get to the 5000pt threshold for cashing out before I switch over exclusively to using the 2% Rewards Visa card. I wish they had combined the two accounts into just one 2% Fidelity Rewards Visa. It would have made the transition so much easier.
I also have the Fidelity 2% AMEX and 1.5% VISA. Only reason I have the VISA is for merchants who don't accept AMEX. So now, they're sending two VISAs. I called Fidelity a couple weeks ago and explained that I have no need for two VISA cards. The rep said to call Elan after the cards are issued and they should be able to consolidate credit limits and rewards balances onto the 2% card, and cancel the 1.5% card. Key word is "should." I got the distinct impression he wasn't really sure. But I'll give it whirl after the cards arrive.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, I had a poor experience with fraud detection too, that left me very disappointed.

+1
After Home Depot gave my card number away I dealt with their incompetent fraud department.

I informed them of several fraudulent charges after receiving my new card. They caught one but failed to catch two other identical charges.

I'm OK with having to dispute the first charges, several months later I'm not. According to several fraud team members that old card number would always be associated with me! No amount of canceling would ever remove the relationship. I'm glad I'm leaving, no more relationship. I never got an answer as to why, sure sounds like a data model issue to me.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
.

I was not happy with FIA, their fraud detection process was lousy* and I complained bitterly to them. So hopefully, this new group is better all around, looks like a good start (though it would not take a limit of > than $0.00, had to make it > $0.01 - weird).
I have to agree.

I attempted to purchase tickets from a large foreign airline several times only to have the charges rejected. So, using my little brain, I called them ahead of time and said "Look, in a few minutes I am going to buy tickets to Pottsylvania on RustyCrate Airways, can you please arrange to not reject the charge?" Sorry, no can do. Get rejected first then call was the answer. (Meaning I would have to reenter much of the reservation information, select seats, etc. all over again. Not so good.) So, I used my Costco Amex with gives the same 2% on travel expenses. (And soon will be 3%!!)
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have to agree.

I attempted to purchase tickets from a large foreign airline several times only to have the charges rejected. So, using my little brain, I called them ahead of time and said "Look, in a few minutes I am going to buy tickets RustyCrate Airways, can you please arrange to not reject the charge?" Sorry, no can do. Get rejected first then call was the answer. (Meaning I would have to reenter much of the reservation information, select seats, etc. all over again. Not so good.) So, I used my Costco Amex with gives the same 2% on travel expenses. (And soon will be 3%!!)
Yeah. BofA was good about taking details of the exact charging vendor name and exact charge in euros, if I called no more than three days in advance.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have to agree.

I attempted to purchase tickets from a large foreign airline several times only to have the charges rejected. So, using my little brain, I called them ahead of time and said "Look, in a few minutes I am going to buy tickets to Pottsylvania on RustyCrate Airways, can you please arrange to not reject the charge?" Sorry, no can do. Get rejected first then call was the answer. (Meaning I would have to reenter much of the reservation information, select seats, etc. all over again. Not so good.) So, I used my Costco Amex with gives the same 2% on travel expenses. (And soon will be 3%!!)
Too funny! The fraudulent charges I dealt with were from Aero Mexico. Someone bought whole bunches of them on a card reported stolen. Those id10ts made me dispute every one after I had reported that Home Depot gave my number away. Morons.

About like ATT telling me I need to call a different part of ATT to resolve a separate issue. I foolishly thought they were the phone company.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,018
got the new cards today . i activated them and enrolled on line . i get an error 413 trying to add it to full view . i can access it from outside full view so i will wait until tomorrow and try it again , other wise i will call them .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I'm assuming there are others here that have both the Fidelity Amex with 2% Rewards and the Visa with 1.5% Rewards. I logged into my Fidelity account and it looks like I'm getting 2 new replacement Visa cards. One with 2% Rewards that replaces the old Amex and second Visa with 1.5% Rewards for the old Fidelity Visa. This second Visa accrues at 1.5% up to the first $15,000 and then 2% thereafter. The two Rewards accounts are separate so that means I need to use the 1.5% Visa until I get to the 5000pt threshold for cashing out before I switch over exclusively to using the 2% Rewards Visa card. I wish they had combined the two accounts into just one 2% Fidelity Rewards Visa. It would have made the transition so much easier.
I'm one of those really old-timers who still have a Fidelity Mastercard (2% cash-back). Does anyone know what will happen to these? Will they be replace with a Visa too?
__________________
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Fidelity Replacement Cards with Elan
Old 06-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 72
Fidelity Replacement Cards with Elan

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I'm one of those really old-timers who still have a Fidelity Mastercard (2% cash-back). Does anyone know what will happen to these? Will they be replace with a Visa too?
Yes, it appears that all cards issued by FIA will be replaced with a Visa issued by Elan.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...ardmember-faqs
With this new program, you will receive an Elan Financial Services®-issued Fidelity® Visa Signature® card between mid-June and mid-July. This will replace your current Fidelity American Express®, MasterCard® or Visa® credit card(s) by July 22nd. All new credit cards will be part of the Visa® network, offering you the opportunity to enjoy Visa Signature® benefits.

Your cash back percentage will be the same as it is today. Existing points and balance will transfer to the new card on July 26.
__________________
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
got the new cards today . i activated them and enrolled on line . i get an error 413 trying to add it to full view . i can access it from outside full view so i will wait until tomorrow and try it again , other wise i will call them .
OK! I'll be looking for mine then. I've already got the alerts set up.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I also saw my new VISA numbers (the last four) when I logged into Fidelity today, and I saw the credit limit which was ~$1K less for some reason. It was an oddball number too, like $20,007.99. How weird is that!

I got notice that my Fidelty AMEX card would quit working on July 22nd.
OK, I finally figured out that my "credit remaining" was taking into account the the current balance on my FIA card. That wasn't my credit limit.

My new credit limit does match the old one when I add the two numbers up.

I was just surprised that the new card tracked the old one. Fidelity must be giving them that info.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,369
I've had the Elan Visa card for a few months now. It does everything as promised - 2% cash back just like the FIA AMEX card, and it does work with Apple Pay.

However, it doesn't automatically download transactions to Quicken for Mac (although it works fine for Windows), so I'm probably just going to use the Costco Visa card for most of my purchases.

Pretty frustrating because except for the Quicken issues it's a great card, but I'm too lazy to enter every transaction manually.
__________________
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I've had the Elan Visa card for a few months now. It does everything as promised - 2% cash back just like the FIA AMEX card, and it does work with Apple Pay.

However, it doesn't automatically download transactions to Quicken for Mac (although it works fine for Windows), so I'm probably just going to use the Costco Visa card for most of my purchases.

Pretty frustrating because except for the Quicken issues it's a great card, but I'm too lazy to enter every transaction manually.
I was expecting the Apple Pay support.

The not downloading transactions into Quicken - yuck! I've been able to import alternate formats. We'll have to see.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
USAA just changed my MC to a Visa, and they started booking my cc transactions under the new Visa number at least one week before mailing it to me, I didn't activate for another week but that didn't stop them. I use it for automatic billing, the old card is now cancelled, but I noticed today I forgot to update one account - but they're accepting the charge anyway.
Did they notify you? I have only 1 cc: a USAA Mastercard Rewards Card but nothing seems to have changed

Just went to USAA site and Mastercard doesn't show up for new cards but mine doesn't expire until 05/17 and I have all my bills on auto charge as well
__________________
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:26 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,018
they broke ties with amex .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 357
I got the Elan Visa about a week ago. Unlike the Costco AmEx to Visa conversion, the Elan Visa is good to go now after activation. It's going to be hard to keep track of the various Visa cards now and their bennies .

I need to call AmEx to get the Blue Everyday card (or whatever it's called) as we really like their enhanced car insurance option especially for int'l rentals.
__________________
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I got the Elan Visa about a week ago. Unlike the Costco AmEx to Visa conversion, the Elan Visa is good to go now after activation. It's going to be hard to keep track of the various Visa cards now and their bennies .

I need to call AmEx to get the Blue Everyday card (or whatever it's called) as we really like their enhanced car insurance option especially for int'l rentals.
If you have the Chase Sapphire, or the United Mileage or Coub card (also Chase) you get primary car rental insurance at no extra charge. Of course those cards have annual fees.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you have the Chase Sapphire, or the United Mileage or Coub card (also Chase) you get primary car rental insurance at no extra charge. Of course those cards have annual fees.
I have at least one of those cards and will compare coverage against the AmEx 'enhanced' coverage...thanks for the info.
__________________
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I have at least one of those cards and will compare coverage against the AmEx 'enhanced' coverage...thanks for the info.
One article that gets into the nitty gritty Credit Cards That Offer Primary Car Rental Coverage
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holding non-fidelity funds at fidelity panhead FIRE and Money 16 05-02-2013 07:37 AM
Fidelity offering Apple Gift Cards for new deposits panacea Other topics 17 02-23-2012 06:55 AM
Fidelity Replacement Income or VG Managed Payout TONASKET Stock Picking and Market Strategy 5 07-18-2010 09:58 PM
Garage Door Replacement gwix98 Other topics 16 05-21-2006 11:33 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.