Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Are you networking? Sounds like it, since she is volunteering everywhere.
Yeah, quite a bit. In at least three or four places regularly.

But it feels like a double-edged sword to me, because I can't shake the feeling that if people like the volunteer work she does, they won't want to help her find a paying gig because they'd fear losing her as a volunteer...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where you live, but are there agencies, including temps? She could start doing that perhaps.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm considering a local advertisement offering a $1000 finder's fee for the person who is first to provide a lead that leads to getting her a suitable job.
I wouldn't do it, at least not in the manner you describe. In a small town, the advertisement will become common knowledge among prospective employers. She'll appear desperate. People with hiring responsibility for an employer who could not, due to company policy, accept the payment might feel negative about hiring her but not receiving the reward. People who could accept the fee, such as an owner doing his/her own hiring, might hire her for the wrong reason. It just seems like there are more negatives than positives, especially in a small town environment.

OTOH, if there is an employment agency in town, I wouldn't hesitate to pay them a commission for successfully placing her in a good position. My DW retired after 35 years in a position she paid a hefty commission to an employment agency to get. Seemed like a ripoff at the time. Turned out very well in the end. If I recall correctly, it was 10% of her first year's pay.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If I was hiring someone for an entry level "pink collar" position at $20-25k a year, I'd be looking at a less experienced person that would probably be younger and more reliant on the job and the income instead of someone with much more experience and options available, that might quit at a moment's notice.
Problem is that there is no evidence to back this up. Young people quit jobs too on a moments notice.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I wonder if they fear your wife may quit if you change jobs as well.
--

Exactly! How does the local community perceive your (mega?)company? Do they constantly rotate people?

Ziggy, are there people you work with who are well established in the community? It may be helpful to develop those relationships. However, it could take years to pay off in a job offer. I grew up in a small town and my first job during high school was at a company founded by a guy my dad had worked with 15 years earlier; they remained friends forever. I still send x-mas cards to his wife.

My parents were city slickers in a small town and slowly joined the community. Dad was on the (volunteer) water commission. Mom appointed herself neighborhood welcome wagon to greet newer arrivals with a cake. Those relationships paid off, but again, slowly.

I don’t know, is this the added cost of relocating?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Problem is that there is no evidence to back this up. Young people quit jobs too on a moments notice.
You may be right. I was basing my opinion on gut instinct and personal experience. I know more 20-somethings that have to work because they have little savings or other sources of income to rely on. As a butthole manager I figure I could squeeze more work out of them and they would stick around longer than someone who is older and indifferent to continue working (due to having a well-paid spouse, significant savings, lots of outside investments or untapped home equity, etc).

In my limited experience it seems to be those who can quit on a moment's notice will do so. I suppose the opposite argument could be made regarding 20-somethings. That is, that they have little responsibilities and could quit at a moment's notice and may not really care to work very hard since they could always crash on their friend's couch or move in with parents.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #27

All I know is that I'm feeling more and more like we have to move back closer to the city. We're fine now but if I lost my job we'd be flat-out screwed here if we were still SINKs at the time. I don't want to have to make that move *after* I get a pink slip -- who will rent a place to two unemployeds?

I love it out here, but right now my sanity is going out the door with my job security. We actually planned for surviving a bad economy/job market before we made the move, but we hadn't really planned on it being this hopeless. Where's that banging-the-head against the wall icon when I need it?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're fine now but if I lost my job we'd be flat-out screwed here if we were still SINKs at the time. I don't want to have to make that move *after* I get a pink slip -- who will rent a place to two unemployeds?
I don't see how your DW working for $20k changes this appreciably. Yeah, you'd have to dip into savings for less while you looked for your next gig, but you'd still have to find another gig, probably in another area, and move. Right? Or are you close enough to FIRE, that DW working at $20k + benefits would allow you to stay where you are without your MegaCorp job?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I don't see how your DW working for $20k changes this appreciably. Yeah, you'd have to dip into savings for less while you looked for your next gig, but you'd still have to find another gig, probably in another area, and move. Right? Or are you close enough to FIRE, that DW working at $20k + benefits would allow you to stay where you are without your MegaCorp job?
We have a low cost of living here and the house is paid off. We could live on $30-35K here without being too deprived. Add to that (presumably) nearly $400 a week in unemployment benefits if I got canned and we could get by while eating little to none of our emergency fund for the duration of those benefits.

But if neither of us is working, we'd probably be paying $7000 a year on health insurance alone (if we took COBRA) *in addition to* the $30-35K we'd need.

And even if we had to eat into savings after my unemployment ran out (if it came to that), it would mean running out of savings in about 4 years instead of 1 year (before any severance). And that also assumed I found no other work. So yeah, it is a fairly big thing in our case. I can imagine in a lot of places it wouldn't be, but in *our* situation it's pretty big.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I went on my own immediately after graduating from college at age 21, and my first full-time job, after weeks of utterly fruitless job-hunting, was through an employment agency that charged 50% of my first 10 weeks' salary. That's a lot, but I felt it was $$ well spent...I was getting pretty hungry at that point

My secretarial job paid fairly well, but had no benefits whatsoever (small family business) so I became my own labor organizer--negotiated 2 weeks' paid vacation and a $500 raise my first year. If I'd stayed longer I bet they would have sprung for medical benefits. As it was, I stayed for 2 years, at which time I joined the Federal agency where I have made my career.

The advantage of an employment agency is they can put you in touch with people who are almost as desperate to find a good employee, as you are to find a good job. My employers had a hard time finding someone reliable, with good skills and who would put up with their *** (they were demanding perfectionists). After I started working there, they hired a 2nd secretary in her late 50's, so it's clear they didn't care about age--only what you could do for their company. I would never have found them without the agency.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But if neither of us is working, we'd probably be paying $7000 a year on health insurance alone (if we took COBRA) *in addition to* the $30-35K we'd need.
Keep in mind that many employers only pay for some or all of just the employee's health insurance. Many require the employee to pay for added spousal coverage, and some even require the employee to pay for part of their own insurance. I would assume this would be more true for smaller employers (ie in a small town) and for lower paid employees. So you may still be on the hook for $300-500 a month in insurance for the two of you (or $3600 to $6000 a year).
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Is there a local chamer of commerce or something? Also, what about a home-based business for her to do? There's ALWAYS options........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is there a local chamer of commerce or something?
She knows a woman who works at the local chamber (and she's also on the city council).

Our pastor is in the Lions Club here in town and he's invited us to take a look at it in the past. I may take him up on it -- usually a lot of a small town's community and business leaders are involved in it, and that might make for useful networking.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Welll, If oyu Live in the Boonies/Rural area's, Small Towns, etc? It's all but impossible during Down times.. and You either have to take what is available for Less $ and build your way up or Be ready to travel to larger Towns..

So many Love to Live in Rural areas but they do have their Short commings..

and forget using the Internet for Small Towns... In person is the only way to go.. Door to Door.. They want to SEE you in person and what your Personality is like as well.. Discrimination Laws are so strict, most don't want to use Anyother method anymore..and you never know if they are planning on letting someone go and looking for a Replacement..

I worked for an employment agency for several yrs..They call them " Go see's" was the only way to get a job..then and still is now for most Lower paying jobs..

Best of Luck!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in a small town and my DW found work as an instructional aide for the local school district. No degree required, she passed a state test. Pay is close to 17k per year with medical benefits and summers off (WOO HOO!) Every state has its own set of requirements for aides, but it might be worth checking.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ziggy, I would definitely not do what you propose. I come from a small town and if a "blow in" came to town and did what you are thinking about doing, the consensus would be that you are a rich outsider who thinks they are better than the locals and you think you can buy anyone or anything.

All you can do is sit back and wait for the right opportunity and in the meantime do exactly what your wife appears to be doing.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The Ginac Group - Your Career is Our Business