FIRE calc and the Great Recession

TNT

Confused about dryer sheets
I haven't been on the site in awhile and I'm sure the answer to this question is available somewhere - I just can't find it! Has the FIRE calc been updated to include the Great Recession of a few years ago?

Is there discussion on the site about the effect of the Great Recession on the FIRE calcs?

Thanks!

Remember though, that any periods you run in Firecalc will only include runs with the Great Recession at the very end. No one yet knows what will happen for runs that begin just before, during, or just after the GR.

We can all report back in a few decades :)

Remember though, that any periods you run in Firecalc will only include runs with the Great Recession at the very end. No one yet knows what will happen for runs that begin just before, during, or just after the GR.

We can all report back in a few decades :)
True, but FIRECALC does include the Great Depression and four bear markets comparable to the 2008-09 meltdown FWIW...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
It also includes the crash of '74 when stocks were down a good 40%, inflation was going to double digits, and oil was embargoed. Not a fun time.

It also includes the crash of '74 when stocks were down a good 40%, inflation was going to double digits, and oil was embargoed. Not a fun time.

True, but back then my net worth consisted of a 1970 VW Beetle... :LOL:

I actually graduated from college with $6,000 invested in "hot" stocks. I lost at least half of it. OUCH.

Fortunately, I spent most of my time thinking about chasing girls and never really agonized over the loss. I kept putting new cash in and, as the say, the rest is history.

I actually graduated from college with $6,000 invested in "hot" stocks. I lost at least half of it. OUCH.

Fortunately, I spent most of my time thinking about chasing girls and never really agonized over the loss. I kept putting new cash in and, as the say, the rest is history.

I did something similar at the time. Had investments out of college. My 'hot' stocks did quite well before the 74 crash, lost about half and eventually sold before the recovery. Although I have to say many of my 'hot' stocks probably never did recover. I know one went bankrupt. It was a very good lesson though, and since then never sold in any of the following bear markets, and my portfolio became considerably less hot. Good to learn your lessons early!

Back
Top Bottom