Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For things that affected my customers, I was pretty good at keeping my attitude positive and did my best to resolve problems and give good solutions. Unfortunately more and more of my job had nothing to do with customers.

For example, we had some software tools that would analyze code and point out possible problems, which of course could impact customers. It used to be we could analyze them and mark exceptions to ignore warnings that really had no impact. But as time went on, we had to start changing the code to keep the tools from putting out the warnings. So not only was I "fixing" code that had no impact on the customer, but the changes I made could possible break something that had been working. That's the kind of work my attitude went south on, and that I started to let linger rather than handle more quickly.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
I retired three days after I could take my pension. There was no benefit to staying so I left. I did my victory lap during the last few months as I slowly gave away my projects.

Sounds like you aren't quite ready to retire yet. Even though you feel you are FI, you seem reluctant to leave. Have you considered easing into it. Maybe ask for reduced hours or if that's not an option, find a part-time job or some contract work and semi-retire. You won't lose your entire income stream and the security. You will also use less (or none depending on your new job) of your savings. You will also get to begin getting used to living on less money without totally relying on your savings.

Kind of the best of both worlds. You can keep an income, get used to your new retirement income, stretch and maybe even increase your savings. Maybe you can find a job that suits you better, or work for yourself. If you were 60, I'd say just do it, but at 40 semi-retirement seems like a good fit.

Retired July 4th, 2010 at age 43
Trout Bum, Writer, Full-Time Dad and Husband

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm in a situation similar to you (about the same saved and I'm 43 and have a very lucrative small business). The only caution I would give is that at our age there are still 40+ possible years of retirement ahead.

I'm not sure if 2 million is enough for that amount of time, especially with all the turmoil, debt and uncertainty about taxes in the U.S. I have no idea what your budget and SWR are so maybe you are more than fine. One concern I have is that the U.S. will eventually move toward a more confiscatory position on passive gains, but who knows?

I'm putting in 4 more years and will be more comfortable when I hit the 3 million mark. If I hit 4 million before my final date (which is set in stone) then I'm done that week.

Good luck and congrats on putting such a large nest egg together already!

Hiredgun is offline   Reply With Quote