>= 62 Years Old and Achieved Portfolio target (Pushed to Retire) 1 1.10%
>= 62 Years Old and Achieved Portfolio target ( Decide to Retire) 3 3.30%
>= 62 Years Old and Did not Achieve Portfolio target (Pushed to Retire) 1 1.10%
>= 62 Years Old and Did not Achieve Portfolio target ( Decide to Retire) 0 0%
>= 62 Did not have a portfolio target 0 0%
< 62 Years Old and Achieved Portfolio target (Pushed to Retire) 9 9.89%
< 62 Years Old and Achieved Portfolio target ( Decide to Retire) 45 49.45%
< 62 Years Old and Did not Achieve Portfolio target (Pushed to Retire) 3 3.30%
< 62 Years Old and Did not Achieve Portfolio target ( Decide to Retire) 10 10.99%
< 62 Did not have a portfolio target 19 20.88%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked for Megacorp for 34 years. At 56, I had a choice of retiring with a nice lump sum. So, I did calculations from all angles. Could I retire at 56? Well, it basically came down to this......... Do I want to retire early? and buy a new Toyota Corolla every 5 years? Lead a Toyota Corolla lifestyle? Is that enough? or do I want more? Do I want a Lexus/Infiniti lifestyle?

I decided that my wife and I could exist ok on a Toyota Corolla lifestyle. It's been 11 months now. I have no regrets. She's ok with it. I have a guaranteed Corolla lifestyle. At 56, I can still go back to work if I need the Lexus/Infinity.

Geez, it sounds like I've decided to become a slacker. Seriously, I just realized that I've become a slacker. Woo hoo.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
I worked for Megacorp for 34 years. At 56, I had a choice of retiring with a nice lump sum. So, I did calculations from all angles. Could I retire at 56? Well, it basically came down to this......... Do I want to retire early? and buy a new Toyota Corolla every 5 years? Lead a Toyota Corolla lifestyle? Is that enough? or do I want more? Do I want a Lexus/Infiniti lifestyle?

I decided that my wife and I could exist ok on a Toyota Corolla lifestyle. It's been 11 months now. I have no regrets. She's ok with it. I have a guaranteed Corolla lifestyle. At 56, I can still go back to work if I need the Lexus/Infinity.

Geez, it sounds like I've decided to become a slacker. Seriously, I just realized that I've become a slacker. Woo hoo.
I don't think you're a slacker. Who wants a Lexus anyway? It'll just get all scratched up in parking lots.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ER'd last month, but plan to keep the option of returning to work at the back of my mind. I turn 48 later this year and DW will turn 45. We have so many years ahead of us that I don't think it is possible to be certain that we have enough. All the calculators I know about give us the green light, and that was enough to give it a shot.

The quality of work was not the primary reason for this decision - it was the lack of time to do much of anything else that motivated me to take this step.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"...

Looks like the poll shows this.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman View Post
July 3 will be my last day of work (though officially on payroll through July 31), and I turn 61 a few days thereafter. I shot well past my FIRE goal three or four years ago but have seen my portfolio tumble considerably since then. Even so, I'm still on the plus side and one month is a deliciously short period of time. Technically, I suppose I should not have participated in the poll but I'm considering myself more and more FIREd each day.
Playaman,
That's kinda how it goes. My last day was May 9, but I'm on payroll through July 11. And so far it's been great!

-- Rita
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Since this is an ER site, seems appropriate that most responders were less than 62. Doesn't compute to failure as I see it.
mexmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am surprised at the large number (>20%) that retired early without a plan. Were they forced out or was it opportunisitic?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I am surprised at the large number (>20%) that retired early without a plan. Were they forced out or was it opportunisitic?
My health was going downhill rapidly, and there was an early out offer due to a RIF.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2 shillings

Quote:
Well, the initial plan was to accumulate as much as you could, and then some. It worked!, So out we went!!!!
MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
**** happens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, the wonderful automatic editing changed the first name, but you can look it up on your own...

Hint - the first two characters are "sh" followed by "it"...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #31

Quote:
The question asked was about a 'portfolio target'. I had a 'time target' (30 years). When I got there (actually a few years before) I reviewed where my portfolio was and had more than enough to sustain my desired lifestyle.
So that is ONE answer on why the number was over 20%.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably like others here I had a good idea of what I needed but in general not a "number"; DH had the Fed pension and retired 4 years ago. I thought I would retire at 55 but things went downhill at work and I found I needed out at 53, about 18 months ago. The last 2 years of work would have just been nice extra money we are doing fine. All you Living Below Means, know after years of living on 1/2 your income then you retire and you don't have to pay SS tax and the Fed. and St. tax go way down and you don't have work expenses like all that expensive gas to go back and forth to work. Life is good! I encourage all that are close to come on in the water is fine!
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #33

Not that I'm saying anything, but you should have added a poll option for "just one more year...". I'm sure it would have gotten at least one vote.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I do not see a buyout in my future, but I can take ER at 55 and get my pension and benefits... that is 3 years off.
I didn't vote as I am in a similar situation. I have met my portfolio target assuming the pension plan and retiree health benefits do not change in the next 20 months when I make 55 which is by no means certain. If the pension plan changes drastically I will still RE at 55 unless my portfolio really tanks really badly