Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay I'm finally taking a look at the new RIP. It seems very slick - much better put together than many other similar tools. There are some problems. We have a Fidelity Cash Management Account, and so its balance appears as two separate accounts, therefore that money is appearing and is counted twice (though I set both to Unassigned, since it isn't intended for retirement).

My RPN is 91 (with underperforming market). It still shows a shortfall long before the end of our plan (using their crazy-long longevity estimates). We'll be 84 and 93 years old, respectively. I'm not sure if my expense estimates are good enough though. It'll be another few months before I can refine them (since we just moved here 11 months ago).
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I am traveling and only have access to the tool on my iPhone. It seems clunky, and they did not link my IRA account which is by far the largest account I have at Fidelity. Maybe they'll have the bugs out by the time I return home. If not I will call them and set up some time with one of the advisors to take me through it. I really liked the old RIP. If this isn't just as good or better I'm going to be bummed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
TrueNorth,
All you need to do to get any account included is be sure it is designated on your asset page as part of your "retirement" goal.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
TrueNorth,
All you need to do to get any account included is be sure it is designated on your asset page as part of your "retirement" goal.
Nwsteve

I've tried that multiple times but it doesn't seem to "stick". As 80% of our retirement assets are outside of Fido and thus not being included in the calcs, our supposed readiness number-while in double digits-turns out to be less than my age!
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
TrueNorth,
Nwsteve

Thanks. Actually, my Fido account isn't even listed so I can't designate it. Meanwhile, all my other accounts from other institutions that I had included myself in the old version show up just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm looking at the FRIP through my 401K, and it seems to be the same old one, as someone else mentioned.[/QUOTE]

When I login via my 403b portal (former employer), the old RIP is there. When I login via www.fidelity.com, the new RIP is there.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I am seeing the same thing as jkern. When I log in through NetBenefits (former employer plan), I see the old RIP.

When I log in at Fidelity.com, I see the new tool.

New tool seems to be working fine once I convinced it to count all my assets.

I like the visual interface, especially the ability to do everything in real dollars.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I am seeing the same thing as jkern. When I log in through NetBenefits (former employer plan), I see the old RIP.
I can get to the old RIP using the old URL which I had bookmarked.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

right now inflation is fixed at 2.50% but they are going to eventually let you enter what you want .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For now. They will remove the software as soon as they are all rolled out. No one wants to build their own gallows, "this product says X but the old one said Y". Not that I've ever heard that before.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
For now. They will remove the software as soon as they are all rolled out. No one wants to build their own gallows, "this product says X but the old one said Y". Not that I've ever heard that before.
When I activated the new RIP, I lost access to the old RIP the next day even though I had a bookmark url to go direct. If you still have access print off/save anything you think is of value--budget sheets, cash flow summary etc.
Nwsteve
Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #111
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Can you supply the bookmark?

With my old bookmark, I log-in and momentarily it displays "preparing" like the old one, but it immediately takes me to the new planner.

I would like to access the old one to at least get my real estate figures with mortgage rates, purchase dates, etc. and other assets that didn't come across.
otodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by otodd View Post

With my old bookmark, I log-in and momentarily it displays "preparing" like the old one, but it immediately takes me to the new planner.

I would like to access the old one to at least get my real estate figures with mortgage rates, purchase dates, etc. and other assets that didn't come across.
Suggest you clean your cookies and browser history before you try to use your old bookmark. Maybe you will have better luck than me. Like the previous poster, using my old bookmark I got rerouted to the new one after briefly seeing the old one. Since my Fido rep told me even she can not get back to the old one, I did not bother trying again after cleaning my browser. Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #113
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks. I cleared al Fidelity cookies, and browser cache. I still get the new page.

I'm hoping if enough people complain, they may re-enable access to the old RIP for a period of time, say a month to two.
otodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I cleared al Fidelity cookies, and browser cache. I still get the new page.

I'm hoping if enough people complain, they may re-enable access to the old RIP for a period of time, say a month to two.
Not likely.

