Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
We have preparation for the few week power outage/weather disturbance sort of event. Preparation for the long term, really end of modern civilization sort of event is pointless. Once the antibiotics run out or the bird flu crosses into mammals or a really good plague hits then we are done.

Remember, unless you think you have several hundred actually trained, competent and committed to the group people with you on your enclave, your stash is simply a magnet for roaming gangs of good old boys.

"Here's to them who would read,
Here's to them that would write.
There's none ever feared that the Truth would be heard,
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
I have a friend who is making plans for all sorts of "end of world" scenarios.

Holding 10% of invested in net worth in physical gold and silver. Real Estate holdings outside the US with the ability to relocate when hyper inflation or a deflationary depression occur. Other hedges.

I'm thinking if it really hits the fan, TP is more valuable than Gold.

Any others do that kind of contingency planning?
Your friend is an idiot for sharing this. He needs to be in more of the "Survivalist Next Door" mode where no one would suspect he is prepared.

Everything I learned about fighting zombies came from Simon Pegg movies

Shaun Of The Dead - Remove the head, or destroy the brain. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Edgar Wright - YouTube

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by tuixiu View Post
Aside from that I know where a former coworker lives who is mormon and has all kinds of ****, could go take him out.
I'm not Mormon, but from what I've seen the LDS religion seems to encourage a degree of survivalist type preparedness, hence the online shops I mentioned who will sell you pre-made kits of survival food.

Most of the LDS folks I know have a years worth of food and water in their basement and pretty good supply of firearms too, so taking out your friend would be a bad plan on multiple levels!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Not end of world type planning, but every year I make sure my emergency kit (a whole large tool box full) is ready for my car. For home, always have some extra water and flashlights handy. Of yeah, canned goods too. And of course, duct tape, gotta have duct tape
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by tuixiu View Post
I've considered this stuff and when I look at how much canned stuff, rice, etc. we usually have in the cupboard I think we'd be good for at least a couple weeks, maybe more if I got motivated enough to do something with flour. There are community lakes near us I could get water and boil on propane grill too.
Same here. 30,000 gallon pool. In a pinch, I could pull out my 5-iron and club a goose (with the 5-iron, not a 5-iron shot )
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We have a well stocked pantry. Maybe 100 cans of food, 6-8 lb of dry beans, 40-50 lb of rice most of the time. We have 0.3 acres and access to water (we're on a lake), so farming is an option. The lake has plenty of geese, so there's always that. And deer. And possum. And groundhogs. And herons. Plenty of wood around the lake for cooking fires.

I'm really more concerned about boredom. Luckily there's a huge library right up the street. I'm hoping the looters skip the library and leave it to me. It's located kind of in the hood, and I would be really pissed if the residents around the library broke in and used the books as kindling for their fires.
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If someone was a serious prepper , you will need some wheels.

The DOD has quite a few MRAP's in Iraq and Afghanistan , literally at scrap prices, U.S. Considers Demolishing Its Vehicles in Afghanistan | DoD Buzz "just pay shipping and handling" .

Might be kind of expensive to register , based on truck weight fees. maybe could hoodwink the DMV into believing it is a recreational vehicle. Maybe buy 2, one just for spare parts.

With some work, diesel fuel can be kept for many years, by adding enzymes occasionally to kill bio growth , and stirring up & filtering the tank contents ( called "fuel polishing" ) Same thing as done on emergency generator fuel tanks.

Propane keeps forever, gasoline and E-10 , not so good.
“The finance industry is 5% rational people and 95% shamans and faith healers.” - Charlie Munger
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Investment opportunity for preppers.

Prepper’s Secret Virginia Retreat Location!
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boredom won't be a problem, I grew up every summer without electricity, no running water, no plumbing.
Cook on a wood stove, heat with a fireplace, meant had to cut down 6 trees each summer, that were larger than a man could wrap his arms around. (to dry for the next year).
Saw them up with hand bow saw, and chop with axes.
Had we stayed there in winter, we would have cut down 10x that amount.
Then there is the cutting of the ice blocks in winter from the lake and dragging them up to the ice-house (double walled wooden building with lots of sawdust in it to put between the layers of ice. Each block was ~100 lbs. But without gas/propane/electic that is how you cooled stuff down.
Basically even cooking a meal took longer, as the stove had to get hot.
So you won't have much time to read, you will be too busy.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote