Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

I grew up in Pa. so Yuengling brings back many memories as does rolling rock .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It appears as though you are displaying the first symptoms of post retirement syndrome: uncontrollable giddiness.
I do believe that you are correct.

We just back in from eating at a Lebanese restaurant and now we are starting on a bottle of wine. Not a good cure for uncontrollable giddiness I know, but who cares?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I grew up in Pa. so Yuengling brings back many memories as does rolling rock .
"33"

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/rolling.asp
Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

We just back in from eating at a Lebanese restaurant and now we are starting on a bottle of wine. Not a good cure for uncontrollable giddiness I know, but who cares?
Oh yeah...lord knows we all can use a case of giddyism....
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alan, I've been reading your posts and have enjoyed them all. I wanted to join in and congratulate you on your retirement too. I also work for megacorp (not same as yours) live in the same area and have similar situation for retirement.
Good luck in all that you do. Keep being giddy, drinking that wine, and you'll be just fine. Congratulations again.....
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Excellent idea! This is a day to celebrate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! Enjoy this giddy time in your life
TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
You are right, Steve, Yuengling brand is a very good beer! I have never had much of a palate for beer(after one bottle, starts to taste like soap suds to me) but I also like Penn Pilsner(Pennsylvania Brewing Co. in Pittsburgh) and even Rolling Rock(used to be in Latrobe, now in NJ?...I think). I didn't know that Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the nation. My friend is moving to Dothan and her wide coterie of friends are lamenting her loss already. We have insisted she get internet service immediately so that we can badger her on a daily basis.
We go through Dothan a few times a year on our way to the coast/beach. Wish I lived that close to the ocean, its not right on it (the beach) but close enough to me.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #109
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Alan, I've been reading your posts and have enjoyed them all. I wanted to join in and congratulate you on your retirement too. I also work for megacorp (not same as yours) live in the same area and have similar situation for retirement.
Good luck in all that you do. Keep being giddy, drinking that wine, and you'll be just fine. Congratulations again.....
Thanks and I wish you all the best of luck in your ER plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Excellent idea! This is a day to celebrate.
Moving Day !!!

Just got a few minutes sitting with a cuppa coffee before the movers arrive (I hope). Then we have the place to clean and get ready for its final inspection in the morning. This afternoon we're off to visit with some friends and then it's a hotel overnight before we're " goin' to Texas".

I'm feeling much more relaxed today, went to bed at 9pm last night and woke up at 6 with an alarm clock going off. It took us a minute to realize it must be DW's alarm clock. She had packed it last night and didn't realize that not only does it have battery back-up, it maintains time without keeping the display on and also defaults to the beeper instead of the radio when on battery

We had to run around boxes listening to find which one it was in and then cut open the tape to get to it and cancel the alarm
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #110

Quote:
Moving Day !!!
Congratulations on your first full day of NO WORK, ever again!!!!!

Quote:
I'm feeling much more relaxed today, went to bed at 9pm last night and woke up at 6 with an alarm clock going off. It took us a minute to realize it must be DW's alarm clock. She had packed it last night and didn't realize that not only does it have battery back-up, it maintains time without keeping the display on and also defaults to the beeper instead of the radio when on battery

We had to run around boxes listening to find which one it was in and then cut open the tape to get to it and cancel the alarm
Oh that's a riot. DH also packed one of our clocks that beeps on the hour, every hour, and somehow that box ended up in our bedroom. It took us a while to find it, since it beeped only once an hour. We then proceeded to make jokes about how it was like the "annoy-a-nator".

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Moving Day !!!
How exciting!! Soon you will be living closer to your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Just got a few minutes sitting with a cuppa coffee before the movers arrive (I hope). Then we have the place to clean and get ready for its final inspection in the morning. This afternoon we're off to visit with some friends and then it's a hotel overnight before we're " goin' to Texas".
Glad you are taking this at a relaxed pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan

That is absolutely hilarious!! Oh well. You have many more mornings to enjoy without awakening to the sound of an alarm clock. I have set mine only once since I retired, and that was because Frank and I were planning an early day trip in the local area.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm...once you move to TX, you'll learn to do what I would have done in this situation. Instead of cutting the box open, just shoot it with your shotgun.....
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

BbbamI's post reminded me of a moving hint: When you get to TX, have the moving guys place your boxes on the ground outside the entrance to your new residence. The fire ants will quickly eat the cardboard leaving you unpacked in no time at all - and without having to figure out what to do with all the empty boxes.

Don't forget to wear your gloves...
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #114

Congratulations on your retirement! I always enjoy your posts also.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #115
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...once you move to TX, you'll learn to do what I would have done in this situation. Instead of cutting the box open, just shoot it with your shotgun.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BbbamI's post reminded me of a moving hint: When you get to TX, have the moving guys place your boxes on the ground outside the entrance to your new residence. The fire ants will quickly eat the cardboard leaving you unpacked in no time at all - and without having to figure out what to do with all the empty boxes.

Don't forget to wear your gloves...
I can always count on good, solid advice from this forum - thanks guys I'll be sure to follow your guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Congratulations on your retirement! I always enjoy your posts also.
Thank you. the movers have been and gone, we spent the afternoon with friends, and now we are in our hotel. We are sitting with our glasses of wine, eating chocolate and starting to relax. When our friends heard we were going to a hotel they tried to persuade us to stay overnight with them, but we were ready to be doing what we are doing, and it feels good

Next is to drive over to Texas in the morning, and the driver tells us that he'll be delivering the furniture on Sunday, which suits us just fine.

DW checked her e-mail earlier today and got one from her ex-colleague (and good friend) at work. A spreadsheet was attached with an appeal for help to find out what is wrong. (DW RE'ed Dec 12). She replied - no time, moving, will look at it in a couple of days - maybe

She says there is likely little she can do as it pulls data from a live database but doesn't mind looking. A week ago they had tried to persuade her to continue on contract and they'd provide her with a laptop and remote access. She told them "NO".
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Hoping you feel Wonderful Tonight

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #117
Administrator

thanks purron - that is one of my favorite songs and I've not seen that version before.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can always count on good, solid advice from this forum - thanks guys I'll be sure to follow your guidance
Don't forget, in TX you have to have a little 'hitch in your get-along' or 'stagger in your swagger'.....

Y'all have a good night!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #119
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Don't forget, in TX you have to have a little 'hitch in your get-along' or 'stagger in your swagger'.....

Y'all have a good night!
We moved from the UK to Houston in October 1987. My parents came to visit 6 months later and I went to meet them off the plane at Houston dressed in blue jeans, with an armadillo decorated belt and big bright buckle, cowboy shirt and boots, red bandanna around the neck and big cowboy hat on my head. I sat around reading in the waiting area for ages and no one gave me even a second glance. When my Mam and Dad walked out and we all started talking, you should have seen the fraction of everyone around. Mam; "Eeee, there's wor bairn, gis a big kiss hinny!!", and then she grabs hold me in a big hug. Me: "Gan careful mon, yer ganna knock me bonnet off!! "

My accent is very similar to the first 3 guys speaking on this clip from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. The guy who finds the suitcase full of cash has a Birmingham accent, the others have accents like mine.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #120

Congratulations Alan glad to hear you're settling in.