Fidelity RIP
Old 07-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Cough, cough...see post #5.

Thanks. Missed that one...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #22

Where is the score located? I have accounts at Fidelity and use the retirement calculator and also find it pretty thorough, but I don’t see any score. It does give the lowest estimated income of the ones I’ve used.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Where is the score located? I have accounts at Fidelity and use the retirement calculator and also find it pretty thorough, but I don’t see any score. It does give the lowest estimated income of the ones I’ve used.
The score should be on your main page of your Fidelity summary, perhaps on the right side.
Being that this is not obvious to you, perhaps call your Fidelity rep as to why you don't see it.
Usually from the first page, you click on the update.
Not sure how you could use the calculator without seeing the score.
Once in awhile, I get an income result instead of an overall score with assets remaining. I just run it again and it goes back to my overall score, etc.
Perhaps that is your reference.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Fido has a few. The one discussed here is the FRS Fidelity Retirement Score in the planning and guidance center. It should also be on main all accounts summary page on the website.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if u checked u are already retired, u will not see a score as I understand it
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
if u checked u are already retired, u will not see a score as I understand it
That is correct, but don't think perryinva is retired yet.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the FIDO calculator and find it most helpful. The one thing I take issue with is there is no option to adjust for inflation. They assume I believe a 2.5% for all Spend except for medical which is higher. When I asked, the answer was that if inflation escalates, so do market returns. I would feel better having the ability to vary inflation to stress test my plans.
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post
I like the FIDO calculator and find it most helpful. The one thing I take issue with is there is no option to adjust for inflation. They assume I believe a 2.5% for all Spend except for medical which is higher. When I asked, the answer was that if inflation escalates, so do market returns. I would feel better having the ability to vary inflation to stress test my plans.
Use Firecalc. You can put in any inflation rate you want.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #29

Not retired yet, but close. In January of each year I look at:
1. The Fidelity tool with my best guess of spending/tax bracket
2. Firecalc
3. The first year's withdrawal assuming classic VPW
4. The first year's withdrawal with my own PMT calculator as well as historical backtesting
5. A calculation of the "Funded Ratio" as described on BH and elsewhere
6. Anything else I can get my hands on.

I also add SS, but give it a 25% haircut. I also stress test assuming an early 2000's or 2008 type of correction. At the end of the day, what matters to me most is #4 above with #5 a close second. The rest, for me, are informational only for "feel good" effect.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #30

when I update my RIP within Fido I don't get the number (0 - 150), I just get amount left over (or when it runs out) based on a few stock market assumptions. Not sure how to run the version gives the one number result.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #31

Do I need an account to access Fidelity RIP?
I couldn't find it on their web site.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
when I update my RIP within Fido I don't get the number (0 - 150), I just get amount left over (or when it runs out) based on a few stock market assumptions. Not sure how to run the version gives the one number result.
As nwsteve alluded to, if you mark yourself as already retired, your result is the $ amount left over. If you are not already retired, you get the index.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
There is only one verison. If you're already retired, it won't give you a score. Or, if like I did once, you entered the wrong date for when you plan on retiring and that date is in the past, it won't give you a score.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
There is only one verison. If you're already retired, it won't give you a score. Or, if like I did once, you entered the wrong date for when you plan on retiring and that date is in the past, it won't give you a score.
+1
I simply enter my retirement age as +1 from my current age and not retired. Effectively using a retire all over again each year concept.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
I simply enter my retirement age as +1 from my current age and not retired. Effectively using a retire all over again each year concept.
Yup, that works and is exactly what I do. Basically it's helping to answer the question "Am I ready right about now?".
Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Do I need an account to access Fidelity RIP?
I couldn't find it on their web site.
I had heard that one did NOT need an account at Fidelity.
Any other thoughts out there?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I had heard that one did NOT need an account at Fidelity.
Any other thoughts out there?
I think the results are limited to just a score though if you are not a Fidelity member.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Likely not that important to see "the number". I normally extend my life expectancy, leave out some assets, and using the lowest market expectation and check what kind of spending it will support. I see that as more relevant.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Is or are there calculators out there that TELL YOU (Not just 4% Rule) how much one can withdraw safely during retirement? As Opposed to how much does one expect one will need to withdraw. I would love one that is downloadable. Or has some kind RE member written one that they can share? Here is what I am looking for:

Variables:
Total Retirement Nest Egg - Say $1m
Total Expected Average Return: Say 5%
Total Expected Inflation: Say 2% (Also Increase Per Year)

Total Expected SS Payments at Retirement Age: Say $2,500pm
Retirement Age: Say 65
Life Expectancy: Say 30 years (95)

Calculations starting day 1 is fine. So no additions other than estimated return to Nest Egg.

Results ideally would say You can withdraw $xyz Pm or Annually in Year 1 - 30. With a chart showing Annual withdrawal totals and how much of Nest Egg is left after every given year.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #40

Shok - I'm not an expert on FircCalc, but can't FireCalc get you that estimate with the Investigate tab on the far right? Near the bottom "Given a success rate, determine spending level for a set portfolio, or portfolio for a set spending level"

The "Your Portfolio" tab you can set the growth rate and inflation rates.

The "Other Income/Spending" tab set your estimated Social Security.

The "Start Here" tab set your 1M and 30 years.

I guess it doesn't show annual information in a spreadsheet, but it gives a spending level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Is or are there calculators out there that TELL YOU (Not just 4% Rule) how much one can withdraw safely during retirement? As Opposed to how much does one expect one will need to withdraw. I would love one that is downloadable. Or has some kind RE member written one that they can share? Here is what I am looking for:

Variables:
Total Retirement Nest Egg - Say $1m
Total Expected Average Return: Say 5%
Total Expected Inflation: Say 2% (Also Increase Per Year)

Total Expected SS Payments at Retirement Age: Say $2,500pm
Retirement Age: Say 65
Life Expectancy: Say 30 years (95)

Calculations starting day 1 is fine. So no additions other than estimated return to Nest Egg.

Results ideally would say You can withdraw $xyz Pm or Annually in Year 1 - 30. With a chart showing Annual withdrawal totals and how much of Nest Egg is left after every given year.

Thanks
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote