Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity Visa Fraud detection seriously lacking
Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity Visa Fraud detection seriously lacking

Anyone else having issues with poor fraud detection on their Fidelity Visa card? I'm traveling in Portland, Oregon and all my charges from the past several days are from the Portland area. I get a card not present alert that someone in England has used my card at a campground. Since I am the only authorized user on the card one would think their fraud detection system would have denied that charge. I have also never used this card overseas because of the foreign transaction fees. This should also have sent up a red flag on their fraud detection system. I'm beginning to wonder if Elan Financial Services has any fraud detection system at all. This is my second card is as many years. The fraudulent charge on my previous card was from a utility company in Mexico. Apparently their fraud detection system/algorithm is also incapable of learning from past fraud charges. Just venting here.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They notified me and preemptively shut the card down. I reviewed the suspect charges over the phone with them, identified the ones that were legit and a new card was sent.

First class fraud detection for me.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I always get immediate notifications by text and email of card not present transactions. I then contact them if fraud.

I haven’t experienced the case of overseas fraud, but I have gotten domestic fraud.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Never had a problem with mine. Hopefully my good luck continues....
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
gone traveling

No problems here for me!
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Just last night they over-protected me. Stopped a renewal of a 6 month subscription despite being an identical charge I've had before...

The subscription had alerted me via email that it was declined, so I used another CC this morning to re-up. Then Fido had a bot call me at 8:30 AM to ask if the charge was ok.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have found Fidelity Visa to be overly cautious with fraud detection. That is OK with me. The one time a fraudulent charge went through they took care of it promptly once I notified them.
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

They have done a very good job with me, both before and after Elan taking it over.

I wonder why you've had such bad luck?
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
They have done a very good job with me, both before and after Elan taking it over.

I wonder why you've had such bad luck?

Good question considering I've also removed the CCV number from the back of the card so any unscrupulous merchants who I hand the card over to can't easily take a photo of the card and CCV number while they're processing the transaction.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Good question considering I've also removed the CCV number from the back of the card so any unscrupulous merchants who I hand the card over to can't easily take a photo of the card and CCV number while they're processing the transaction.
I hate to say it, but this might be a big part of the problem.
After suffering from this a number of times, I sat down and analyzed the occurrences based on location and timing. I concluded that in every single case the fraud occurred within weeks of my handing the card to someone (usually a waiter at a restaurant, and not near home).

After figuring this out, I resolved to never again let a credit card out of my sight. That did the trick, and I've had the fraud problem maybe twice in the last 7 or 8 years (out of about ten different cards).

The only change this policy has made in my life is that I now keep a fair amount of cash in my wallet so I can use it in restaurants instead of handing over a card.

This may not be exactly your problem, but it sure worked well for me.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my experience, the Fido Elan Visa system is no better and no worse than any of the other cards I use. I have had it go all possible ways (i.e. fraud charges they did not catch, fraud they DID catch, legit charges they blocked and, obviously, legit charges they did not block).
Come to think of it, scary how many fraudulent charges I have been "involved" with.... I have lost count of the number of card replacements I have gone through. It has never directly cost me a penny, but it IS a hassle. I do have a lot of CC charges (never do cash, checks, or debit charges anymore), and I do try to watch the whereabouts of my cards. That said, some of these cases almost certainly have arisen from hacks, and not just from fraudulent swipes, I'd think. But who knows.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Anyone else having issues with poor fraud detection on their Fidelity Visa card? I'm traveling in Portland, Oregon and all my charges from the past several days are from the Portland area. I get a card not present alert that someone in England has used my card at a campground. Since I am the only authorized user on the card one would think their fraud detection system would have denied that charge. I have also never used this card overseas because of the foreign transaction fees. This should also have sent up a red flag on their fraud detection system. I'm beginning to wonder if Elan Financial Services has any fraud detection system at all. This is my second card is as many years. The fraudulent charge on my previous card was from a utility company in Mexico. Apparently their fraud detection system/algorithm is also incapable of learning from past fraud charges. Just venting here.
I don't see the problem.
You and the card are in Portland.
The transaction was in England.
But it was a "card not present" transaction. Same as an Amazon or other internet purchase. For all Elan knows you bought something online.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #13

I don’t want to steal OP thread but it seems original post was addressed.

Banks and CC companies have EASY options for fraud protection from entering codes like a debit card and automatically changing the 3 digit code on the back so it becomes one time use. This is especially helpful for online purchases. Right now paying for fraud and fraud protection is considered cheaper than offering cards with these features.

At least we are protected from fraud but it seems to me a CC with a better protection approach on the front end of purchases would be a lot better. My suggestion is to let your CC company know you want more security built into your CC. The chip was a big step but the changing codes, especially for online purchases would add comfort and convenience for me.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had only positive experiences with their anti-fraud team.
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I’ve had worse experiences with other cards. Fidelity at least pays me 2% cash back. I can put up with some grief for that.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I don't see the problem.
You and the card are in Portland.
The transaction was in England.
But it was a "card not present" transaction. Same as an Amazon or other internet purchase. For all Elan knows you bought something online.

I recently made 2 larger on-line purchases (500-1,000 USD) from the UK using my Fidelity Visa card. As far as I know, neither transaction was questioned. based on my sampling of 1, the location of the card holder and the location of "card not present" purchase would appear to not be proof of theft.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My mother has the Fidelity card with no issues to date.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #18

The Fidelity VISA is the only card I've had fraudulent charges on, once with FIA and once with Elan. In the first case, a few small charges went through before they caught the big one for several hundred dollars for a smartphone someone bought overseas. With Elan, they caught a $5000 charge to a charity I'd never heard of.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #19

I agree that ELAN has not been a problem with fraud protection for me. Had it happen a couple of times with both Discover Card and also Amazon, (Chase Bank), card. I get a text message for any FIDO card purchase over $5.00 so I would know rapidly of any significant problem.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

No problems with Fidelity/Elan - they once flagged a charge I made which was online and the vendor was outside the US, I called them up and had it cleared. Glad they were vigilant to catch it.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote