Finally Positive for the Year

A few funds I compare my returns to:
Vanguard Wellington (65/35) is +0.71% YTD
Target Retirement 2005 (44/56) is +0.92% YTD

Our portfolio (55/45) is +1.0% YTD

Yep, I broke even on Fri. (since Jan. 1) As in, my balance is the same after subtracting contributions only. I'm 100% VTSMX (VG Total Stock Market). Now it's time for those "cheap shares" to go to work.

-CC

Keep in mind that Total Stock Mkt Idx is down near 1.7% this year. You may not be breaking even yet.

i'm about 1% YTD up most of the index funds are down and my REIT's are pulling us up for air...

but my 403b says i'm down about 4% for past 12 months...which is the biggest chunk of my savings/investments

Haven't bothered to check the other accounts, but since I'm upping the contribution in my 401(k) today anyway....

up 1.3% YTD, largely buffered the drop due to not getting around to getting out of a balanced fund.

Intermediate bonds: 16%
Oakmark Equity & Income Fund: 32%
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund: 26%
Dimensional International Value Fund: 25%
QMA Small Cap Equity Fund: 1%

Should be 15/30/25/25/5... but I didn't change present allocations to bump up that small cap, just future allocations.

Been wondering why I'm in the balanced fund, to be honest. The intermediate bond fund is no-fee. So, I think I'm going to reallocate the balanced to the bond and stock funds based on what I want for AA.

edit: All done. No more pre-tax contributions. I'm going to max out my Roth 401(k) instead now... and we talked finances last night and I'm going to an extra 1.5% after-tax contribution as well.

New AA:

Allianz Intermediate Bond Fund 25%
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund 35%
Dimensional International Value Fund 30%
QMA Small Cap Equity Fund 10%

Up 2.09% for the year, ... but check back next week,
... not sure it's all over yet (honest, ... not trying to jinx things) and hope I'm wrong, but I think there will be some 'profit' :2funny: takers out there (at least for a few more cycles).

...but still -2.69% from my high.

Keep in mind that Total Stock Mkt Idx is down near 1.7% this year. You may not be breaking even yet.

Must be the cheap shares I bought rising. The balance on Jan 1 minus five months of contributions is within a few dollars of Friday's balance. Return/Percentage-wise, I'm probably still down, but dollar-wise, I'm even.

-CC

Last edited:
Going well.

Through last Friday, I'm quite pleased to be up 7.9% YTD. This is not "annualized", a concept which doesn't mean anything to me until December 31, 2008, as I don't dare to project what the rest of the year is going to look like. I typically maintain a 12% to 20% cash position, and allocate the rest according to my own definition of reality. Today looks like it's been another good day for oil and metals.

Tom

Probably about the same as everyone else, but I'm thrilled to be up 6.01% (not annualized) since 3/31/08!!! Not out of the woods yet by any means, but beats the 6 months that preceded it...

For me, no problem because I am still in accumulation phase.

Some of those ER'd who live off the bonds/fixed portion of their portfolio might feel that equities are just there to counteract inflation anyway so the roller coaster Dow is bearable.

I really DID like my net worth this morning, though! It'll be back eventually.

Was that a new milestone I saw there? Oh.. no... nevermind...

DD

I'm getting a tad frustrated because I am only a few more [-]paychecks[/-] [-]stimulus checks[/-] good days in the market away from an "odometer" moment in my net worth. I was fairly close last fall and am closer now but after today I don't really want to check where I'm at.

Sigh.

2Cor521

3.12% annualized -- diversification into hedge funds and inflation sensitive investments have helped

I'm a RCH (don't ask) of going negative. It's really close.

Sorry about the post and jinx

I must have caused the latest correction. I'm no longer positive for the year. We can now all return to our former states of despair. :p

I think we should all start whining about being negative. Obviously the market gods are watching us. Considering our spending our net was always negative anyway.

I must have caused the latest correction. I'm no longer positive for the year. We can now all return to our former states of despair. :p
Yeah ... nice job ... >:D thanks for taking personal responsibility for the lastest downturn ...
now that's a team player :rolleyes:

Well doesn't this week just chap your butt. We finally make it back into positive territory and down we go. Oh well, time for a trip to the refrig for something cold to drown my sorrows. :p

Well doesn't this week just chap your butt. We finally make it back into positive territory and down we go. Oh well, time for a trip to the refrig for something cold to drown my sorrows. :p
best stock up Dawg ... history would show that this is not over yet.
... a coupla more cycles should do it :rolleyes:

I am back in the don't look mode. I really need to look at the investments on a quarterly basis. Looking daily or even weekly will drive you crazy.

Ok, as of close Friday (5/23) I'm down around -4.5% on a 60/40 mix.

Does it matter? Nope. I'm retired and have 3+ years of gross income in MM accounts, after "harvesting" my gains in December during my first year of retirement.

Can't be too concerned about it. I know in the long term (investing since '82) I'll have an "up year" when I can harvest future income.

- Ron

I was in the gym locker room Friday, and CNBC was on. The guy slightly older than me said don't look it will only depress you. I said naw it it a buying opportunity. He said "what an optimist I am thinking about unretiring." I said well I have to admit I would be ok with a few less buying opportunities lately.

Back
Top Bottom