Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
She is just as frugal, if not more, than I am. This has helped us out immensely. I couldn't imagine going through this journey and having a spouse who was a spendthrift. It would certainly slow down the accumulation.
This is one of the insights of the foundational book in my own journey, The Millionaire Next Door. Millionaires' spouses are often even more frugal than they are, which certainly helps accumulate wealth.

If you'd share, where do you think your own frugal nature comes from? Is it a result of childhood patterns or learned behavior? And how about your spouse?

I didn't have good frugal role models as a child and have learned it. My wife grew up poor and, though not extravagant, she is a spender. My observation is that people who grew up in an environment of unstable finances either lock it down as adults and never waste a dollar, or they tend to want to have and experience things that they felt deprived of growing up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's what DH told me - a thousand times more difficult!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OMC...
Having just finished The Intel Trinity book, I learned that Andy Grove's networth only reached $300M (compared to tens of billion that Robert Noyce and Gordon Moore had). And Andy Grove was smart and worked damn hard. And he had always been at a fairly high level at Intel before becoming CEO, then chairman.

Andy died recently at 79 despite his money. It remains to be seen that I will beat him there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
The eight digit club !
The OP is still young. He might make it for another digit, with a few OMY's.

But for people who already ER'ed like myself and who do not buy lottery tickets or sell illegal drugs, there's no way. It's OK. If I maintain my current health, it will be enough blessing for me.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
A billion? Talk about serious OMY.
LOL! One can dream.......
Old 04-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
This is one of the insights of the foundational book in my own journey, The Millionaire Next Door. Millionaires' spouses are often even more frugal than they are, which certainly helps accumulate wealth.

If you'd share, where do you think your own frugal nature comes from? Is it a result of childhood patterns or learned behavior? And how about your spouse?

I didn't have good frugal role models as a child and have learned it. My wife grew up poor and, though not extravagant, she is a spender. My observation is that people who grew up in an environment of unstable finances either lock it down as adults and never waste a dollar, or they tend to want to have and experience things that they felt deprived of growing up.
My frugality is somewhat of a unique situation. My parent's divorced when I was 1 so I grew up with my Mom and Step Dad. About once a month I spent the weekend with my Dad and Step Mom growing up. The house I grew up in was and is a financial disaster. My step dad makes a very healthy salary but they have no financial smarts at all. From them I learned what not to do. Now my Dad, who I only stayed with maybe 20-30 days a year, is a pretty financially stable and frugal guy. He never made a ton of money but I believe he was a good saver and was able to retire early because of a merger with his employer with whom he'd been with his entire career. He retired at 49.

So I think my frugality comes from both sets of parents. I learned what I didn't want to do from one set, and the other set I wouldn't say I learned from watching (because I wasn't there), more like I got the built in frugal genetics from them (my Dad).

That's my theory anyways.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very well done. Took me until 39. Doubled that in 1/3 the time.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
Thank you everyone! It is great to hear the encouragement. It's pretty unfortunate that one has to go through the journey without being able to tell anyone about it except for your wife. Feels great to be able to release it even if it is anonymously.

Hopefully the rule of thumb stays true and I'm able to hit the next million in 1/2 the time
It's a shame that Personal Finance is a taboo subject in our society. Prevents a lot of knowledge sharing.

Congrats!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Do you have at ER date in mind? $1M by 35 is an awesome foundation to build upon.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations.

You'll achieve the next million a lot faster than the first million.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #29

Congratulations and be sure to acknowledge that you are doing very well to have that accomplishment by 35. Given your discipline, I am sure you can reach the $10M amount and still be able to retire early.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
It's a shame that Personal Finance is a taboo subject in our society. Prevents a lot of knowledge sharing.

Congrats!!!
I think about this all the time. Finance is such a huge, life changing, part of life. It's so weird that it is such a taboo topic. Very unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Congratulations! Do you have at ER date in mind? $1M by 35 is an awesome foundation to build upon.
I guess I don't really have a date in mind but my situation is a bit different. Two years ago I stepped out of the daily operation of my company and promoted my two top guys so now they are running the show. I only go in once a month for a two hour meeting. I feel like i'm partially ER'd because I'm free of work but don't feel totally ER'd because I do still feel the responsibilities that come with owning a company. My investment policy states that I will be FI at 1.25m so I'm well on my way to that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
Congratulations.

You'll achieve the next million a lot faster than the first million.
Let's hope you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Congratulations and be sure to acknowledge that you are doing very well to have that accomplishment by 35. Given your discipline, I am sure you can reach the $10M amount and still be able to retire early.
Man, that would be amazing! I know it could be a possibility, but the mental disconnect from it doesn't allow my mind to believe it is a possibility.

All of this positive feedback is wonderful! Thank you so very much you guys. This feedback has had a much bigger impact on me mentally that I would have thought. You guys are great! Such an awesome community to be part of.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #31

Congratulations!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #33

Congrats--you did it "only" about 15 years earlier than we did (and it doubled again about 4 and 1/2 years later.)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #34

Finally made it - Two comma club

This thread confused me because when I was booking for hotels in continental Europe, I see two commas as in thousands. They apparently use comma as decimal separator.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy a Lamborghini. Who needs two commas?

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #36

Better yet, buy a Bugatti, your 2 commas will go down to zero.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum