Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm better off than I expected but hardly beyond my wildest dreams. Beyond expectations would be more accurate.
About the same here. Enough money to live the life I want, but certainly not the life of wild dreams. That would be more like lottery winners and who hasn't dreamed of a life like that at some point? But those are unrealistic dreams.

No complaints here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1

No one in my extended family had ever stayed on beyond age 16 at school, let alone gone to college, got a degree and earned enough to actually buy a house. I think I exceeded my parents' wildest dreams, even before I'd moved to America and paid for them to fly out and visit a few times.
Nicely done.

I grew up in 3rd world country's poor area and never thought I would be where I am now. Like you, I was the 1st one to graduate from college in my extended family. Poverty toughened me up, and motivated me to succeed financially. And I am proud to say that I did it the hard & honorable way - no help from anyone, not ripping others off, paying my share of tax, .... Now, I just need to figure out how to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #63

The numbers are much, much more than I ever thought I would need to FIRE. The lifestyle is about where I wanted it to be. The difference is a combination of inflation, children and moving to live in a very high cost city.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

We are trying to move towards voluntary simplicity and just be happy with what we have. It is less work than becoming billionaires.

I read an article about a Silicon Valley investor bitter over something Microsoft did that prevented him from being a billionaire. He was only worth $300 million and had a private plane and pilot on staff. That stuck with me. He seemed less happy than we are even with all that money. If he was a billionaire he would probably be bitter over Bill Gates having more still. There are always going to be people richer or poorer, so if you have the basics met, maybe that is enough and the rest depends on your own personal attitude and not your bank account.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I read an article about a Silicon Valley investor bitter over something Microsoft did that prevented him from being a billionaire. He was only worth $300 million and had a private plane and pilot on staff. That stuck with me. He seemed less happy than we are even with all that money. If he was a billionaire he would probably be bitter over Bill Gates having more still. There are always going to be people richer or poorer, so if you have the basics met, maybe that is enough and the rest depends on your own personal attitude and not your bank account.
+1

When DW and I go back t our college reunions, we invariably run into classmates (fortunately only a minority) who from a monetary standpoint have a lot (this is an Ivy League school so we are talking real big bucks), but have a chip on their shoulder when they perceive that another classmate whom they deem "not as smart" has more. We've even had folks ask how we can be so happy without having made it into the "multimillionaire/corporate executive/Wall Street club". It is both amusing and sad at the same time.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #66

We definitely have a higher net worth than I ever expected. Two main reasons:
- I listened to my father and started investing in mutual funds within a couple of months after starting my first job out of college and I've stayed fully invested throughout - never moved out of stocks when the market went down (although I have made my allocation a bit more conservative over the years)
- DH and I are very financially compatible and we naturally were LBYMers. I still remember when we were buying our first house together that the real estate agent was quite annoyed that we would only look at houses about half the price she thought we should look at based on our income. We decided to live as though we only had one income from the beginning so that if I decided to stay home with children at some point, we could manage OK. I ended up staying in the full-time workforce throughout and was the higher earner by quite a bit, with the gap increasing over the years, so we basically switched to living on my salary and saving his salary and my bonuses.

I still clip coupons and shop sales but I try not to sweat over spending money so much anymore. But it's a hard habit to break.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #67
gone traveling

As to wildest dreams, I think many of us do not set our aspiration levels high enough, or if so, failed to act on those dreams. Nevertheless, as said many times, money alone is not a good measure of success, unlike happiness, and I would always opt for the later.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I have some pretty wild dreams...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
As to wildest dreams, I think many of us do not set our aspiration levels high enough...
Being pragmatic, I set the limit to my wildest dream to being a decamillionaire. No point in thinking that I could be a centimillionaire if I saw no path for me to get there. And in the 0.1% world, a decamillionaire is nobody as there are a lot of homes that cost that much already. Forget about yacht and chopper!

But in practical terms, I have about 2X what I thought my NW would eventually be, back when I was in my 30s. Of course, money was worth more then. But then, my expenses now are also 2X what my 30-yr-old self thought I would spend in retirement.

