Join Early Retirement Today

Financial planners are thriving because....
Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Financial planners are thriving because....

Based on this article from MarketWatch it seems that the majority of retirement age Americans failed a retirement knowledge quiz.

From the article:" Almost 75% of Americans in retirement age failed a retirement literacy quiz hosted by the American College of Financial Services, which asked how to make money last through their golden years. Questions included when a loan has to be repaid on a reverse mortgage or when the best time is for a 90-year-old to claim Social Security benefits."

Retirement-age Americans are failing this financial literacy quiz - MarketWatch

I took the quiz and got 3 wrong answers out of 38. Some questions are tricky but not too bad.

A link to the quiz if you can't access the link in the article.

https://retirement.theamericancolleg...-literacy-quiz
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought this doc linked in the above was more encouraging than most of the articles out there. While many are not adequately prepared, maybe there are more than we thought?

https://www.aegon.com/siteassets/res...report-usa.pdf

Quote:
The U.S. outranks most countries in the 2016 Aegon Retirement Readiness Index. With a score of 6.7 out of 10, the U.S. has a medium level of retirement readiness. Globally, the U.S. and Brazil tie for second place out of the 15 countries included in the 2016 research, an improvement for the U.S. from the 2015 survey
Quote:
Retirement savings can be a touchy topic for some folks — the U.S. outranks most countries in retirement preparedness, according to the Aegon Retirement Readiness Index (with a score of 6.7 out of 10), but only 26% had written retirement plans in place in 2016 and few Americans had backup plans, the study showed.
I found this to be true of my employees. Many made big 401k contributions, some even maxed out and had a reasonable 401k AA, but few of them had a plan. They just saved as much as possible expecting they'd never have enough. Hopefully they'll be pleasantly surprised.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

34 out of 38 so not too bad.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I failed!
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Administrator

I got 4 wrong, 3 dealing with Medicare and one about LTC.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

33/38. All because of this group. I missed one question because a former lawyer of mine was wrong. The firm was fired years ago.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

I've passed but I got 33 out of 38.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

+1 32 of 38 (84%)... missed a few of the LTC questions and a couple where I was on the fence between the right answer and what I did answer... like 1 and 33 (and 9).

I do have to say, this was one of the better tests that I have seen out there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
You passed. You scored 36 of 38 possible points for a total score of 95%
I missed
Quote:
A deferred variable annuity with guaranteed lifetime withdrawal benefits…
and
Which one of the following is false about the federal taxation of life insurance purchased by an individual?
Not sure what the value of this quiz is. When I read the thread title, my first thought is financial planners are thriving because their customers are upper income people either too busy or too confused to do it themselves, and are happy to pay 1% because they can focus on maintaining their high incomes.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I got only 28 right. I don't know a lot of the intricate details about Medicare, life insurance, annuities, or long-term care issues.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

I passed with 29, but most of the ones I got wrong were related to LTC insurance and annuities. Two things I have already decided I do not need/want for a variety of reasons.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think the standard financial advisor sales rep would not pass the quiz. But I guess to be fair, such folks are not "retirement age" either.

It does look more like a way to get people thinking about annuities than having a real purpose to educate though.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that you are right.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #14

Financial planners are thriving because im an idiot,i thought some guy with a few letters after his name in a suit that worked on wall street would be able to do better than me with building my empire. After 20 years of getting slapped around i took the reins , i do a better job. i took the quiz i got 3 wrong, they should have asked "if your 25 years old and want to build wealth use a financial planner from big wall street firm or do it yourself. i would have gotten that one wrong too.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

30 out of 38 for me. I missed mostly annuity and Medicare questions
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I think the standard financial advisor sales rep would not pass the quiz. But I guess to be fair, such folks are not "retirement age" either.

It does look more like a way to get people thinking about annuities than having a real purpose to educate though.
It's from AEGON an insurance company. They might have a interest in plugging annuities.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

33 so I passed, but I had no idea about Medicare and life insurance.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We certainly did not need a financial planner for retirement. Lots of data points on the web and in the library. It is there for the taking.....or for the reading and comprehending.

We do however use the services of a fee for service investment adviser to manage our money. I do not have the expertise, do not want to put the work into keeping on top of it, and we have been very happy with the advice and the net returns.

What surprises me so much is how little some people seem to know about the basics of managing money, saving, and preparing for retirement. It is shocking
how unprepared some people are. And some of them are in for a huge shock when they can no longer pay even the minimum amount on their credit cards. It is not rocket science by any means.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #19

33 of 38. I also missed some of the questions about LTC, life insurance, and medicaid. On one of them, I knew the answer, but just read the question too quickly... missed the "least likely" part. Agree it was a pretty good test compared to many I've seen. But I kept thinking to myself, this would be a great tool for FAs to reinforce how "tough" this is so that current and potential clients continue to pay for professional help rather than educate themselves.

People choose to DIY on some things and outsource others, for a variety of reasons, not always because they lack the knowledge. I like to DIY almost everything, but I don't change the oil in our cars because I just don't have the equipment and facilities to do it as cost effectively as they can at the shop. We could easily afford to have someone mow the grass and maintain the pool, but I enjoy working outside and I know that I do a better quality job than the "professionals."
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

financial planners are thriving .. I thought most of them flame out early... but the ones that do stay .. do pretty well
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote