Join Early Retirement Today

FIDO credit card - recent experience?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIDO credit card - recent experience?

We looked at getting a Fido credit card a couple of years ago, but the reviews on the bank that managed the card were terrible, with lots of declines for legitimate purchases.

Has the situation improved? We'd love to get the flat 2% cash back, but not if it comes with a lot of hassle.

Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had the Fidelity card for several years and have never had a problem.

I should add that we use it very heavily and enjoy the 2% cash rebate.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had a problem with Fido's card - and I have been using it for 5+ years
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Only been using it for a couple of years now but I have had no issues. They pay the bills, I pay them. When I look at reviews of credit cards, the things I see that label the card as poor come from people that are not in my situation. I never see a negative review from someone who uses their card regularly, stays under their limit and pays it off every month. In that situation, I’ve never actually interacted with the bank to have any basis for evaluating them. The card just works.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also have been using Fido CC for the last 5 years with no declines or any other problems.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Have used for several years with no problems.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't like the Fido reviews, get the Citi Double Cash card. Same 2% cash back on everything with no limits.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Charge almost everything on the FIDO card with no problems. Nice to see the $60 to $70 reward in my FIDO account every month also.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No problems here either, and I've found them to be excellent in catching fraudulent transactions, both before and since they've been run by Elan.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No Problems.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #11

I've been using it for 95% of my expenses with no issues. The fraud dept quickly issued a new card when the number was stolen a couple of times. Cash rewards are promptly credited to my brokerage account.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
If you don't like the Fido reviews, get the Citi Double Cash card. Same 2% cash back on everything with no limits.
We have the DoubleCash and have for years. We received an offer for the Fido 2% card in the mail and I looked at it casually... as I understood it you had to have your rebate deposited into a Fido account to get the 2%, otherwise it was 1%. While we have a tIRA and HSAs with Fido, we don't have a taxable account.... so I don't see much advantage to the Fido card unless one has a Fido taxable account. Right?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #13

I've had not problems with the card in years of having it. There have been a few instances of fraudulent charges that were promptly taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While we have a tIRA and HSAs with Fido, we don't have a taxable account.... so I don't see much advantage tot eh Fido card unless one has a Fido taxable account. Right?
It appears that you are wrong.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...signature-card

Quote:
Choose from up to 5 eligible accounts,4 including:

Brokerage account
Fidelity® Cash Management Account
Fidelity®-managed 529 College Savings plan
Retirement account
Fidelity Go® account
Fidelity Charitable® Giving Account®
Fidelity HSA®
The fine print:

Quote:
4. Eligible accounts include most nonretirement registrations as well as Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Rollover IRA, SEP IRA, Fidelity Charitable® Giving Account®, Fidelity HSA®, and Fidelity®-managed 529 College Savings Plan accounts. The ability to contribute to an IRA or 529 college savings plan account is subject to IRS rules and specific program policies, including those on eligibility and annual and maximum contribution limits. Full details appear in the Program Guidelines new card customers receive with their card. Contributions to Fidelity Charitable® are generally eligible for a federal income tax charitable deduction. Please consult with your tax advisor. The list of eligible registration types may change without notice at Fidelity’s sole discretion. For more information about whether a particular registration is eligible, please call 1-800-FIDELITY (800-343-3548).
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #14

I set up autopay on my Fido card. They underpaid the bill by $8 I was watching so I saw it. It might have cost my some money otherwise. I hope next month goes better.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
.... It appears that you are wrong.
In my circumstances, you are wrong

I'm retired and have no earned income so I can't contribute to my Fidelity tIRA and our current health insurance is not HSA-eligible so we can't contribute to the Fidelity HSA accounts either. In both cases I presume that any credits from the credit card would be considered contributions.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve also been using it for years with no problem. We use it heavily as well to get the cash back.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We have the DoubleCash and have for years. We received an offer for the Fido 2% card in the mail and I looked at it casually... as I understood it you had to have your rebate deposited into a Fido account to get the 2%, otherwise it was 1%. While we have a tIRA and HSAs with Fido, we don't have a taxable account.... so I don't see much advantage to the Fido card unless one has a Fido taxable account. Right?
Right. I have a Fido account with a MM fund in it. The cash goes into the MM fund. I transfer it to a bank when I want to spend it.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #18

No problems at all after 5 years using the Fidelity 2% card. We have the cash-back deposited into a MMF in our Fidelity cash management account, which we use like a checking account. Very convenient in our situation. The Citi Double Cash looks like a great card as well. I might get that just to have a separate 2% card for recurring bills, where the physical card never leaves my sock drawer.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks much -- that all makes it easy.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #20

No problems here either, my favorite card. I have my cash back credited to my fido cash account and I have the interest from the muni bonds sent there too. I pay off the card with the dough in the cash account, discounted by last months card usage.