So, in short no complaints. I am happy where I am, and if I can maintain this, it's a lot more than many people have.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I grew up in 3rd world country's poor area and never thought I would be where I am now. Like you, I was the 1st one to graduate from college in my extended family. Poverty toughened me up, and motivated me to succeed financially. And I am proud to say that I did it the hard & honorable way - no help from anyone, not ripping others off, paying my share of tax, .... Now, I just need to figure out how to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Well done, doesn't it feel good to have achieved all that? Just before I retired I was talking to an ex-pat friend of mine at the place I worked. He had come from a similar background from an industrial town about 10 miles down the cost from me, and now was a very well paid manager and actually a year or two older than me. He said that he would love to retire as well and didn't know how I'd managed to be able to retire at 55. I told him that I hadn't just bought a Mercedes convertible brand new from the dealer, or the latest and greatest unbelievably expensive golf clubs to play at a club that costs $100,000 to join. (I have no idea what the ongoing costs are, but I'm sure it is high). But this was the life that he had aspired to, and achieved, but to maintain it meant to keep working all hours in the day under loads of stress. (I actually worked with him a lot and was a friend of his so I knew how much stress he was under).
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

On a world wide scale, many posters here are wealthy beyond the wildest dreams of most of the world's population, even in the developed countries -

OECD Better Life Index

"Across the OECD, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 23 047 USD a year."
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #72

Quote:
On a world wide scale, many posters here are wealthy beyond the wildest dreams of most of the world's population, even in the developed countries -

OECD Better Life Index

"Across the OECD, the average household net-adjusted disposable income is 23 047 USD a year."
Developing countries like Chile and Mexico bring down the average.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

OECD Better Life Index

Thanks for a very interesting link!

I would like to add another excerpt from the above Web page.
"Across the OECD, the average household net financial wealth is estimated at 40 516 USD.

The cost of living is taken into account in income and wealth figures as the reported values are adjusted by Purchasing Power Parities (PPPs). PPPs reflect the differences in cost of living for a comparable amount of goods and services consumed by households."

But what I find most interesting is that despite all the shortcomings that the US has compared to other countries as people keep saying, the chart right on the top of this Web page, the so called "Better Life Index", shows how life in the US (#1) is better by a big jump from the next countries in the list, namely Switzerland (#2) and Luxembourg (#3).

People do not migrate to the US for no reasons!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Played golf with members of a country club. Nice golf course and they were all retired. Got to tell ya, I was surprised by the amount of bithching and complaining. Nice guys though besides that.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... And I am proud to say that I did it the hard & honorable way - no help from anyone, not ripping others off, paying my share of tax, ...
That's also how I think I have led my life, except that I did receive some financial assistance to get my degrees.

When the time came to finance my children college education, I figured I could bear the cost, hence never even knew what the FAFSA looked like (did not even know what it was called). My children would not be likely to get any assistance other than low interest loans, but I did not even want to get that.

Anyway, your philosophy contradicts your screen-name. If it's not a tongue-in-cheek choice, would you care to explain it?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sure, yachts and private jets are nice daydreams but I choose decades ago to work in law enforcement. No one goes into that line of work to get rich. Owning a yacht was never a goal.

All I wanted was a middle class lifestyle - decent but not grand home - reliable car and enough money so I could afford a brake job and didn't have to be out in the driveway in the snow doing it like when I was growing up. I have that and then some so I'm happy.

Doing brake jobs in the snow builds character....there's no better time to do it. And the general rule is, "Your breaks will need to be replaced on the snowiest and coldest week of the year."

My ole man taught me how to do a break job, inspect rotors etc etc. All of that has allowed me to save for FI.

"Boy, come here and pump these brakes for me, now!"
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Yup, been there, done that. Don't wanna again.

Except then they were drum brakes. Disk brakes were for stuff like Ferrari's or maybe a 'Benz.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #78
gone traveling

I thought I am going to be exactly where I am after I lived with my DW for a year.
That was 19 years ago.

And I think I know where I will be 6 years from now.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Exactly like my father used to sound.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #80

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;1379457]That's also how I think I have led my life, except that I did receive some financial assistance to get my degrees.

When the time came to finance my children college education, I figured I could bear the cost, hence never even knew what the FAFSA looked like (did not even know what it was called). My children would not be likely to get any assistance other than low interest loans, but I did not even want to get that.

Anyway, your philosophy contradicts your screen-name. If it's not a tongue-in-cheek choice, would you care to explain it?[/QUOTE]

Robnplunder was a thoroughbred race horse I happened to bet on and won few (literally) dollars in a local track. Plunder is exactly opposite of my personality. But Rob happens to be my name which I change to when I became a naturalized US citizen.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote