Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity vs Vanguard or others
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Fidelity vs Vanguard or others

Ok I'm a slow learner but I just got wacked over the back of my head and I see the light.

I am currently with Merrill with $530,000 in wife and my IRA's and as I head into ER I have really been going over all my expenses.

I hardly ever trade stocks, I'm kinda of a buy mutual fund and hold type of person but a week ago the price on a stock I liked went down enough to where I wanted to by it. I purchased 300 shares of a $27 stock and Merrill wacked me with a $200 fee. I looked further and noticed there were $100 yearly fees on each account and the funds they put me in had quite high expenses which would be fine if they out performed my no load funds but they didn't.

I want to pull out our money and transfer it to another company and I was considering Fedelity and Vanguard.

So I thought I'd come here for some advice.

Vanguard, Fidelity or someone else. What do you think?
vl4226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard sounds ideal for you. Can't really go wrong with Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab, IMO.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

A WellsTrade brokerage account might be something to consider, but only if you are able to make your own investment decisions. With $25,000 in an account you get 100 free stock and mutual fund trades a year, enough for 99.9% of us. There are hundreds of no-load mutual fund options. You can call their 800 number and someone will make sure all the forms get filled out correctly over the phone.
AzDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I/wife have a 50/50 split between Vanguard and Fidelity.

Both have their good/bad points, and I won't recommend either since everybody has their different "requirements" for a fund company.

For me, I'll agree with a lot of folks on this board that Vanguard has the lowest fees (in certain areas).

As for myself, I perfer Fidelity's tools. For example, a person in my situation (retired) finds more value in using Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner (RIP) rather than Vanguard's tool (Financial Engines) which is good for a person in their employment years (pre-retired) but is not designed for the retiree.

I also use Fidelity's IMA (Income Management Account) for managing my income (won't go into details, here), but Vanguard supplying the same type of service would cost $30/yr for each of us.

I'm sure you will receive a lot of comments on who is "better". I'm from the camp that says "why can't you just take the best from each?"....

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Its very easy to pay no account fees at Vanguard. (minimum of 100K total or 10K per fund, or all electronic statements) Most funds have very low E.R. Full disclosure: I use Vanguard. I've heard nothing but good about Fidelity, T.R. Price and Schwab.

One thought; if you tend to buy individual stocks at all Vanguard may not be your choice. Their brokerage fees are not competitive.

t.r.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Vanguard. Especially if you have substantial funds to bring over. Fido has a few cheap funds, but if you fully diversify with VG you will probably come out on top in the long run as most of their funds seem to have a declining ER and they have a great selection of index funds. My ER the last time that I checked was 0.17% with Vanguard.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Depends...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Depends...

I was exclusively with Fidelity for more than 10 years until 2004 when my holdings were individual equities and actively managed funds. I then switched all my holdings to Vanguard, simply because William Bernstein (and others) convinced me to use more index funds and Fidelity's index offerings were considerably fewer with higher expenses. Fidelity's statements were better but that's about it. I'd much rather have Vanguard's lower expenses for the same performance from my experience at least. They both offer impressive service for the most part, although I would give Vanguard a slight edge there too. Just one person's opinion...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use T. Rowe-Price and am quite satisfied.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #9

I moved my entire retirement portfolio from Merrill to Vanguard and am very pleased. DH just moved his IRA and portfolio from Merrill to VG as well. Easy to do on the phone; VG handled all the paperwork and follow up; and if you're moving over a sizeable sum, they give you extra benefits like a complimentary portfolio review, reduced fee or free stock trades, etc.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

when you take your dough from merrill dont forget to thank them for screwing up our economy
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here's a rational way to separate two reputable low-cost investment fund firms...VG vs. FD

How many VG commercials have you seen lately? I've seen zero, but I've seen a couple dozen of FD's IRA commercial over the last month or so. My guess is that VG passes along those non-expenditures to its customers through lower costs. To another posters point though, I'm sure there are a few positives of FD's over VG..i.e. tools. Not sure you can really go wrong if you're going to stick with one for the longhaul.
Keopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

VG is primarily a bond house and index fund outfit. Can't beat it for low costs. I am currently moving my stuff from Schwab to VG. However, if you want a brokerage account to do a little trading this is not the place and they do not have margin accounts.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
VG is primarily a bond house and index fund outfit. Can't beat it for low costs. I am currently moving my stuff from Schwab to VG. However, if you want a brokerage account to do a little trading this is not the place and they do not have margin accounts.
VG does in fact have margin accounts. I use them for my trading with no problems. They also give me 12 free trades a year.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I use Spartan funds at Fido, total stock market / small mid cap index funds at Vanguard.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

we use Fidelity, simply b/c I like a brick and mortar place to walk into on occasion. Last month I had a bunch of different things that I wanted to do, so we went with a stack of papers and settled it all at once. Doing it online is a bigger hassle for me, since invariably I hit electronic hiccups, or frozen screen. Undoubtedly I'm doing something wrong probably, but I also like getting free snacks, drinks, and if you go at the end of the day on a Friday, they let you take the periodicals, including Barron's (heh, which I know no one here much likes).
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
we use Fidelity, simply b/c I like a brick and mortar place to walk into on occasion. Last month I had a bunch of different things that I wanted to do, so we went with a stack of papers and settled it all at once. Doing it online is a bigger hassle for me, since invariably I hit electronic hiccups, or frozen screen. Undoubtedly I'm doing something wrong probably, but I also like getting free snacks, drinks, and if you go at the end of the day on a Friday, they let you take the periodicals, including Barron's (heh, which I know no one here much likes).
I'm so glad you posted this because I wondered if being able to go face to face with Fidelity would be a factor in Fidelity vs. Vanguard. Free snack and drinks, too!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

To All, Thank you.

A lot of helpful insight was given and even though trading stocks excites me (I also like to go to Atlantic City) I don't think I'd like to play with my Retirement. After reading all the comments and my desire to keep things simple it sounds like Vanguard offers the type of funds I would want to be in along with reasonable expenses and fees. If I want to gamble I'll just go to AC.
vl4226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Free snack and drinks, too!
Can't anyone just walk in and snack away?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - being highly opionated after forty years - the three I liked best: Vanguard, and T Rowe Price/Fidelity almost even.

I even like the Boglehead moniker.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Can't anyone just walk in and snack away?
I don't know about "anybody", but I've attended customer presentations during the lunch hour and they've had pizza & drinks (soda/tea).

Yes I know I'm "paying" for it in some way, but it still is nice to have a "place to go". Just as you can get better returns by using a net bank vs. "brick & mortar" bank, it's a nice touch.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fidelity, vanguard