IT management's bonuses are many times tied to getting a new product built AND the old code base retired. Sounds harsh but there are costs associated with keeping an old code base around(support $).
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Ugh, I think the new UI is terrible. Too much white space, buttons in random places, no natural flow to this tool. Would have been much better with some sort of side menu so you can easily move around to change parameters.

And while I'm grumbling, one thing I noticed is that it always gives the same results if you look at the detailed income and expenses analysis. For example, in the worst case scenario I always see a 15% market drop in the first year. This should not be the case if it is truly running a new MC simulation each time you do an analysis. There also should be variances/error bars to indicate the range of outcomes.

So there.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
Ugh, I think the new UI is terrible. Too much white space, buttons in random places, no natural flow to this tool. Would have been much better with some sort of side menu so you can easily move around to change parameters.

And while I'm grumbling, one thing I noticed is that it always gives the same results if you look at the detailed income and expenses analysis. For example, in the worst case scenario I always see a 15% market drop in the first year. This should not be the case if it is truly running a new MC simulation each time you do an analysis. There also should be variances/error bars to indicate the range of outcomes.

So there.
Agree with your comments re UI and need for more user centric info. Based on my convo with the Fido rep, they have a lot of "refinements" coming.
I also have a drop in my first year every time I run the model. Finally figured it has to be the deduction of the full annual expense spend with no adjustment for portfolio growth. Clearly a conservative view. Another nit I found and was told it is being corrected, is the RMD amounts are off a year if your birthday is in the last half of the year, which pushes RMD off until the ext calendar year when you actually turn 70.5.

Nwsteve
Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
I've tried that multiple times but it doesn't seem to "stick". As 80% of our retirement assets are outside of Fido and thus not being included in the calcs, our supposed readiness number-while in double digits-turns out to be less than my age!
you can include outside accounts by linking them using Full View. Or if you don't like electronic linking (or have issues with Full View), then you can manually load the missing accounts into the RIP assets.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, bingybear, but I do have my non-Fido assets manually entered and it even brings them in from the old RIP program. Problem is that it doesn't classify them as "retirement" and although I've done that reclassification multiple times, that's the part that doesn't "stick".
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:53 AM   #119

Quote:
https://incomeplanner.fidelity.com/planner
Old 11-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #120

Quote:
Ugh, I think the new UI is terrible. Too much white space, buttons in random places, no natural flow to this tool.
A big part of my job is user experience. The new UI is significant superior to the old UI in at least one of the specific ways you've mentioned. The old UI was far too crowded. Most human beings need the whitespace to help them better process what they're seeing. Also, other than putting the data in (see below), there is a pretty decent natural flow. The flow seems to be optimized to support review of the analysis, not data entry. My own experience is that trying to achieve two different consumption objectives with the same UI is bad UX. My own software does the same thing - it was just far too expensive to consider the correct answer: Creating two independent UIs, one for data entry and one for review, analysis and such.

There are some unfortunate button placement choices, but I'm not sure yet whether they're actually misplaced or if instead I'm allowing my familiarity with the old tool to color my perception. More specifically, the Accounts & Income Sources button is very poorly placed. Personally, I think there should be a tab prior to "Savings Rate" that lists "Accounts & Income Sources", with a button on that tab to add/remove/change the data. I also think that the Hypothetical Detailed Income/Assets drop-down and the Underperforming Market/Average Market drop-down should be alongside the gear and show tabular data hotspots in the chart, the gear hotspot really should be a "Today's Dollars/Future Dollars" drop-down to match the drop-downs I'd put aside it. I also think the tool, itself, is buried too far deeply into the Fidelity website structure. Other than that, I believe Fidelity made substantially correct UX choices.

Now: What does it mean if you don't agree with my criticisms of the UX? Even though I'm trained in this stuff, and do that work on a daily basis, I'm not willing to say "I'm right and you're wrong." Most likely, it means that we're both wrong and Fidelity got it right. A lot of this work involves applying some basic theories (as I alluded to above) but then watching a lot of real people of different sorts using the system, and learning from things as subtle as what order their eyes move about the page (much less what buttons they try in what order...)

Quote:
Would have been much better with some sort of side menu so you can easily move around to change parameters.
That's an idea. The old RIP didn't do a good job in that regard either.