Finally, the market is getting back to normal

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was really concerned earlier this week - the market was up and the VIX was dropping, just terribly unlike what I had come to expect. Profitable companies were actually seeing their share prices increase! What was the world coming to?

Thankfully, we are seeing a return to normalcy today - losses throughout the day followed by a steep selloff in the last 30 minutes. That's more like the white-knuckle rollercoaster ride that I find comforting. VIX also spiked 15%. Finally, we are getting things back to the way they are usually are.

I will be sleeping well tonight, confident in the belief that down is the new up.

In a sick weird way, I find it more comforting when the market goes down than it goes up.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

This all may be hedge funds unwinding their leveraged positions in stocks, commodities and other financial instruments. As I understand it this may continue through the end of the month.

once oil hits $55 it will start rallying again along with the market

once oil hits $55 it will start rallying again along with the market

Bundy,

We are so lucky to have you telling us what to expect as we try to navigate these shoal waters.

Thanks, man.

Ha

What is your take on the following - I'd be interested in your thoughts:)

I was watching CNBC/Closing Bell interview with Madelynn Matlock, Huntington Funds and Joseph Duran, United Capital Fin. Partners and I found it very interesting what they had to say about the markets performance lately.

They were both saying that the cost of money lowering int rates) is not the problem - lowering rates is futile. In their opionion, the issue is the amount of $$ that's already been borrowed.

They were saying that massive amounts of credit had been withdrawn from the Global Financial Markets and we don't even know how much it is. The Central Banks are trying desperately to pump out enough $$ to replace what was withdrawn. - however, these new funds don't have the benefit of the leverage factor that the initial credit did - therefore there still remains a $$ supply problem that will take a while longer to correct.

They also agreed that while there were great values (cheap prices) things were going to get worse economically (?even better buys down the road a bit).

Perhaps I did not fully grasp what was being discussed - if so, I'ii stand to be corrected:D

Yep. This is the "normal market" I am getting used to.

Down anywhere from $10K to $40k a day, despite being only 30% invested.

Dawg54, where's your "head banging" emoticon? Can I use it, now that you are tired of it? Your part-time work sure keeps your mind off the market, doesn't it?

Yep. This is the "normal market" I am getting used to.

Down anywhere from $10K to $40k a day, despite being only 30% invested.

Dawg54, where's your "head banging" emoticon? Can I use it, now that you are tired of it? Your part-time work sure keeps your mind off the market, doesn't it?

Please use it, but I do get paid a royalty. :) Here's what I think of my part time job.
img_743667_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

Now, time for my nightly medicine.
img_743667_1_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif
That should take care of all my new little emoticons. :D

Dr. Frankenstein: "Igor, whose brain did you take?"
Igor: "Um, someone named Abbey"
Dr. F: "Abbey who?"
Igor: " Abbey someone...um...Abbey Normal"

need i say more? :cool:

"War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength."

... repeat until you are satisfied with your Victory Gin.

"War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength."

... repeat until you are satisfied with your Victory Gin.

I would but fortunately our ration of victory gin has increased from 1 oz. to 0 oz. Double-plus-good!

This "normal" market is making my real estate look stable again. The property is down ~ 33% but at least it doesn't swing 5-10% in a DAY.

Here's how one guy on the Yahoo Boards is handling his tension-

"Watching this drop and drop and drop is driving me insane.

So I went into my garage, grabbed a pipe and smashed an old table to smithereens.

I do feel better"

Ha

Ha, a few days ago, you said the market would be giving me another entry point. You were right. So, I just held my nose and bought some stodgy stocks.

Hey Nords, I am also a proud owner of some BRK/B shares now. May buy some more later, but got to go slow, being as prudent and skittish as I am.

Cash down to 63% now.

Another normal day on the street - unemployment spikes, GM will be insolvent by the end of the year, but by gosh we're up 250 points!

Here's how one guy on the Yahoo Boards is handling his tension-

"Watching this drop and drop and drop is driving me insane.

So I went into my garage, grabbed a pipe and smashed an old table to smithereens.

I do feel better"

Ha

I wouldn't mind a session at Sarah's Smash Shack in San Diego, where customers pay for some time in a "break room" where they can smash dishes and so on to relieve stress:

Sarah's Smash Shack San Diego, CA

Then again, after a lifetime of being cheap---I mean frugal----and after all the money I've lost, I probably wouldn't pay $35 to smash 10 dishes!

In case you had any doubt in the accuracy of my new theory that down is the new up, just look at today's returns. +500k jobs lost last month but we're up 250 points. That's change you can believe in.

In case you had any doubt in the accuracy of my new theory that down is the new up, just look at today's returns. +500k jobs lost last month but we're up 250 points. That's change you can believe in.

So a 9% unemployment rate is another 2,000 points on the DOW, well I'll do my part and remain unemployed. ;)

I wouldn't mind a session at Sarah's Smash Shack in San Diego, where customers pay for some time in a "break room" where they can smash dishes and so on to relieve stress:

Sarah's Smash Shack San Diego, CA

Then again, after a lifetime of being cheap---I mean frugal----and after all the money I've lost, I probably wouldn't pay $35 to smash 10 dishes!

Well, you could probably buy the dishes for a dollar each or maybe even less at any thrift store. Now all you need is somewhere to throw them!

Well, you could probably buy the dishes for a dollar each or maybe even less at any thrift store. Now all you need is somewhere to throw them!

My cheap version of this is to go down to the local recycling center and chuck glass bottles into the bins really hard. 'Course, you gotta make sure you don't miss!

Back
Top Bottom