Join Early Retirement Today

FIDO dropping costs again
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

FIDO dropping costs again

Got an email from Fidelity that as of next month they are converting all their funds to just one class (currently "Investor" and "Premium") and all will have the lowest ER.

Gotta give them credit for competing hard against Vanguard.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This will be good news for a lot of customers.
My guess is that Fidelity will have a hard time competing with Vanguard to be the lowest-cost provider of mutual funds. Vanguard's customer-owned corporate structure and their lower overhead costs (no B&M stores, etc) give them a big advantage. But for those who want what Fido has (better hand-holding, wider array of in-house managed funds, slicker web site, etc), the low costs could be the icing on the cake.

It may turn into a Walmart (low cost, bare bones, well run) vs Target (slightly more expensive, more polished, well run) competition, and that's good for everybody. Fido is doing a good job of not becoming Sears (fat, irrelevant).

Full disclosure: I've got funds at both Fido and Vgd.

samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Actually, I think Fido has quite a few (dozens) of index funds with lower costs than Vanguard. Probably not that competitive if you look at their whole fund universe, but they're obviously trying. Abigail still probably has a bigger yacht than her average customer though.

And I'm at both too.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got an email from Fidelity that as of next month they are converting all their funds to just one class (currently "Investor" and "Premium") and all will have the lowest ER.

They had already made the lowest ER change when they announced the new zero funds. So we've been enjoying the lowest ERs for a while.

Now they are in the process of merging the four index funds classes for each type, and I believe they will be using the Institutional Premium version ticker.

The Fidelity Index funds have ALL been lower ER than the Vanguard Admiral Index funds for a while now. They also require no minimum investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This will be good news for a lot of customers.
My guess is that Fidelity will have a hard time competing with Vanguard to be the lowest-cost provider of mutual funds.
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to see Vanguard collapse Admiral and Investor shares because I can't get Admiral shares at Schwab. But, really, when we are down to looking at 1 or two bps differences, it really doesn't matter as much any more. Not that I wouldn't like to pick up the odd $100 bill if it was lying there.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Actually, I think Fido has quite a few (dozens) of index funds with lower costs than Vanguard. Probably not that competitive if you look at their whole fund universe, but they're obviously trying.
Oh, yes. My dough at Fido is in those funds (formerly the Spartan series). It's a bit like an item on sale at Target, it can be cheaper than the regular Walmart price.

It will be interesting to see Vanguard's response. I'm betting on a "Super Admiral" class with a negative ER (they pay you). And a black & white web site reachable only by dial-up modem. And, they come to your house and kick your dog.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Oh, yes. My dough at Fido is in those funds (formerly the Spartan series). It's a bit like an item on sale at Target, it can be cheaper than the regular Walmart price.

It will be interesting to see Vanguard's response. I'm betting on a "Super Admiral" class with a negative ER (they pay you). And a black & white web site reachable only by dial-up modem. And, they come to your house and kick your dog.
When they kick my dog, I'm gonna share my metals portfolio with them.
Lead.
12 gauge.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And a black & white web site reachable only by dial-up modem.
Make it 300 baud and text-only and I'm in! (Dying to use all that old gear gathering dust in the garage).

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does anybody know how well the Fidelity funds perform when compared to Vanguard?

Ok, I checked for one of the funds: US Total Market.

fund1-yr3-yr5-yr10-yr 
VTSAX17.62%17.07%13.44%12.08% 
FSTVX17.57%17.05%13.42%12.01% 

Looks like Vanguard is a winner.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #10

Whatever.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Fidelity has to compete. As hard as they can. July 2018 stats show Vanguard with $ 5.1T AUM and Fidelity with $ 2.45T AUM. HAlf as much.

Also, Fidelity claims on their website they actually have $6.9T but this is misleading as this includes "Assets under Administration" and not strictly AUM ( Assets under Mgmt.). This is why you have seen recently the zero fee funds from Fidelity and Schwab claiming they beat Vanguard's index fund fees by 1 basis point!

Gee Fido. Gee Schwab. Where you guys been the past 30 years??
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Whatever.

No doubt. I wanted to point out that you need to consider more than the fund’s ER. But at these %s it doesn’t matter. Just do whatever’s easiest.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
No doubt. I wanted to point out that you need to consider more than the fund’s ER. But at these %s it doesn’t matter. Just do whatever’s easiest.

Exactly. Best of both worlds is VG funds or ETF’s within a Fido account. All the perks of Fido’s superior service with the lower costs/marginally better performance of VG products.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
... Looks like Vanguard is a winner.
Really? Looks to me like any actual difference is statistically and economically insignificant.

IMO this story is not over. All this price cutting and consolidation (primarily of stock pickers) has to play itself out before we will really know what we will be paying for various funds and services. The good news is that it will be less, probably much less, but this won't be the first price war where the warriors overshoot and have to raise prices somewhere in order to generate stockholder return or just to stay in business. As has been mentioned, VG is unique in not looking for stockholder return but if their actual costs are enough higher than, say, Fido's then Fido might end up the price winner. I'm expecting this opera to run for another couple of years before we see the denouement.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
...Best of both worlds is VG funds or ETF’s within a Fido account. All the perks of Fido’s superior service with the lower costs/marginally better performance of VG products.
+1

I've been saying this for years, although Fidelity's recent ER cutting might change things at some point. Our portfolio is all ETFs, about half Vanguard and half iShares, all housed at Fidelity. One note: VG mutual funds at Fidelity is probably not advisable because IIRC there is a commission of $49.95 per trade on non-Fidelity mutual funds. Most iShares ETFs trade free. I pay $4.95 to trade VG ETFs, but I only make 2-3 trades per year on average, so it's of no real consequence.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+1

I've been saying this for years, although Fidelity's recent ER cutting might change things at some point. Our portfolio is all ETFs, about half Vanguard and half iShares, all housed at Fidelity. One note: VG mutual funds at Fidelity is probably not advisable because IIRC there is a commission of $49.95 per trade on non-Fidelity mutual funds. Most iShares ETFs trade free. I pay $4.95 to trade VG ETFs, but I only make 2-3 trades per year on average, so it's of no real consequence.

Agreed. I don’t do any VG mutual funds, only ETF’s.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. Best of both worlds is VG funds or ETF’s within a Fido account. All the perks of Fido’s superior service with the lower costs/marginally better performance of VG products.
High transaction fees messes that up.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
High transaction fees messes that up.

Huh? What transaction fees? I pay either nothing or $4.95/trade depending on what I’m trading. Transaction costs are a very small rounding error.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Huh? What transaction fees? I pay either nothing or $4.95/trade depending on what I’m trading. Transaction costs are a very small rounding error.
Vanguard funds have high transaction fees at Fido.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Vanguard funds have high transaction fees at Fido.
+1

It's a ripoff. There was valid a reason for it in 1993. Those physical packages were replaced with reusable bits long ago.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote