Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Insecurity and Mental Illness
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial Insecurity and Mental Illness

Here is the story of an outwardly successful guy ending his life at 36 y.o. His wife attributes his mental illness to an overblown sense of financial insecurity. Of course I am sure the real story must have been more complicated, but this is certainly a striking and very sad case:

Why money worries can be a fatal obsession | Money | The Times & The Sunday Times

(should be accessible as The Times allows a limited number of free articles. Possibly may require a free registration)

I have been a bit of a worrier throughout my life, but fortunately never remotely approaching such extremes...
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Appears to be behind a paywall, which, depressingly, I can't afford.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Administrator

Not accessible for me. This was the caption beneath the lead photo
Quote:
Mark Hanson and Clare Francis at their wedding in 2007. Despite career success and a happy marriage, he was fighting a battle against depression and anxiety focused on his finances
and this was the first paragraph.
Quote:
The statistic is stark: one in four of us will have a mental health problem each year. Even if you are not affected personally, the chances are that you will know someone who is, or has been.
That one in four number sounds like a real stretch to me (although it may happen tomorrow depending on who wins the Superbowl tonight).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That one in four number sounds like a real stretch to me (although it may happen tomorrow depending on who wins the Superbowl tonight).
They could be using that definition very loosely. Both DS and I have had counseling several times in our lives- DS to help manage his ADHD and me at various times when I needed mid-course corrections, although I haven't been in one-on-one counseling (and haven't felt the need for it) since I divorced my first husband. Last week I started with a Grief Support Group even though I'm functioning very well after losing DH and my mother last year within a month of each other.

So, all of those could be classified as "mental health issues" although, thank God, they're not of the severity described in the article.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I wonder how would I react if I lost all my finances.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Amazing to me that anyone could/would commit suicide over the loss of a bunch of paper. (well cotton and linen) Or I guess it's bits and bytes in todays world.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Like many of us, when I was first starting out and struggling to pay for university I was extremely, wretchedly poor. I learned that I am tough and can survive and retain my self respect no matter how dismal my financial situation may be.

This fellow apparently never had the opportunity to learn these life lessons, I would guess, although I can't access the full article. Had he done so, he would have realized that the possibility of being poor isn't the end of the world. When he had mental health issues I guess he fixated on his fear of poverty. It's sad, really.

I wonder - - my greatest fear is death (not imminent, but some day, since sadly, I am not immortal ). Maybe if I was one of those who died and then was revived by doctors, I wouldn't fear death either. The fear of the unknown would go away once the unknown was known.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Appears to be behind a paywall, which, depressingly, I can't afford.
I am very sorry that this seems to be hidden for many folks. I registered for free some time ago and get daily email headlines and access to several full articles each week.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Amazing to me that anyone could/would commit suicide over the loss of a bunch of paper. (well cotton and linen) Or I guess it's bits and bytes in todays world.
Sadly people take their lives for much less significant issues.

The number of people who have mental illness is large IMHO. Think about anxiety, minor depression.... I am of the opinion 1 in 4 could be correct.

I still recall my first ever panic attack sending me to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, my Megacorp insurance had no mental coverage.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't read the entire article either. I unblocked my ad blocker but didn't want to subscribe just to to read the article.

I'd like to think if I lost all my money, I wouldn't get desperate and do what I'd never thought I'd be doing, but you never know. Seems a lot easier to say, I'm strong and things would never reach that point. But, when circumstances change, you never know.

I guess a comparison is if somehow I got stranded on a deserted island. While I'm safe now, I can say "I'll never eat bugs". But after a day or two of starving at the island, the thought of roasted grasshoppers might seem pretty good.

I read stories about during stock market crash of 1929, how folks took their own lives feeling all is lost.

I suppose a moral of the unread story is to not let a financial number define who you are, your existence.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The number of people who have mental illness is large IMHO. Think about anxiety, minor depression.... I am of the opinion 1 in 4 could be correct.
It's correct. People hear "mental illness," and they think severe depression, bipolar, schizophrenia -- stuff like that. But look at the DSM sometime (that's the manual listing diagnosable mental conditions). It includes all kinds of ailments -- childhood issues of one kind or another (huge area), substance abuse/dependence (very common), adjustment problems (easy to qualify for one of these), personality issues (very common), all sorts of mood issues (very common), anxiety issues (extremely common), cognitive issues (common), and much, much more.

It goes on and on, and it gets bigger each revision. I joke sometimes that the next DSM will include "Bad Hair Day Disorder" as a diagnosable condition.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... I am not immortal ).
That has yet to be determined.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
"So far, so good."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Since I couldn't read the whole article I searched for the couple's names and apparently the young man suffered from and had been treated for severe depression for more than ten years. I think he would have killed himself eventually no matter what. Poor guy, poor wife.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
It's correct. People hear "mental illness," and they think severe depression, bipolar, schizophrenia -- stuff like that. But look at the DSM sometime (that's the manual listing diagnosable mental conditions). It includes all kinds of ailments -- childhood issues of one kind or another (huge area), substance abuse/dependence (very common), adjustment problems (easy to qualify for one of these), personality issues (very common), all sorts of mood issues (very common), anxiety issues (extremely common), cognitive issues (common), and much, much more.

It goes on and on, and it gets bigger each revision. I joke sometimes that the next DSM will include "Bad Hair Day Disorder" as a diagnosable condition.
It's just a shame that so many people have more than one of the above problems. They seldom have one, and numerous Meds are required. And it's a shame that the Meds make them feel bad. Those with mental issues just won't stay on their medicine regiment. Look up, and they won't even go to the doctor or try to help themselves.

Family and good friends are quickly alienated until they just disappear. Bipolars and many with personality issues have takers, unemployed, thieves and other severely depressed people around them--just what's not needed. Throw in illegal drugs when they self medicate and their situation is very legally volatile--especially if children are involved.

That's where we are with our bipolar daughter. I understand someone having the problem, but throw in bad manners and narcissism and it's like there's no way out. We've been putting up with her 10 years.

Note: Such individuals cannot be trusted with money, and they'll suck parents dry. About all we can do is set up a Special Needs Trust that pays utility bills, insurance and the most basic needs. They cannot get their hands on any assets.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Quote:
... I am not immortal ).
"So far, so good."
Hey, if I turn out to be immortal, that would be even BETTER than living in my Dream House! I think it would be really super to throw a huge bash to celebrate, oh, say my 5427th birthday. Might even get really wild and toast it with a glass of wine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey, if I turn out to be immortal, that would be even BETTER than living in my Dream House! I think it would be really super to throw a huge bash to celebrate, oh, say my 5427th birthday. Might even get really wild and toast it with a glass of wine.
If we have too many immortals here at E-R.org, presumably a redisign of FIRECalc will be called for? Indeed the whole idea of "early retirement" might need to be reconsidered.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I thought I'd already reached that status......until I noticed the 't' in the spelling.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I was misinformed View Post
If we have too many immortals here at E-R.org, presumably a redisign of FIRECalc will be called for? Indeed the whole idea of "early retirement" might need to be reconsidered.
Indeed much would change if we became immortal. Including our desire to be immortal.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Indeed much would change if we became immortal. Including our desire to be immortal.

Immortality may be tolerable if our physical condition stays the same. With the constant deterioration like we all face, longevity certainly becomes a curse at some point. Usually, it's around 90 to 100 for people I know.

PS. I say "tolerable" because I do not know how I would feel if I survive everybody I know. I will never find out, so it's a no problem really.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote