Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
Administrator

DW is organizing our move to Texas and the last couple of moves have been very stressful as the companies really didn't want to know as we have so little stuff (it is an apartment to apartment move of 300 miles).

However, this time they seem to be all over themselves to get our business and she says it is quite a different experience altogether. We should be able to place an order by Friday, and we'll be moving the very next day after I leave

I also handed in my remote access token yesterday so there is no option of logging in over the internet to assist from home.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW is organizing our move to Texas and the last couple of moves have been very stressful as the companies really didn't want to know as we have so little stuff (it is an apartment to apartment move of 300 miles).

However, this time they seem to be all over themselves to get our business and she says it is quite a different experience altogether. We should be able to place an order by Friday, and we'll be moving the very next day after I leave

I also handed in my remote access token yesterday so there is no option of logging in over the internet to assist from home.
That is great! No more logging in at home (ever! ) is most definitely a big milestone.

Glad to hear that your move is going so smoothly thus far. It is great that you don't have to sell a house before you move.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad to hear that your move is going so smoothly thus far. It is great that you don't have to sell a house before you move.
All part of the "Grand Plan"
We wanted to hit the ground running as soon as the big day came (as in running as fast as we could from our places of work).
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All part of the "Grand Plan"
We wanted to hit the ground running as soon as the big day came (as in running as fast as we could from our places of work).
That was really a smart thing to do. That gives you the freedom to go where you want, and to do what you want to do, right away. I am envious!

It looks like Frank and I may not be able to move in 2010 after all, because of selling these #$%()&) houses. Real estate just isn't moving. Things look even more bleak because his elderly next door neighbor just put up a "For Sale" sign and his asking price is low.

Luckily, staying here for a while isn't a big problem for us. We are absolutely fine right where we are for the time being (assuming no "Katrina II" events). So, we will stay, for now.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That was really a smart thing to do. That gives you the freedom to go where you want, and to do what you want to do, right away. I am envious!

It looks like Frank and I may not be able to move in 2010 after all, because of selling these #$%()&) houses. Real estate just isn't moving. Things look even more bleak because his elderly next door neighbor just put up a "For Sale" sign and his asking price is low.

Luckily, staying here for a while isn't a big problem for us. We are absolutely fine right where we are for the time being (assuming no "Katrina II" events). So, we will stay, for now.

It took us a long time to sell our house a few years back so I'm glad we are done with that, but you'll be fine I'm sure, just don't let it worry you, and go with the flow. You are retired now and there are much worse places to be stuck than in New Orleans (assuming Hurricanes don't cause a problem).
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is probably my all time favorite - I love short, stupid jokes.

Recently I found a photo of my Great Grandfather after the medal ceremony in 1919 when he received his Miltary Medal for bravery plus the officer's letter describing the event. That is all true and when I was discussing it with my brother and 2 sisters over Christmas one of them said "Didn't he get carried out of the trenches after a mustard gas attack as well?". I replied, "yes, he definitely was a seasoned veteran"
Bah doom ching!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations, Alan. You certainly will be hitting the ground running after your retirement. It is so nice that you will be able to be close to your children. Enjoy!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Congratulations, Alan. You certainly will be hitting the ground running after your retirement. It is so nice that you will be able to be close to your children. Enjoy!
DW will be booking the movers today

Friday today and only a 4 hour day (I work 4 x 9's and a 4). I turned off the alarm and went to bed late (10pm) but I slept in only 30 minutes and got up at 5:20. I feel like when I was a kid counting down the days to Christmas. I've heard others talk about it on this forum, but never really expected I'd have those very same feelings - strange.

This afternoon we are going to visit some very good friends (retired some 5 years now) who have a beautiful house on the river and do a "sleep over" to avoid driving in dark icy conditions and allow me to have a drink (DW doesn't drive at night these days).

We already have 2 more farewell dinners lined up with friends next weekend so the celebrations are starting
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #29
Administrator

Hey, I just got a raise. $364/mo effective Jan 1st. No bonuses again this year though, but a raise is a raise and since I'll be paid for 2 months this year that is $728 unexpected dollars !!!

Yesterday I also received another unexpected $232. We had chosen the lowest removal company bid for our move to Texas and when I gave the CC authorization I added in the $232 insurance, but it turns out that was for info only, it was already included in the total price.

Meanwhile w*rk is pretty well non-existent and it's hard to not feel guilty at doing next to nothing every day.

We have now booked the first of our vacations this year - a month in Salida Colorado staying in this house for $2,100 / mo.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, I just got a raise. $364/mo effective Jan 1st. No bonuses again this year though, but a raise is a raise and since I'll be paid for 2 months this year that is $728 unexpected dollars !!!

We have now booked the first of our vacations this year - a month in Salida Colorado staying in this house for $2,100 / mo.
A raise? And your leaving? Might be time to rethink things. Looks like your rental house has an extra bedroom. Just sayin'.....some of us has some free time on our hands..........
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
A raise? And your leaving? Might be time to rethink things. Looks like your rental house has an extra bedroom. Just sayin'.....some of us has some free time on our hands..........
As it happens DD and her husband are coming to stay for a few days, followed by DS.

We've done this in the past - renting a place through VRBO.com and inviting other family members to join us and it works very well. DD came to send a week in Quebec City with us a few years back, and in 2008 DW's brother and his wife came from England to join us for a week in a place in France we'd booked.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yesterday I also received another unexpected $232. We had chosen the lowest removal company bid for our move to Texas and when I gave the CC authorization I added in the $232 insurance, but it turns out that was for info only, it was already included in the total price.

Meanwhile w*rk is pretty well non-existent and it's hard to not feel guilty at doing next to nothing every day.

How terrific to get an unexpected raise! That should help bridge the gap until your first pension check arrives (not that I think you have any need to worry). Have fun in Colorado.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #33

The house looks and sounds really nice. That is great that you are there for a whole month!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
20 days to go as I write this post, 15 actually days in work. I am taking vacation ahead of the official date and I know it costs me money etc, but I decided enough is enough. The last date was planned to be Jan 14th but with both my father and my MIL in England dying in October and December, not only could I not roll over vacation to 2010, I actually had to "borrow" some from this year, so Jan 26th will be my last day.

HR have still not calculated my pension or called me in to sign anything so there is still some stress from that, but everyone has known for months that I am leaving so the work transition has been underway for some time.

I did a handover of my responsibilities to other managers in early December (there is still a hiring freeze in place so no direct replacement) and the few remaining active projects on my plate I'm handing over this week and next.

I get on very well with the company management and all my co-workers so everything is hunky dory in the workplace, and envy is the main sentiment.

We have given notice to vacate our apartment end of January as we plan on moving back to Texas to be close to our 2 kids. We have an apartment already that we'll be moving to. DW's last day was in December so she is organizing movers. Yesterday she also booked the first of 3 extended holidays we are planning this year - renting a house in Salida, Colorado for a month in April / May.

I've "closed the books" on our finances for 2009 and know the figure that we'll start our withdrawals from, and have re-directed divends in our after tax accounts to our bank account. I have a budget set up with plenty of fat and until I know what my pension is I don't know what the initial SWR will be. (I won't let it exceed 3% and it will have to cover inflation in future years on the initial withdrawal plus inflation on the pension which is non-COLA).
happy for you, Alan. Since this is ER forum, do u mind sharing your age and how long you have been a member here??

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
happy for you, Alan. Since this is ER forum, do u mind sharing your age and how long you have been a member here??

enuff
I joined the forum in July 2005 and have learned plenty from the members here. I will be 55 on Feb 10th, DW is 9 months younger. You can read a lot more about me in the About Me section in my Profile document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
The house looks and sounds really nice. That is great that you are there for a whole month!
Our plan for the first few years of ER is to live in various places for a few weeks/months at a time, and get there by driving (if in this country) as we have never driven any substantial distance in the USA.

To that we end we have already downsized to an apartment and will be moving close to our son who will keep an eye on it while we were are gone (in return he gets to enjoy cheap vacations )
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #36

Hey Alan, I read that you have your kids in Texas, but are you not in the end returning to England?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Hey Alan, I read that you have your kids in Texas, but are you not in the end returning to England?
We love living here - and having just froze my butt off in ice and snow over Christmas in England reminds me why I like living in the USA "sun belt". We do plan to spend more time over there. (having said that we already spent 7 weeks over there in 2009 ).

This year we have a 6 week stay planned (in the summer) and next year a 6 month stay (also in the summer). During the 6 month stay we'll have the kids visit plus other friends from the US, and other family members in the UK say they want to visit as the place we'll be staying is very pretty.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... everything is hunky dory in the workplace, and envy is the main sentiment.
Congratulation on your retirement! It's very exciting! I'll have to add to that envy thingie
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #39
Administrator

Another small goal accomplished - we sold one of our 2 cars today. Apart from $6,700 extra into the bank, it felt good to call up and cancel the car insurance

Today was only a 4 hr day so I decided to have a lie-in, but work up at 4 and ended up in at work at 5:30. Still, it meant that I was home before 10:30

HR promised to have the pension options available sometime next week - I still need to see what the amount is and what the options are for 100% survivor, 50/50 & 25/75.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

How exciting, Alan! That car will be one less thing between you and your retirement plans now that it is sold.

Glad to hear they are giving you a pension estimate before you retire. If HR people were more human they would provide it a long time beforehand.

By the way, a 4-hour day hardly counts.... You are so close I'll bet you can almost taste the freedom.