Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For you Alan. A little song by some British guy...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Wow Alan, the days sure are flying by. Before you know it your first three months of retirement will have flown by.
And they will continue to fly by fast. March 31st marks the 3rd anniversary of my retirement. Seems like yesterday I was a working grunt.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Me too! I also love the accent.

btw, Alan I hope HR doesn't throw a wobbler....
Here are some voice clips from interviews where I grew up in Seaham, Co. Durham. I still sound a fair bit like these folks

BBC - Voices - The Voices Recordings - Dialect society
Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
For you Alan. A little song by some British guy...
Thanks - that echo's my feelings perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
And they will continue to fly by fast. March 31st marks the 3rd anniversary of my retirement. Seems like yesterday I was a working grunt.
3 years already - congratulations !!

Tomorrow is only a 4 hr day
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be gone when your first day of freedom arrives, so enjoy. Congratulations in advance. You have certainly earned it. School's out forever!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I will be gone when your first day of freedom arrives, so enjoy. Congratulations in advance. You have certainly earned it. School's out forever!
Thanks - much appreciated. 1 hour left today, 16 hours to go next week!!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #67

Last day tomorrow, or at least half day. I worked 10 hours today in order to flex a couple Tuesday - I woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep so was in work by 5:20 . I'll start at 6 on Tuesday and be out of there by noon.

I actually did an hour or so of real work today. Rest of the time was exchanging e-mail with friends overseas etc. I will definitely keep in touch and visit some of them in years to come - always nice to have the locals for advice when visiting foreign countries.

Rest of the day was visiting with folks at work, and that's all I'll be doing tomorrow. I feel really strange and nervous - even took my bp twice on the machine in the cafeteria and it was very high at 150/90 and 140/85 May also have something to do with the fact that the movers are coming on Wednesday - I'll be so pleased once the move back to Texas is done.

And HR still haven't come up with pension options
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #68
Administrator

Just retiring by itself is a lot to deal with. It is such a HUGE adventure, especially the first few days. So is the move, and I am sure you will be pleased once these milestones are behind you.

I got my pension direct deposited January 4th, but I still haven't received anything from OPM telling me if this is an interim estimate or the final amount, what the deductions are, and so on. I think HR people delight in keeping us in the dark for as long as possible. I will probably call them this week.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Ok...that's IT! Tell 'em bbbamI is comin' and she's bringin' a full can of "Woop A$$"

Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just retiring by itself is a lot to deal with. It is such a HUGE adventure, especially the first few days. So is the move, and I am sure you will be pleased once these milestones are behind you.
thanks - I enjoyed reading your posts during your final few days and following days into ER, but reading and experiencing is more different than I imagined. After so many years planning and waiting for the day I didn't expect to be stressed like this - very, very odd and so not in character to how I normally am.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok...that's IT! Tell 'em bbbamI is comin' and she's bringin' a full can of "Woop A$$"

I may just call on that service
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #72

Quote:
I feel really strange and nervous - even took my bp twice on the machine in the cafeteria and it was very high at 150/90 and 140/85 May also have something to do with the fact that the movers are coming on Wednesday - I'll be so pleased once the move back to Texas is done.

Time for some deep breaths there!!! Seriously, maybe put some meditation or yoga on your list of things to do? That would probably help the nerves and bring the BP down some. This is such a huge deal...I think maybe you need some reflection time.

You've worked so hard for this, planned for it, and wished for it - it's HERE! Relax and enjoy, literally, the fruits of your labor!

And yes, you will feel soooooo much better after you are in your new place - take it from someone who just moved 9 days ago!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Last day tomorrow
I'll be so pleased once the move back to Texas is done.

Just one more day, man that's great. I know you are pumped but take it easy on the pumper now.
Looks like you have the same HR department I do.
I even ended up having to go down to City Hall the day after my last working day to sign more papers that I wasn't informed about until the last minute.
You may want to be sure you have all paper work completed before leaving the State. I know you will not be interested in traveling back for any autographs.
Can't believe you planned a move at the same time as ER.
I think I would have taken a week or so break between the two.
Steve
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #74

Last day at work and it is so weird. I woke up at 2am out of a dream/nightmare. I've always being able to remember my first day at school. First week in January, 1960, a few weeks before my 5th birthday - kids in England start full time school the semester in which they will reach 5 yrs old. We were still living in the 2 room place my parents had been in since they got married 7 years earlier. My brother was 15 months old and we both shared a bed in the same bedroom as our parents.
It was cold and I was huddled up in front of the coal fire trying to get warm. Mam brought me some breakfast and Dad was talking to me as he got ready to go out to work and I watched him heave on his heavy coat, pull on his flat cap, and put his bag over his shoulder. The bag will have contained a flask of tea and some sandwiches and stuff - the usually fare. Off he went to walk to the pit about a mile and a half away - the time was 7:15. At 7:30 Mam and I left and walked round the block to the bus station to catch the bus. It cost one old penny (1d) and the bus conductor was our neighbor who lived upstairs. I was all excited, I'd been waiting for this day for what seemed like a long, long time.
When we got to school I rushed off to play with the other kids. There were lots of play areas and I went to a large, recessed table filled with sand, and there was water where you could wet the sand to help make it easier to build stuff. I was having a great time and then I heard my mother call. I looked up and saw her wave, shout her good-byes then turn and leave. My stomach churned and my heart pounded in my throat, and then I woke up, reliving that memory.
I couldn't get back to sleep and ended up getting up at 4:20. I've been in work since 5:30. I have heartburn and can't understand why I feel so empty. I tell myself it is because I'm going through 3 of the big stress events in one's life. Loss of a loved one (my father), change of jobs (the BIG one), and moving house (tomorrow the movers come). I expect it will get better soon.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Time for some deep breaths there!!! Seriously, maybe put some meditation or yoga on your list of things to do? That would probably help the nerves and bring the BP down some. This is such a huge deal...I think maybe you need some reflection time.

You've worked so hard for this, planned for it, and wished for it - it's HERE! Relax and enjoy, literally, the fruits of your labor!

And yes, you will feel soooooo much better after you are in your new place - take it from someone who just moved 9 days ago!
Thanks SG - I hope you are settling into your home okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Just one more day, man that's great. I know you are pumped but take it easy on the pumper now.
Looks like you have the same HR department I do.
I even ended up having to go down to City Hall the day after my last working day to sign more papers that I wasn't informed about until the last minute.
You may want to be sure you have all paper work completed before leaving the State. I know you will not be interested in traveling back for any autographs.
Can't believe you planned a move at the same time as ER.
I think I would have taken a week or so break between the two.
Steve
Thanks Steve. Our apartment lease is up at the end of the month so the move had to be this week. However, I had planned to finish January 14th using vacation I was going to carry over. However, MIL died in October and my father in December so I had 2 uplanned trips to England and ended up having to borrow vacation time from this year which is why we are moving the day after my last day at work.

It certainly looks like I'll be having to drive back next month to sign paper work and get the pension sorted. They told me that it would be no problem getting everything done before I left, it just hasn't worked out quite so smoothly as I'd have liked, but what the heck.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your last couple of hours. I didn't have a final day 'per se' as I agreed to come in here and there to help out my replacement, so one day the calls just stopped. But I did have a designated retirement lunch cookout so I guess I went through something similar. I just didn't have a final 'this is it' day that brought on nervous feelings.

Hope all goes well with your move and don't forget to pm me the details of our CO vacation.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

The stress will soon be followed by that giddy last day of school feeling ! Enjoy ! You are really handling a lot right now but it will get better !
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #78

Quote:
Last day at work and it is so weird. I woke up at 2am out of a dream/nightmare.

I was having a great time and then I heard my mother call. I looked up and saw her wave, shout her good-byes then turn and leave. My stomach churned and my heart pounded in my throat, and then I woke up, reliving that memory.

I have heartburn and can't understand why I feel so empty. I tell myself it is because I'm going through 3 of the big stress events in one's life. Loss of a loved one (my father), change of jobs (the BIG one), and moving house (tomorrow the movers come). I expect it will get better soon.
I'm no dream expert, but I would interpret it as basically that moment in time represented you stepping away from the only security that you knew (your mother) - despite being excited about the adventure of school, it petrified you at the same time. Retiring appears to be the same type of change (stepping away from your job security, going on the the adventure of FIRE), and so those synapses in your brain are firing back to memories that are similar.

Yeah, you are under some big stress there buddy...even good stress is hard on the body and mind! I agree, it will get better soon, and then you will be sharing lots of FIRE stories that will make the rest of us young dreamers green with envy!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
I couldn't get back to sleep and ended up getting up at 4:20. I've been in work since 5:30. I have heartburn and can't understand why I feel so empty. I tell myself it is because I'm going through 3 of the big stress events in one's life. Loss of a loved one (my father), change of jobs (the BIG one), and moving house (tomorrow the movers come). I expect it will get better soon.
Yes, you are exactly right. You are going through so much at once and it takes time to adjust.

Retiring is a goal that you have looked forward to for a long time, though. I feel certain that once you have retired and have moved, you will realize that you did the right thing. You are just dealing with a lot of changes at the moment. It is perfectly normal to feel a little ambivalent on your last day. Even I felt a little shook up when I turned in my badge. Still, I wouldn't trade my retirement so far for anything.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Enjoy your last couple of hours. I didn't have a final day 'per se' as I agreed to come in here and there to help out my replacement, so one day the calls just stopped. But I did have a designated retirement lunch cookout so I guess I went through something similar. I just didn't have a final 'this is it' day that brought on nervous feelings.

Hope all goes well with your move and don't forget to pm me the details of our CO vacation.
We've just firmed up our dates for the Canada vacation as well. DW's family have now agreed on the dates and her father has said he wants to stay an extra week so DW is booking the house we are staying in on lake Huron and it comes with a motorboat which should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The stress will soon be followed by that giddy last day of school feeling ! Enjoy ! You are really handling a lot right now but it will get better !
One hour to go and I'm starting to feel a whole load better. I just got back from HR and the pension stuff is almost finalized - should have the packet mailed to me in the next couple of days but the figures look very nice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I'm no dream expert, but I would interpret it as basically that moment in time represented you stepping away from the only security that you knew (your mother) - despite being excited about the adventure of school, it petrified you at the same time. Retiring appears to be the same type of change (stepping away from your job security, going on the the adventure of FIRE), and so those synapses in your brain are firing back to memories that are similar.

Yeah, you are under some big stress there buddy...even good stress is hard on the body and mind! I agree, it will get better soon, and then you will be sharing lots of FIRE stories that will make the rest of us young dreamers green with envy!
That's about how I interpret the dream as well. It is just so unusual for me to wake up with a pounding heart that I just had to share it. (I decided not to wake DW and tell her about it, otherwise I may have had more than a pounding heart )

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, you are exactly right. You are going through so much at once and it takes time to adjust.

Retiring is a goal that you have looked forward to for a long time, though. I feel certain that once you have retired and have moved, you will realize that you did the right thing. You are just dealing with a lot of changes at the moment. It is perfectly normal to feel a little ambivalent on your last day. Even I felt a little shook up when I turned in my badge. Still, I wouldn't trade my retirement so far for anything.
Now that I'm moving onto the next stage I decided to update my Avatar to me when I was much older - the previous one was me throttling my sister at a family wedding.