Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity RIP
Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
gone traveling

Fidelity RIP

I was using the new Fidelity retirement income planner and the speedometer that was used to measure readiness is gone, just lists portfolio values for 2 risk scenarios. Did they can the speedometer? It was fun trying to boost it up by cutting expenses🙃

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Frankie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The speedometer is still on for me. I do have accounts there.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1926 View Post
I was using the new Fidelity retirement income planner and the speedometer that was used to measure readiness is gone, just lists portfolio values for 2 risk scenarios. Did they can the speedometer? It was fun trying to boost it up by cutting expenses��

Regarding the Speedometer. If you tell them that you are to retire on your birthday in March (for example). And then that date passes. The tool then assumes that you have retired and the speedometer goes away.

To get the Speedometer back, tell the tool you'll retire next year or later. And then adjust any income that matters like increased pension or increased Social Security payments etc.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Regarding the Speedometer. If you tell them that you are to retire on your birthday in March (for example). And then that date passes. The tool then assumes that you have retired and the speedometer goes away.

To get the Speedometer back, tell the tool you'll retire next year or later. And then adjust any income that matters like increased pension or increased Social Security payments etc.
Good point. I put in 62 as a retirement, even though I am retiring at 56.5. I plan on not touching my investments until 62+, and live solely off my rental income.

I also put in $1 a year as a salary, it's sort of a 'trick' to leave the additional savings from being added in.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
gone traveling

Hmm, my status changed to retired just recently, are u still working? Maybe thats it.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have to be a Fidelity customer to use RIP?
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I believe that anyone can use it (??)

The new name for the Retirement Income Planner is "The Planning and Guidance Center"

You can access it here:

https://www.fidelity.com/calculators...uidance-center
Old 04-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi all. If you change your status (or spouse) to retired the speedometer goes away. Found that out recently when I changed my status to retired, and confirmed with my Fidelity rep.

You have to be a Fidelity customer (have at least one account there) to use RIP.
omysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
gone traveling

Aha!

Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know of a retirement planning tool similar to RIP?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Similar in what way? (Just askin....)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately I don't know what RIP is like since I am not a Fidelity customer, but everyone talks about how great it is and I feel like I am missing out on something. One thing I have heard is it inflates healthcare expenses more than other retirement planning tools, but that is all I know.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
There are more retirement calculators than you can imagine. Here is a link to the Bogleheads list:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Reti...s_and_spending
Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Quicken Lifetime Planner, found in Quicken Premier desktop software.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 AM   #15

Fidelity RIP will not let me edit the asset allocation for my company 401k, and it has it wrong. I could call Fidelity and complain, and they could add it to the list of other concerns I've expressed, and then, like all the others, do nothing about it and provide me no assistance. Does anyone know any trick I could use, short of deleting the automatic-updating account, waiting a day, and then adding it back in as a manually-entered account, waiting another day, and then trying again?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Fidelity RIP will not let me edit the asset allocation for my company 401k, and it has it wrong. I could call Fidelity and complain, and they could add it to the list of other concerns I've expressed, and then, like all the others, do nothing about it and provide me no assistance. Does anyone know any trick I could use, short of deleting the automatic-updating account, waiting a day, and then adding it back in as a manually-entered account, waiting another day, and then trying again?
If the account can not be added for automatic updates, then manual is the only way to go. You can periodically check to see if FID has added the account (good luck).

Unfortunately, regardless of how accounts are added, if RIP can't figure out the Asset Allocation, there is no way to input what you think the AA is. So that part of the tool is not really useful
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You do have to be a customer; i.e., open an account. HOWEVER, you don't have to fund the account. That's what I did and it has worked fine.
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
If the account can not be added for automatic updates, then manual is the only way to go.
The account is added for automatic updates. It just is automatically updating the wrong allocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
Unfortunately, regardless of how accounts are added, if RIP can't figure out the Asset Allocation, there is no way to input what you think the AA is. So that part of the tool is not really useful
It's a critical failure afaic. I used to prefer RIP to QLP; now I'm not using RIP and just using QLP.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The account is added for automatic updates. It just is automatically updating the wrong allocation.

It's a critical failure afaic. I used to prefer RIP to QLP; now I'm not using RIP and just using QLP.
What is this "QLP" and where can I use it ?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

How is QLP, Quicken Lifetime Planner, better than RIP?