Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I've used i-ORP, which is referenced in a post in this thread, and I find it to be a great tool to lay out a possible road map. But, my understanding of it from the scenarios I've run is that it will advise IRA/Roth IRA conversions early in retirement, which is a bit contrary to your advise on discounting future uncertainty. So, how do you do the analysis to account for (discount) the uncertainty? Is there a way to tailor i-ORP or another tool you've found?
I-ORP has an option to disable the Roth conversions in its output.

How can you tell when a cat is retired?
Cat-tirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
"When I'm refer to maximizing my withdrawals it not to spend it all, but avoid what you mention in your last paragraph and to minimized RMD's pushing us into what is the current 33% tax bracket. The extra withdrawal amount would be saved to a Roth to grow and ultimately be withdrawn tax free."

SoClose - I'm thinking the same thing. Withdraw from TIRA more than I need, but below a certain tax rate (25 or 33) and move some of the amount to my Roth. I want to do this before I start taking SS. I did meet with a CPAFA and he wanted to take over managing my accounts. I guess more money in that than CPA work.
I just retired 8/1/14. DH still working until 6/1/16. I'll be 57 in January and trying to decide whether to do a 72t and get started now?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
A big reason that I'm primarily in the "pay taxes later" camp is that most of my estate will likely go to charity, and the charities won't have to pay taxes on the money they receive. Things would be a lot different if I wanted to pass a lot of money to heirs and spare them a big tax bite. For example, Roth conversions would make a lot more sense if I was in the latter situation.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am a bit confused. Using this calculator I get a withdrawal rate of 3.85% for a 45 year old. .
I revisited the site to double check. My age when 72t would start would be 47.

It shows if I use 100% of our IRA funds we would only be withdrawing 2.84% using the minimum and 3.26% using amortization

I stand by my earlier comment, I'm not willing to lock in 100% of our IRA money. Roth conversions appear to be a much simpler and adjustable way.

Awaiting cash out of Corp retirement plan, saving, saving and saving more, in hopes of RE in 2016 at age 47.
SoClose is offline   Reply With Quote