Join Early Retirement Today

Final Countdown to ER
Old 01-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
Administrator

Final Countdown to ER

20 days to go as I write this post, 15 actually days in work. I am taking vacation ahead of the official date and I know it costs me money etc, but I decided enough is enough. The last date was planned to be Jan 14th but with both my father and my MIL in England dying in October and December, not only could I not roll over vacation to 2010, I actually had to "borrow" some from this year, so Jan 26th will be my last day.

HR have still not calculated my pension or called me in to sign anything so there is still some stress from that, but everyone has known for months that I am leaving so the work transition has been underway for some time.

I did a handover of my responsibilities to other managers in early December (there is still a hiring freeze in place so no direct replacement) and the few remaining active projects on my plate I'm handing over this week and next.

I get on very well with the company management and all my co-workers so everything is hunky dory in the workplace, and envy is the main sentiment.

We have given notice to vacate our apartment end of January as we plan on moving back to Texas to be close to our 2 kids. We have an apartment already that we'll be moving to. DW's last day was in December so she is organizing movers. Yesterday she also booked the first of 3 extended holidays we are planning this year - renting a house in Salida, Colorado for a month in April / May.

I've "closed the books" on our finances for 2009 and know the figure that we'll start our withdrawals from, and have re-directed divends in our after tax accounts to our bank account. I have a budget set up with plenty of fat and until I know what my pension is I don't know what the initial SWR will be. (I won't let it exceed 3% and it will have to cover inflation in future years on the initial withdrawal plus inflation on the pension which is non-COLA).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even though your the SOB that reminded me of my New Year's Wed weigh-in pledge, I still want to congratulate you on your retirement. Sounds like you had a good plan that has worked well. The CO trip will be a good way to start it off. Now, let me see if I can find that fat thread.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Even though your the SOB that reminded me of my New Year's Wed weigh-in pledge, I still want to congratulate you on your retirement. Sounds like you had a good plan that has worked well. The CO trip will be a good way to start it off. Now, let me see if I can find that fat thread.
Always keen to be helpful - here is the link to Wednesday Weigh Ins
Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Wooohoooo...the end is in sight.

These remaining days are going to be very delicious. Zero calories!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its a new day for you, friend! Enjoy!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Always keen to be helpful - here is the link to Wednesday Weigh Ins
Just when I was going to say I've been unable to find that thread for months. nm, ha ha, today is Tuesday, oops, just had a retiree moment. That's right, yesterday was free day at the museum, therefore today is Wednesday, movie day because it's winter and too cold for free day at the zoo. Once you are safely retired, none of us will know which day to weigh in. Congratulations! Sounds like it will be a pleasant transition, even at w*rk.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #8

Congratulations! Enjoy your last days at work.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

Congratulation Alan!

Once I got inside a week I put this countdown timer on my computer at work (minimized in the corner) and so enjoyed watching the minutes roll by.

Countdown Timer
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #10

Congratulations Alan. It has been a rough few months for you guys, so hopefully once you have done your final day in the office you and your wife can take some time together to remember the good times and enjoy each others company.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
20 days to go as I write this post, 15 actually days in work. I am taking vacation ahead of the official date and I know it costs me money etc, but I decided enough is enough. The last date was planned to be Jan 14th but with both my father and my MIL in England dying in October and December, not only could I not roll over vacation to 2010, I actually had to "borrow" some from this year, so Jan 26th will be my last day.

HR have still not calculated my pension or called me in to sign anything so there is still some stress from that, but everyone has known for months that I am leaving so the work transition has been underway for some time.

I did a handover of my responsibilities to other managers in early December (there is still a hiring freeze in place so no direct replacement) and the few remaining active projects on my plate I'm handing over this week and next.

I get on very well with the company management and all my co-workers so everything is hunky dory in the workplace, and envy is the main sentiment.

We have given notice to vacate our apartment end of January as we plan on moving back to Texas to be close to our 2 kids. We have an apartment already that we'll be moving to. DW's last day was in December so she is organizing movers. Yesterday she also booked the first of 3 extended holidays we are planning this year - renting a house in Salida, Colorado for a month in April / May.

I've "closed the books" on our finances for 2009 and know the figure that we'll start our withdrawals from, and have re-directed divends in our after tax accounts to our bank account. I have a budget set up with plenty of fat and until I know what my pension is I don't know what the initial SWR will be. (I won't let it exceed 3% and it will have to cover inflation in future years on the initial withdrawal plus inflation on the pension which is non-COLA).
WOO-HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
gone traveling

Congratulations! Your best days lie ahead.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Administrator

A big thanks to everyone on the forum for the support this last few years.

Rocky,

Thanks for the countdown timer, but I'm afraid our "diskless workstations" are locked down tighter than a crab's a$$ so can't display it. We don't even have flash or audio available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Congratulation Alan!

Once I got inside a week I put this countdown timer on my computer at work (minimized in the corner) and so enjoyed watching the minutes roll by.

Countdown Timer
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy your last days at work.
Or not. With so little time left to put in it really doesn't matter.

I am happy for you and look forward to your post retirement posts.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy your new life.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Alan...Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Now, you still have to visit the forum every once in a while....I need and love your jokes...especially, here it comes.........arrrrrr...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #17

Congratulations! Alan
Time will fly by this month for you, with so much to think about & do.
Like you, I never got an estimate on my pension amount until the day I signed the papers. I had a good idea what it would be from my own "guess ta mate" though .
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #18

Congratulations, Alan!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #19

Wow! I can only imagine how dang excited you are!!! I am soooo happy for you and DW. Congratulations Alan. I look forward to counting down the days with you!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Alan...Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Now, you still have to visit the forum every once in a while....I need and love your jokes...especially, here it comes.........arrrrrr...
That is probably my all time favorite - I love short, stupid jokes.

Recently I found a photo of my Great Grandfather after the medal ceremony in 1919 when he received his Miltary Medal for bravery plus the officer's letter describing the event. That is all true and when I was discussing it with my brother and 2 sisters over Christmas one of them said "Didn't he get carried out of the trenches after a mustard gas attack as well?". I replied, "yes, he definitely was a seasoned veteran"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Congratulations! Alan
Time will fly by this month for you, with so much to think about & do.
Like you, I never got an estimate on my pension amount until the day I signed the papers. I had a good idea what it would be from my own "guess ta mate" though .
Steve
Thanks Steve, I have a colleague who also retires end of the month and he is in the same position, so I'm not too worried really.