Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I only got one "de minimus" 1099 and a couple that just did not sent 1099's because the interest was of a level that would be "de minimus". I looked up those and filed those also.
Personally I would like not seeing the "de minimus".... it just means I did not make much on the assets (or possibly had little $ in it I guess). I would rather be getting a decent return.
I'm not crying over $2.07 interest in a checking account. I have others with $0 interest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A couple of times in the past I've filed my taxes, then received a corrected 1099 a few days later that materially altered my return, meaning I had to file an amended one. I would MUCH rather have them get an extension.
A valid point, I agree.
If they owe me big due to withholding, I'm tempted to file on January 1st with "my calculations", then again in April, when I get the final numbers. I've never done an amended return. If it was as easy as printing and mailing a new set of forms, that would be easy. But I guess it's more involved than that, and I've never seen an option in the tax software to select a before and after, then automatically print the amended return. I'm sure the IRS doesn't want to make it too easy!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We usually file late March in case of updated/modified 1099s. Haven't had corrected 1099s for a number of years now. But we still delay.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We usually file late March in case of updated/modified 1099s. Haven't had corrected 1099s for a number of years now. But we still delay.
We've started filing in early February because of the growing risk of fraud/identity theft. Filing an amended return if something shows up later is not really a big inconvenience by comparison.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We've started filing in early February because of the growing risk of fraud/identity theft. Filing an amended return if something shows up later is not really a big inconvenience by comparison.
It's a consideration. We took other steps last year to make us less vulnerable to someone getting our IRS info.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Schwab still has Feb 26th listed on their website. It's the last piece I'm waiting for.

Same here. Hoping to file by end of February. One of the ways suggested to prevent IRS fraud (people filing under your name/number) is to file early. I'd sure like to be able to file sooner if for no other reason but to minimize that risk.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Schwab still has Feb 26th listed on their website. It's the last piece I'm waiting for.
my schwab forms showed up online yesterday.

now waiting on my HSA forms (not really needed) and giving time for corrected forms... if that happens with any.

Calculations for our Roth conversion kept us just below the top of 15% bracket as planned. Nice when something works out.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #48

I just received my hard-copy Fidelity forms in the mail yesterday. TurboTax imported them a week+ ago.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
my schwab forms showed up online yesterday.
+1 here although they are not available for download to tax programs until Feb 26th.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
+1 here although they are not available for download to tax programs until Feb 26th.
Schwab and Fidelity don't provide compatible downloads for TaxAct (the tax program I use). They do provide instructions on how to download the data from the website and create a csv file that can be imported. However, I don't have too many transactions, so import is of little importance in my case.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

The details on foreign tax paid by specific Fidelity mutual funds finally became available today.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The details on foreign tax paid by specific Fidelity mutual funds finally became available today.
This link with the Fidelity numbers was posted last week on Bogleheads:
https://advisor.fidelity.com/app/lit...Type=pdf&pos=R

Did Fidelity give you this link or something else?
Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1, that has been my approach for several years now.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
This link with the Fidelity numbers was posted last week on Bogleheads:
https://advisor.fidelity.com/app/lit...Type=pdf&pos=R

Did Fidelity give you this link or something else?
That's a different document. May have the same information. That document has a lot more funds listed and is supplying more info than foreign income.

The link I was waiting for is on this page under foreign source income: https://www.fidelity.com/taxes/fidel...ax-information

And this is the PDF, it starts with instructions: https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/...-info-2015.pdf
Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I had figured my delay in 1099-DIV etc was due to the determination of how much of the VNQ dividend is reclassified as 'non-dividend distribution'. AKA return of capital.
My 1099-DIV appeared a few days ago, no longer preliminary. VNQ the only ETF with return of capital.
Today Schwab sent me mail saying they reclassified dividends from a bunch of my ETFs. The only stuff in taxable is SCHC and SCHF. 19.5% of SCHC's dividend becomes non-taxable (well not until I sell) return of capital. A little under 1% of SCHF's was return of capital.
So I assume my not preliminary 1099-DIV will have to be updated. Well it better as it's not a small amount taxed at often bad levels.
Luckily I learned many years ago never to file my taxes early.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity tells me that I will be getting a new 1099-DIV with a restatement like this.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

VNQ (REIT index) is reasonably tax inefficient, so I hold my shares in tax-advantaged accounts and not in a taxable account.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
VNQ (REIT index) is reasonably tax inefficient, so I hold my shares in tax-advantaged accounts and not in a taxable account.
How does that work out when you're taxable account is six times bigger than your tax deferred and tax free accounts :-). I don't really have a choice. Return of capital helps a lot.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #59

Update

Received an email from Fidelity that the updated tax form is available and just finished downloading. I imagine the data is also available to input into TurboTax.