Join Early Retirement Today

Filing taxes for estate: 1041? K-1?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Filing taxes for estate: 1041? K-1?

My mother in law died 3 years ago. She was in her late 70's. My sister in law is the POA. We were contacted by a former employer that she had a small pension $5500 and they sent my SIL a check minus 20% federal taxes.

My SIL cashed the check and gave half the money to my wife.

Now my SIL has a 1099-R saying the $5500 was a normal distribution.

I'm not sure how to file this. Seems like I should use a 1041 and file for the estate. However, schedule G to figure out the tax seems high: (15% for the first $2450 and 25% after that). We also have to file state taxes, which they witheld nothing..

Can my SIL make out a K-1 and my wife and I file half on our taxes and my SIL files half on her taxes?

Any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Is the 1099-R issued to your SIL as the payee? What payee ID number was used? If so, there is no need to use a 1041. It should be reported on her 1040 return. The easiest way would be for her to report the full amount and you reimburse her for half the additional taxes she incurred. She would claim the withholding as a credit on her tax. Quite likely she owes you money because the withholding may exceed the actual increased tax liability.
Bruce

Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

No, it's made out to "the estate of Jane Doe"
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the payee on a 1099 is wrong you can give the IRS the correct info via the nominee process described at this link.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...MMIES2_CONTENT
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halv45 View Post

Can my SIL make out a K-1 and my wife and I file half on our taxes and my SIL files half on her taxes?
Might depend on what the estate documents allow..........if they allow the executor to distribute to the beneficiaries or keep in the estate, it can be beneficial to do either depending on the conditions. If the amounts are small and the small estate tax brackets don't kill you, that could be better than distributing if the beneficiaries have a lot of other income. If the amounts are large enough that the estate tax brackets escalate higher than the beneficiaries' tax brackets, then it can be beneficial to distribute.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Don't forget that filing a 1041 gets you a $600 exemption, so you are down to 4900. The the tax rate schedule says 15% to 2450 , and 25% to 5700. This assumes an estate was actually opened and a tax number obtained. Did earlier 1041 s have to be filed. After 3 years its likley the estate is otherwise closed.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ok, so I'm learning a lot reading and from you guys/gals.

There was no tax ID created.

She had maybe 100k total with her home, retirement accounts etc. and that was all distributed well over 2 years ago.

I'm just thinking there has to be some way to report this on either one or both of our 1040's.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by halv45 View Post
I'm just thinking there has to be some way to report this on either one or both of our 1040's.
Yes, there is, by using the procedure that GrayHare outlined above. There is no need to get into applying for a Tax ID for the estate and filing a 1041.
Bruce