Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fidelity vs. Vanguard
Old 04-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have both Fidelity and VG. I have something about having everything in one place. A coupe of years ago I had to transfer an inherited IRA from the benefactor account to a new account. I called both Fidelity and VG for advice and finally ended up with Fidelity. The transfer proved pretty difficult and I was extremely impressed with Fidelity customer service. Even though they don't have a lot of index/low fee funds, there are enough there to suit most of my needs. They will be my favorite for business in the future.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
I get $8 trades which I can not get at Vanguard even at Flagship.
Vanguard gives flagship account holders 12 free trades each year, and subsequent trades after you use up the 12 are $8 each.

Also, while I've never used Fidelity's billpayer, vanguard offers full banking services including electronic bill paying, no fees at the flagship level. The ebill payer is actually the exact same service my old credit union offered.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
The Fidelity also showed me a way to bump my cash earnings from 2.5% to 4.4.*
nwsteve
Steve, this sounds interesting for sure. Could you describe what you mean?

Ha
Old 04-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Steve, this sounds interesting for sure. Could you describe what you mean?

Ha
Ha
Once you complete the Income Planner, you can access Fidelity's Income Manager. The big difference is outside the Income Manager, your core account uses a different MM for clearing transactions--pays only 2.75 I think. They also allow you do use their tax free money market which pays just a shade less.
When you are in the Income Manager, you can use Fidelity Cash Reserves that pays currently 4.4--hope all that makes sense.
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Vanguard gives flagship account holders 12 free trades each year, and subsequent trades after you use up the 12 are $8 each.

Also, while I've never used Fidelity's billpayer, vanguard offers full banking services including electronic bill paying, no fees at the flagship level.* The ebill payer is actually the exact same service my old credit union offered.
CFB
Thanks for clarifying--my info on Flagship was obviously incomplete. --Unfortunately I do not have enough in V to make their Flagship level (its in F instead*
Reinforces the two are decent choices.* I will say before I moved to Fidelity's tGold (F's top category) I was paying only $11 for trades.* For V, their Voyager rate is 22.50/trade.* It is important for those choosing between V & F* to be sure they appreciate the service breaks and charges for the services they personally will use.* It looks like the two are neck and neck at their top level--next step down, I think F probably has an edge with their cost structure.

nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

90% of my taxable and tax-deferred are with Fidelity. They just kinda conglomerated there, mostly because of my employer retirement plans and plans of my wife's employer. However, am now seriously considering Vanguard when i ER. Fidelity doesn't have the domestic and international small cap value funds that Vanguard has and V's index funds cover a broader spectrum for diversifying. Overall, V has the edge on lowest management fees - the fees for its Index funds are almost non-existent (as they should be). Paul Merriman's book is an excellent treatment on this whole subject.

Finally, if i had my druthers, I'd be moving into DFA, but have not yet decided if i want/need a Financial Advisor and the price tag that comes with it. However, the DFA funds are definitely a cut above all others (no, i'm not associated with DFA).
rrspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #27

Talk about a mess, including the wife and kids we have over the years accumulated 22 accounts, including Vanguard, Fidelty, Schwab, Mercer, T Rowe Price, Smith Barney, ETrade, some 403(b) insurance companies, and some others that I can't remember. I'm slowly trying to consolidate into Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard, with the big rollover IRA at Vanguard. With all those accounts it is difficult to keep very accurate track of asset allocation. :
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again everyone.* A couple more follow up questions.*

- If I moved to VG and opened only VG funds, then switched to Fido later, I could move the VG funds to Fido without having to sell the funds(move them "in kind")?* Therefore no taxable event.* And visa versa...

- How about the websites for Fido vs. VG?* One easier to use than the other?

After reading all the posts, I think I'm inclined to move everything to Vanguard except for the 401K's currently with Fido.* This way, I can test them both out, and if I want to further consolidate later, I can.*

Now if I could just get off my butt and fill out all the transfer forms and finalize my asset allocation....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #29

When we switched my Mom's accounts from Merrill Lynch to Vanguard, they did almost all the work. Certainly there was no listing of securities. You just give them a few pages with signature, name, account number etc. and they work it all out with the closing-down broker. One of life's little secrets? Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my own experience the Fidelity site is slightly more infomrative and easier to use. Lower expenses on funds with VG in general. Fid. has low cost funds with expenses only temporarily(?) reduced by management.
I like in VG that you can include non-VG funds and track all your portfolio there.

I don't understand why you would switch VG funds in kind to be managed by Fid.?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
I don't understand why you would switch VG funds in kind to be managed by Fid.?
A couple reasons which may or may not apply to everyone:
- You don't plan to buy any more shares in the fund you hold (thus avoiding Fidelity's potential $75 purchase fee).
- The fund custodian has pissed you off for the last time so you move to Fidelity where you're not nickel-and-dimed to death or frustrated by customer "service". I did this with Tweedy, Browne-- I'm not implying that I ever had a similar experience with Vanguard.
- You're doing a Roth IRA conversion and want Fidelity to be custodian of both the traditional IRA and the Roth IRA to minimize the confusion.
- You're consolidating assets with one firm for their breakpoint pricing & services.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

rrspike,

I agree with you that the best funds out there are the DFA funds. The backdoor way to get into them is the West Virginia's 529 plan. Smart529select, or something like that. I personally have money in it for full disclosure. Once you get over the 25K mark, they waive the annual fee which brings down all their choices to a max 1.10% for fees. This backdoor is also only good if they don't change the current tax laws.

The second way after perusing the web seems to be Cardiff Park advisors who do a flat fee "depending how complex your situation is." But even on tehir own website, they say will be between 600-2400/yr, paid in quarterly installments. No, I do not use them, but it is very tempting.

eyetri2
eyetri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetri2
rrspike,

I agree with you that the best funds out there are the DFA funds.* The backdoor way to get into them is the West Virginia's 529 plan. Smart529select, or something like that.* I personally have money in it for full disclosure.* Once you get over the 25K mark, they waive the annual fee which brings down all their choices to a max 1.10% for fees.* This backdoor is also only good if they don't change the current tax laws.

The second way after perusing the web seems to be Cardiff Park advisors who do a flat fee "depending how complex your situation is."* But even on tehir own website, they say will be between 600-2400/yr, paid in quarterly installments.* No, I do not use them, but it is very tempting.

eyetri2
thanks for the tip eye.
rrspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure about Fidelity but Vanguard is very primitive in one respect. They have no "routing number" (ABA number or whatever) like you use to transfer cash to other financial institutions online. Vanguard readily uses the routing information from other institutions to transfer cash into Vanguard accounts but they make it hard to go the other way. As it is, I have to first transfer cash to my checking account at my bank. Then I can transfer it anywhere I wish. But I find this very annoying.

Fidelity's website is clearly more user friendly, in my opinion.

Vanguard offers the Financial Engines tool free of charge. I find FE very informative. Unfortunately some features have been broken for weeks and Vanguard appears to making little effort to fix it. I've called several times about this. The feature that's broken is it's capability to import information from accounts outside Vanguard. This feature allows you to include up-to-date info from all your accounts in your analysis without have to manually type them in. A quirky feature gives all external accounts the same name. But I'm familiar enough with the amounts in my various accounts that I can identify them fairly easily. But it makes Vanguard pretty slack to let this go. It also makes it look like there aren't many people using Financial Engines. Makes me feel like they may drop FE at any time since it's so neglected.

Vanguard generally just feels less polished than Fidelity. But I still use and like them both.
km4hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetri2
rrspike,

I agree with you that the best funds out there are the DFA funds. The backdoor way to get into them is the West Virginia's 529 plan. Smart529select, or something like that. I personally have money in it for full disclosure. Once you get over the 25K mark, they waive the annual fee which brings down all their choices to a max 1.10% for fees. This backdoor is also only good if they don't change the current tax laws.

The second way after perusing the web seems to be Cardiff Park advisors who do a flat fee "depending how complex your situation is." But even on tehir own website, they say will be between 600-2400/yr, paid in quarterly installments. No, I do not use them, but it is very tempting.

eyetri2

Shop around, the firm I work for invests a lot of client money in DFA funds. There are a few advisory firms that will let you buy in with a one time fee. Once the funds are in your account, you can buy more through the schwab or fidelity website (depending on your custodian) without paying any more than the transaction fee.

I wish I could offer a special for forum members, but I can't (NOTE!!! THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION)
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fidelity, vanguard