Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,812
Alan, It's no wonder your blood pressure is up as you have so much going on in your life. You are closing the door on something that has been such a big part of your life. I know you are more than ready to do so, however it is a major adjustment.

Take time to breathe and rejoice in your achievement of FIRINg whilst you are your wife and able to enjoy it.
__________________

__________________

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Your new Avatar looks like a young Paul McCartney !
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Your new Avatar looks like a young Paul McCartney !
I thought something similar. Definitely that time in space.

I think you have already come up with this but: One of my friends that retired just before I did and moved, was able to handle the left over forms by mail. Instead of traveling back and forth. Hope you can work that out too.
I'm into my 4th or 5th week of retirement. I have to admit I have days when I wonder if I did the right thing. But a trick I have learned to use is just think about the worst parts of my old job and it immediately flashes past and I know I did the right thing.
Then my big retirement smile comes back quickly !!!
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Oh, Alan, if you find yourself bored in retirement, you could write your memoirs--I loved the story of your first day of school!

A dear friend and her husband moved to a new state the week her husband retired. I know that psychologically that is stress upon stress (as you noted), but for them it has worked out splendidly--they started new routines immediately without that sense of looking around the former house and thinking about how they'd be at work right then.

Best of luck!!!!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Last day at work and it is so weird.
Congratulations! Today is likely to be the strangest feeling day of your life (followed by tomorrow, when panic sets in...)

Deep breaths...
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,231
Alan,

A day filled with emotions. Some good, some bad. Trust that you will be fine and a few weeks from now you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Congratulations and best wishes for your retirement!
__________________
RockyMtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
We moved to Florida the day after my husband retired . We beat the moving van there so we spent a few nights in a hotel just relaxing . That was a great way to decompress . So when you get to Texas chill out for a few days or at least go out for dinner or order in .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
My guess is that Alan is a free man by this time.
Probably a little stressed but free.
He has so much going on I wonder if he'll have time to check-in with us?
Steve
PS. He's about my age.
I can't help but wonder if like me that hair in the avatar has turned a little different color and if he needs a beanie/skull cap to cover that spot in the back like I do?
One of my aunts told me over the weekend that my bare spot was a solar panel for my pacemaker
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Hang in there, Alan.
Congrats on your freedom.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: No. California
Posts: 1,600
Hope today was a good day and you are done with work. I guess you won't have much free time until the move is over, but enjoy your free time when life settles down.
__________________
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #91
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,113
Phew, time to do some posting. I left work and had lunch with DW at Noon then we did a bunch more packing. TVs, Computers, dismantled and chucked old computer desk. then we took a run out to Cox Comms to return the cable boxes, came home and took a walk to the coffee shop. Back home, did some packing then DW gave me permission to sit down. I've just had a small glimpse at what great work she has been doing all week.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Your new Avatar looks like a young Paul McCartney !
I may have had the McCartney "look" but missed out on everything else, although, like Paul, I can't read music. (saw him interviewed by Parkinson a few years back and he still hasn't bothered to learn how to read music - his grade teacher once wrote on his report card something along the lines that Paul needed to give up messing about with music and concentrate on educating himself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I thought something similar. Definitely that time in space.

I think you have already come up with this but: One of my friends that retired just before I did and moved, was able to handle the left over forms by mail. Instead of traveling back and forth. Hope you can work that out too.
I'm into my 4th or 5th week of retirement. I have to admit I have days when I wonder if I did the right thing. But a trick I have learned to use is just think about the worst parts of my old job and it immediately flashes past and I know I did the right thing.
Then my big retirement smile comes back quickly !!!
Steve
The HR lady said today they could handle things by mail She also showed me the figures that they are working on - consolidating 2 pensions into one - and it is much more than I expected if I was understanding it correctly If so, I certainly won't have ANY regrets about retiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh, Alan, if you find yourself bored in retirement, you could write your memoirs--I loved the story of your first day of school!

A dear friend and her husband moved to a new state the week her husband retired. I know that psychologically that is stress upon stress (as you noted), but for them it has worked out splendidly--they started new routines immediately without that sense of looking around the former house and thinking about how they'd be at work right then.

Best of luck!!!!
Well, thank you. Occasionally (very occasionally) I can string together a few coherent sentences that read quite well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Congratulations! Today is likely to be the strangest feeling day of your life (followed by tomorrow, when panic sets in...)

Deep breaths...
Still feeling very strange, and have a headache, so took some tablets. Thought about SG's suggestion to do some yoga but we've packed the yoga gear plus the DVD's. Just excuses really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We moved to Florida the day after my husband retired . We beat the moving van there so we spent a few nights in a hotel just relaxing . That was a great way to decompress . So when you get to Texas chill out for a few days or at least go out for dinner or order in .
Great idea, we may well do just that. In fact tomorrow, after the van picks up we are going out with some friends in the afternoon to eat, then spending a night in a hotel (Drury Inn Suites) that boasts free Happy Hour drinks and a hot breakfast. We'll take our time driving over next day and not be too bothered when the furniture arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
My guess is that Alan is a free man by this time.
Probably a little stressed but free.
He has so much going on I wonder if he'll have time to check-in with us?
Steve
PS. He's about my age.
I can't help but wonder if like me that hair in the avatar has turned a little different color and if he needs a beanie/skull cap to cover that spot in the back like I do?
One of my aunts told me over the weekend that my bare spot was a solar panel for my pacemaker
Let me assure you that there is no bald spot on my head - there is almost no hair at all. These days I look more like Patrick Stewart than Paul McCartney

I tell folks that my head is a solar panel for my virility I used one of the old jokes on a lady at work today. (she has become a very good friend as we've worked a lot together this last 2 years). There were several of us stood around the coffee pot and I said to her "What screws like a tiger and winks?" "I don't know" she asks. So, of course, I winked at her
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #92
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hang in there, Alan.
Congrats on your freedom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Hope today was a good day and you are done with work. I guess you won't have much free time until the move is over, but enjoy your free time when life settles down.
Thanks guys - today was actually pretty good. Lots of folks came around to my office to give very personal praise and say very nice things. It was all very humbling and made me feel even more wobbly inside

Without a doubt I will look back with pride on those folks that I mentored and helped be successful at work much more than any technical accomplishments I achieved.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Let me assure you that there is no bald spot on my head - there is almost no hair at all. These days I look more like Patrick Stewart than Paul McCartney

I tell folks that my head is a solar panel for my virility I used one of the old jokes on a lady at work today. (she has become a very good friend as we've worked a lot together this last 2 years). There were several of us stood around the coffee pot and I said to her "What screws like a tiger and winks?" "I don't know" she asks. So, of course, I winked at her
Well, I guess it was to late to be fired
You are tha nasty boy (janet jackson song)
I'll have to remember that one.
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
So, of course, I winked at her





Right back at ya......Arrrrrrr.....
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #95
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So, of course, I winked at her





Right back at ya......Arrrrrrr.....
You seem to have an infinite supply of cool pictures and smileys, and know where to find them. Brilliant!!
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
Alan, congrats on your retirement! Your new avatar puts me in mind of "Sir Lancelot" from the old comic strip. It is definitely youthful. Next Monday a good friend retires at my work place. She is moving back "home" to Alabama after almost 30 years with much excitement and trepidation. She wants to go beer guzzling at a bar by way of celebration after work. Not many of us think we are up to it.
__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Alan, congrats on your retirement! Your new avatar puts me in mind of "Sir Lancelot" from the old comic strip. It is definitely youthful. Next Monday a good friend retires at my work place. She is moving back "home" to Alabama after almost 30 years with much excitement and trepidation. She wants to go beer guzzling at a bar by way of celebration after work. Not many of us think we are up to it.
Since you are in Penn. (right?)
I think the beer of choice should be Yuengling !!!
The oldest brewery in the Nation.
One of my favorite bottled inexpensive beers (Black&Tan).
Of course the traditional lager on tap is good too.
I'm from and in Alabama.
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #98
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Alan, congrats on your retirement! Your new avatar puts me in mind of "Sir Lancelot" from the old comic strip. It is definitely youthful. Next Monday a good friend retires at my work place. She is moving back "home" to Alabama after almost 30 years with much excitement and trepidation. She wants to go beer guzzling at a bar by way of celebration after work. Not many of us think we are up to it.
Cheers These days I look more like the fattest knight at King Arthur's court - Sir Cumference.
He got that way by eating too much pi


Quote:
Not many of us think we are up to it.
In that case you may have to rethink your forum name
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Cheers These days I look more like the fattest knight at King Arthur's court - Sir Cumference.
He got that way by eating too much pi
It appears as though you are displaying the first symptoms of post retirement syndrome: uncontrollable giddiness.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Since you are in Penn. (right?)
I think the beer of choice should be Yuengling !!!
The oldest brewery in the Nation.
One of my favorite bottled inexpensive beers (Black&Tan).
Of course the traditional lager on tap is good too.
I'm from and in Alabama.
Steve
You are right, Steve, Yuengling brand is a very good beer! I have never had much of a palate for beer(after one bottle, starts to taste like soap suds to me) but I also like Penn Pilsner(Pennsylvania Brewing Co. in Pittsburgh) and even Rolling Rock(used to be in Latrobe, now in NJ?...I think). I didn't know that Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the nation. My friend is moving to Dothan and her wide coterie of friends are lamenting her loss already. We have insisted she get internet service immediately so that we can badger her on a daily basis.
__________________

__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Year Countdown royboy65 Young Dreamers 6 08-19-2009 11:59 PM
countdown Rustic23 Forum Admin 6 01-30-2009 01:50 PM
The countdown begins kumquat Young Dreamers 26 06-02-2007 10:23 AM
Inversion countdown brewer12345 FIRE and Money 84 04-07-2006 07:02 PM
16 year countdown... onecaribou Young Dreamers 6 09-27-2005 04:56 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.