Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Planning on the Side
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial Planning on the Side

I think there are a couple people on the forum who have mentioned wanting to set up a little financial planning business in "ER." Has anyone actually pulled that off? For those of us that think about this stuff so much for free it seems like it would be fun and easy, but there has to be a catch.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Financial Planning on the Side
Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2
. . . but there has to be a catch.
Yeah . . . you have to be able to sleep at night.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Biggest catch I can think of is potential liability. No doubt there are ways to mitigate this, but I have not explored them yet, since it is years away for me (if ever). You would also need some letters after your name, CFP at a minimum.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Actually, many states do not regulate this closely...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've wondered if there's not some way to help folks get started with investing--as a volunteer, not as a paid advisor. Sort of like the program where folks learn about doing simple income taxes, then volunteer to help people do their 1040s. There are a lot of folks on this board who know MUCH more about investing sensibly than do 90% of the public. I'd feel pretty good if I could turn just a few folks on to the magic of LBYM, or help a family who is just eaking by to avoid getting ripped off and maybe start getting ahead financially.
Negatives/challenges:
-- Most folks are very resistant to financial advice (I never engage in discussions of this type with family/friends/coworkers unless I'm asked my opinion). You'd need to identify folks who are motivated or at least open-minded and who want to hear more. Identifying these people and setting up a means to meet with them, learn their situation, offer advice, help them build a plan, and do continuing follow-up as they request it would take some effort.
-- You'd be fighting an uphill battle against the considerable forces of Madison Avenue. The advertisers and society in general is convincing folks to spend every nickel they have/can borrow.
-- Potential liability issues? I think this would be reduced if you didn't take any money or get commissions for the advice/assistance, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I think it would be a lot of fun and I'd find it much more rewarding than some other volunteering oportunities. But, I haven't taken it beyond the concept stage--any good ideas out there?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I will most certainly be doing this. I'll keep you all posted once it is setup properly.
ktupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Samclem - I am always giving people "guidance" on financial issues, but basic stuff which we all take for granted: what is a Roth and why should I have one? What is a mutual fund and how do I buy one? Why shouldn't my entire 401K be in a small cap stock fund? etc. etc. etc. I am the "go-to" person in my office for financial questions. My boss thinks I should start a foundation to provide basic investing information for people starting out who shouldn't have to pay a planner when they only have a few thousand dollars to invest. I said, it sounds like fun, but it also sounds like w@rk! I do love helping people out with the basics, though. One of our newer employees swears that before I even introduced myself, I told her to sign up for the 401K. I don't think it happened exactly that way, but it's probably not all that far off. She is thrilled about how it's grown in 6 months.

Anyway, I agree that those of us with the knowledge should find a way to help other people. But then, as you say, I also worry about the liability issues.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Biggest catch I can think of is potential liability.* No doubt there are ways to mitigate this, but I have not explored them yet, since it is years away for me (if ever).* You would also need some letters after your name, CFP at a minimum.
Personal liability is a HUGE concern. Clearly, one can obtain professional liability insurance, however, I would not want to put a lifetime of accumulated net worth at risk for the prospect of making a couple of bucks. *I would suggest that you hook up with a planning firm and work for them. It avoids the risk as well as all the marketing, admin, etc............
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi,

Doing a google search, I came up with some websites for volunteer opportunities around financial advice/planning:

If you are a CPA:
http://www.aicpa.org/financialliteracy/what_is_360.asp

If you are a CFP:
http://www.cfp.net/aboutus/opportunities.asp

If you want to help AARP members:
http://www.aarp.org/about_aarp/commu...-programs.html

You can find more, but there are opportunities out there!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

erryl over at the morningstar forum - he hangs out at Fidelity Family - is doing this. He has been giving people free portfolio analysis for years over on the morningstar forums. Now that he has retired, he is starting to turn it into a side business.

Audrey
Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Will a CFB work?

Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun until all your customers called you up to tell you that your plans just caused them to lose half their money and that you suck, suck, suck. And the same day you'd have lost half of YOUR money. :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote