Join Early Retirement Today

Finding a financial adviser/asset manager
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Finding a financial adviser/asset manager

I am a couple years away from retirement having served 30+ years on a Dallas suburb fire department. My wife has already left the job market (I moved her 401 into Vanguard) and in a couple of years we will both be traveling and enjoying our later years.

In addition to my wifes IRA (which she cant touch for nearly a decade) I will also have a lump sum and a 457 check that I need to invest. I have long invested myself but in retirement dont want the hassle. So how do I go about finding someone to manage my money without ripping me off?
rocks911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Meh, I'd probably just use Vanguard's Financial Advisor service (0.30% AUM) if ever I get tired or become incapable of DIY.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would highly recommend using the NAPFA website to locate a fee-based financial advisor. I did this several years ago and had a great experience. You may need to shop around a bit if the first one you talk to isn't a perfect fit for you, but going with a fee-based advisor is definitely the right approach. They will not try to sell you any products. They just charge an hourly fee for their advice.

Find an Advisor - Locate a Fee-Only Financial Advisor
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most here are DIY, It really is not hard.

In fact, some of us will tell you, it is easier to DIY, than to figure out how to find someone you can trust.

Think about it - the only way to know if they are on the up-and-up is to be armed with a little knowledge. It may not seem like it to you now, but for most people, having that knowledge is all they need to do it themselves. Or as I often say:

"The hardest thing to understand about personal finance, is how simple it is". Seriously.

I've read many dozens of studies, run hundreds of simulations, and the striking this is, it probably won't make much difference what you do with your money, as long as you don't do something 'stupid'. And there is a pretty wide range of 'not stupid'.

For most people, pick an asset allocation of anywhere form 40/60 to 90/10 (or even 100/0 if you aren't afraid of volatility). Put each part in an index fund, draw what you need when you re-balance each year, and that's about it.

Ask questions here if you don't understand. No one here is asking for money, they can't rip you off, and you need to evaluate what they say, just as you would for paid advice

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
In fact, some of us will tell you, it is easier to DIY, than to figure out how to find someone you can trust.

Think about it - the only way to know if they are on the up-and-up is to be armed with a little knowledge. It may not seem like it to you now, but for most people, having that knowledge is all they need to do it themselves.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
For most people, pick an asset allocation of anywhere form 40/60 to 90/10 (or even 100/0 if you aren't afraid of volatility). Put each part in an index fund, draw what you need when you re-balance each year, and that's about it.
Heck, if you don't want to bother with rebalancing, you can even select a single balanced fund such as the Vanguard LifeStrategy, Target Retirement, Wellington or Wellesley Income funds. Not so ideal for strategic asset location, though.

Alas, my beneficiaries aren't interested in investing. My mom's so risk averse she has all her savings in cash (CDs and high yield money market). Even her 401k was in FDIC insured savings before I took over managing it. For them, Vanguard Personal Advisor Services will be the go-to when I kick the bucket.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
True.

Heck, if you don't want to bother with rebalancing, you can even select a single balanced fund such as the Vanguard LifeStrategy, Target Retirement, Wellington or Wellesley Income funds. Not so ideal for strategic asset location, though. ...
Yep, those will work just fine for most people.

Quote:
Alas, my beneficiaries aren't interested in investing. My mom's so risk averse she has all her savings in cash (CDs and high yield money market). Even her 401k was in FDIC insured savings before I took over managing it. For them, Vanguard Personal Advisor Services will be the go-to when I kick the bucket.
Yes, I was kicking myself a bit to learn just how much of my MIL/FILs portfolio was sitting in cash. My FIL apparently used to have a lot of it at least in CDs and would go in and have them rolled over as they came due, but stopped doing that some years ago. About 40% was in the stocks they inherited (and one Vanguard growth fund they invested in in the 70's or 80's) - would not have been my choice, but they did well.

They asked to sit down with us and review everything about 5 years ago, but then it just seemed to never happen. I asked DW to bring it up, but she wouldn't. It's a shame, we could have got all their accounts simplified while they were both of sound mind and could get around easier (FIL's mental faculties started declining, and he passed away last year, MIL has mobility issues and is legally blind).

It was a lot more work to deal with after FIL passed, all these various acounts needed to first be re-titled to the EIN of his trust. A lot of running around to banks which were not very accommodating. Only then could we consolidate them. Would have been (almost) a piece of cake earlier.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote