Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I could ever invest with DFA since all those letters mean to me these days is Dodd Frank Act.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In reality there are many people who are not able or willing to self-manage their money. In that case, a financial planner is probably their best option. In that situation, what they need to be looking for is a financial firm that will manage their money for the lowest cost to the portfolio.

There are many out there who charge far less than the OP's case. In the OP's case there are other circumstances that need to be considered. That's when a good financial planner and tax accountant can be very useful.

-- Rita

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Is there someplace that shows DFA funds are better than Vanguard

I just do not see that in a passive investment.... if they are supposed to follow an index, then you follow the index... anything outside that index is not passive...
I think it comes down to whether DFA's asset mix and when it chooses to ignore indexing and be a bit active produces better returns. We are in to comparing apples and oranges again. I stick with "lower fees better, higher fees worse" and DFA has the advisor fee and slightly higher expense ratios than Vanguard so it's not for me.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, it is your opinion. However, I doubt DFA is going to change their business model anytime soon........

I think Fidelity are a bunch of con artists. They tell you they are a direct company on TV, but inundate my mail with propaganda telling me to use their "advisor funds" which underperform and have double the expense ratio of the direct funds, now THAT is a con!
Yep you have to be careful whatever the firm. None are altruistic, but I prefer the direct companies because there'e one less level of management between me and their cons services and promotions.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
DFA Vs. Vanguard: Another Take - CBS News

Here is a link I found about DFA and Vangaurd...........
Thanks for the link....

I then went to the one mentioned in the article and it had more info from a study.

"The findings from the study
Tower and Zhang looked at equity returns of DFA and Vanguard funds from the end of 1982, when DFA data became available, until August 31, 2009. The findings surprised me.
The DFA equity portfolio has not consistently outperformed the Vanguard equity portfolio. Over the entire life of the DFA equity portfolio, its return is less than that of the Vanguard equity portfolio, even without adding in adviser and transaction fees for the DFA portfolio. However, for the period of the start of the growth stock bubble (end of 1995) through August 31, 2009, DFA, even with an adviser and transaction fee of up to 1%/year, out-returned the Vanguard portfolio.
Thus, according to the study, the answer is dependent upon which period of time is being studied. Ed Tower noted to me that the DFA portfolio showed less volatility, which is one measure of risk. The question of which is better remains unanswered, especially going forward."

So, from a fund perspective they seem to be a wash... or close enough... but the DFA also has an advisor fee tacked on top which to me makes it worse over time... However, if you feel like you need an advisor, these funds do appear to be better than all the high fee and even load funds that a number of advisors push...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Also from the article...

Fees and minimums: Low cost investment manager, Portfolio Solutions

This seem to be a better advisor... fee of .25% with a minimum of $625 per qtr...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think that there is an appeal to paying a certain amount for something - sort of an implied value.

I was always amazed at the people that "just felt better" in a higher priced Mercury even though it was a Ford with a different grill.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think that there is an appeal to paying a certain amount for something - sort of an implied value.

I was always amazed at the people that "just felt better" in a higher priced Mercury even though it was a Ford with a different grill.
LOL....I'm a car guy so I really get that.

Did you know the Pontiac Fiero rear suspension was the exact same as the FRONT suspension of a Chevy Chevette? It's true...I used to be an auto mechanic. Try ordering a rear ball joint for a Fiero, write down the part number, then call back and order a FRONT ball joint for a Citation.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Not quite the same.... sure, the mechanical parts are the same, but the Mecury does have more 'stuff' inside... now, you can argue that the cost is not worth it, but it is not only the grill that is different...
Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Pretty much nailed it in my opinion.
As a DIYer I totally agree with you. However, there are people out there who want or need the help and the advisers service that group.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was recently in the same position as you are. About the same size of managed investment and the same annual fees. I got into semi-retirement and then retirement I wanted more control over things. Several years ago I took a portion of the funds (400k) and invested it myself. I found that my own investment picks were doing as well as those of the advisor.

The advisor raised their fees by about 4k per year and I decided to do it myself to avoid this increase.

I have learned much on this board and also by joining the American Association of Individual Investors along with some other publications and seminars.

I am now at Schwab which offers many educational seminars both on line and in their offices.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #32

Speaking of Schwab and fees

I am confused about the fees at Schwab-
IF I buy a fund thru Fidelity they charge me $17 per purchase of mutual fund whether I buy $2000 or $20000 worth of the fund-
at Schwab they want $75-per fund transaction...
I get that the difference is not huge in the scheme of my portfolio size "percentage wise"---I just dont get why there is such a difference which "percentage wise" is actually 441% higher for Schwab.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

IF I buy a fund thru Fidelity they charge me $17 per purchase of mutual fund whether I buy $2000 or $20000 worth of the fund-
I get that the difference is not huge in the scheme of my portfolio size "percentage wise"---I just dont get why there is such a difference which "percentage wise" is actually 441% higher for Schwab.
What in Gawd's name are you buying at Schwab? They offer no transaction fees on hundreds of funds in every conceivable asset class, an ever growing suite of their own ETFs that you can trade commission free, and access to who knows how many 3rd party ETFs that you can trade for $8 a trade or whatever it is.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sounds like a reason not to be at Schwab.... or Fidelity for that matter..
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not quite the same.... sure, the mechanical parts are the same, but the Mercury does have more 'stuff' inside... now, you can argue that the cost is not worth it, but it is not only the grill that is different...
I worked long enough designing that "stuff" that I know what was really different and what was glitter.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
LOL....I'm a car guy so I really get that.

Did you know the Pontiac Fiero rear suspension was the exact same as the FRONT suspension of a Chevy Chevette? It's true...I used to be an auto mechanic. Try ordering a rear ball joint for a Fiero, write down the part number, then call back and order a FRONT ball joint for a Citation.
How about ordering GMC Sierra trucks, and then getting GMC Sierra trucks with Chevy steering wheels in them? True story.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

Sounds like a reason not to be at Schwab.... or Fidelity for that matter..
That is the charge for DFA funds as they are not on the no charge lists....it adds little but the difference between them is notable.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

There is an easy explanation. Your DFA advisors belong to a broker/dealer who uses Schwab as a custodian. Schwab's DIRECT accounts have much lower fees. But, the broker/dealer wants to make a PROFIT, so they mark up the fees above what Schwab charges them to conduct business and it becomes a profit center for the broker/dealer. Schwab will charge $8 for a direct customer to execute a trade, but charge $15 to a broker/dealer using them as a custodian. Then the broker/dealer marks up the stock trade commission some and the advisor some more. $75 is high, our ticket charges are $15 on most of the ones we have to pay a charge on. We mark up from there but not that much......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #39

No I dont think the $75 fee or the $17 are in any way tied to the broker or my advisor- that goes to SCHWAB or FIDELITY (We use Fidelity, but I shopped around to see where to have our account custodially held and asked those places the charges- without any mention of advisors or anything.)
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Fidelity's fees for MF purchases vary based on account balances, and which fund is being purchased. Merrill Lynch Edge account customers cannot even buy many mutual funds (EG ACITX) that are not on they're availability list.