Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Finally using consumption in retirement calculations.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally using consumption in retirement calculations.

Finally somebody has given the light on Yahoo Finance to tell the true story of what is needed for retirement

retirement-savings-crisis-overblown-marketwatch: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the further I got in this article the worse it seemed. It took a complete turn and basically said that Social Security needs to be means tested and the those that have saved should be subsidizing those that didn't or were poor. Sorry for making you read this drivel.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thread on this article posted here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...own-57194.html
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the same reasons that people want to raise the taxes on the rich (they have more so should pay more) they will want to means test SS (They have more so don't need SS). You already see articles talking about why the rich get SS, it will just come down to what the define as "rich".

I believe that if you are 45 or younger you will not see SS if you have money in the bank.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
I believe that if you are 45 or younger you will not see SS if you have money in the bank.
Unless you a multi-millionaire I don't think you have to worry, HOWEVER, I do believe they'll start treating SS as normal income, ie no 50% or 85% fudge factors. So you'll get it, but we're going to have to give more of it back.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
For the same reasons that people want to raise the taxes on the rich (they have more so should pay more) they will want to means test SS (They have more so don't need SS). You already see articles talking about why the rich get SS, it will just come down to what the define as "rich".
Anyone who has more than me.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Well, the further I got in this article the worse it seemed. It took a complete turn and basically said that Social Security needs to be means tested and the those that have saved should be subsidizing those that didn't or were poor. Sorry for making you read this drivel.
Eventually that will be where it will go. Current population trends are not supporting the viability of Social Security. As such, it will have to be made available only to those who need it. While I'm all for helping out the poor, you can't change the rules in the middle of the game. If you want Social Security to get back to the safety net for it once was, interim steps will be necessary. Raising the elibility age is the easiest.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Eventually that will be where it will go. Current population trends are not supporting the viability of Social Security. As such, it will have to be made available only to those who need it. While I'm all for helping out the poor, you can't change the rules in the middle of the game. If you want Social Security to get back to the safety net for it once was, interim steps will be necessary. Raising the elibility age is the easiest.

Not unless you are the US Government.