Join Early Retirement Today

Figuring out how to do this
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Figuring out how to do this

Hi everybody. I have recently been filling out an excel sheet to try to project estimated future account balances. It might not really be useful since I am projecting 20 years into the future but I like to be reassured and also show my wife we will be able to stop working much sooner than what the people on the news tell us.

I want to make sure I am doing this properly. For my IRA I took the balance on 8/1/17 of $8414.43. I have no earnings tied to that income until 8/1/2018 when I add another $5500 contribution and $974.01 which is 7% of the total (13914.43). This makes my estimated balance on 8/1/18 14888.44. Is this the way to calculate this? I'm hoping I explained that clearly. I'm at work so I cant attach a copy of the spreadsheet. I'm not great with excel and I didn't even really know how to do formulas until Tuesday.

Should I assume a 7% average earning every year? I have seen most places say that is the average long term earning. Should I calculate the earning before or after the contribution is made? Would I need to reduce that amount to factor in fees on my accounts (.14%-.4%)? I make contributions bi-weekly from paychecks and monthly from my checking account so my spreadsheet estimating these things annually isn't going to be spot on anyway. I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

In 15 years I changed the earning from 7% to 4% under the assumption we will by trying to play it safe at that point. Does that seem like a good number to pick or should it be lower? Should I reduce the amount sooner than year 15 out of 20?

I plan to update this august 1st of every year. Even though this will probably not be accurate at all, I can see that after I am 59.5 we should be set. I definitely have some work to do in a regular investment account to support us until we are 59.5. My wife qualifies for a reduced pension type plan with insurance when she is 50. She has no plans to work even 1 day past that point and I am completely on board with that. I will be 51 when that happens so we will need to put away some serious money to support us for 8.5 years with 5 of those years still including a mortgage payment.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Donny68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If that $5,500 is added to the IRA on 8/1/2017 then your calculation makes sense... however, if you make contributions over the year then the $974.01 is too high and there would be a future compounding effect. Also, where is the $5,500 coming from because if from a brokerage account then there may be a corresponding opposite impact.

Have you considered trying out Quicken Lifetime Planner? It is a very intuitive retirement planner included in Quicken Deluxe and higher and allows one to easily develop a reasonably robust retirement plan and look at how certain changes in assumptions change your retirement asset balances.

I used it for many years and also defined all my accounts to Quicken so I could monitor my progress and see how my plan was progressing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny68 View Post
Hi everybody. I have recently been filling out an excel sheet to try to project estimated future account balances. It might not really be useful since I am projecting 20 years into the future but I like to be reassured and also show my wife we will be able to stop working much sooner than what the people on the news tell us.
Should I assume a 7% average earning every year? I have seen most places say that is the average long term earning. Should I calculate the earning before or after the contribution is made? Would I need to reduce that amount to factor in fees on my accounts (.14%-.4%)?

In 15 years I changed the earning from 7% to 4% under the assumption we will by trying to play it safe at that point. Does that seem like a good number to pick or should it be lower? Should I reduce the amount sooner than year 15 out of 20?

Thanks for any help that can be offered!
I can not help with the whole spreadsheet stuff. But the 7 % & 4 % assumption is not workable. I just posted on this in another thread, I thought returns were going to be 16 % forever in the 90's. we hit 10 years of 0 % for the last decade. Just keep plugging away with saving, when you get closer to your 20 year time horizon you will know what you have
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'll have to check out Quicken. I figured what I was doing was a little off. thanks
Donny68 is offline   Reply With Quote