Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE Plan, which port?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

FIRE Plan, which port?

I just finished reading Work Less, Live More which left me with a revitalized interest and desire for FIRE. I immediately started playing around with spreadsheets and have devised a strategy and two possible portfolios.

Background:

State: FL

I'm employed as a pharmacist and live well below my means. I've been working for about 16 months. In that time, I've managed to go from a networth of -$50k (student loans) to +$45k. I live on about 25% of my salary, another 25% or so to taxes, which has let me save/invest/pay off loans with the remaining 50%. I enjoy what I would call a very comfortable living situation (no interest in lifestyle-creep) and have no plans to increase my spending significantly in the near future. I will have my student loans paid off within 8 months. I do not plan on owning a home in the near future.

Current Assets:

$32k in traditional 401k (25% S&P500, Int Large, Small Cap, Bond)
$12k in Roth IRA (REIT)
$11k ESPP
$13k cash
$20k approximate car value

Current Liabilities:

$30k student loans @6.55%
$13k car note 2.5%

No credit card debt/mortgage

Strategy/Plan:

I would like to continue to work full time until age 35, at which point I would like to have a child or two, and drop down to 24hrs/week (which would still let me keep benefits). During these 10 years, I would continue to invest north of $50k/year (including employee match). From 35-55 I would work my 24hrs, and hopefully still manage to max out 401k/IRA (taxable account contributions would stop, only yearly rebalancing). At 55 I would fully retire. Below are two proposed investment strategies. I've used Rick Ferri's 30 year projections for real returns.

Portfolio #1 (conservative 4 fund):

30% Total US (VTSAX) - taxable
30% Total Int (VTIAX) - taxable
10% US REIT (VGSLX) - IRA
30% Total Bond (LAG) - 401k

Estimated yearly real return: 4.2%
Estimated SD of asset classes (not port SD): 16%
Portfolio ER: 0.1%

This portfolio would remain fairly static until 55, at which point I would drop REIT's for intermediate corporates and exchange half of Total Bond for TIPS. In retirement the portfolio would look be:

27.5% Total US (VTSAX) - taxable
27.5% Total Int (VTIAX) - taxable
15% Total Bond (VGSLX) - 401k
15% US TIPS (VAIPX) - 401k
15% US Int Corp (VICSX) - IRA

Portfolio #2 (aggressive 6 fund):

18% S&P500 (SVSPX) - 401k
18% Int Large Val (SSAIX) - 401k
18% Small Cap Value (VSIAX) - taxable
18% Emerging (VEMAX) - taxable
10% US REIT (VGSLX) - IRA
18% Muni Bonds (VWIUX) - taxable

Estimated yearly real return: 5.2%
Estimated SD of asset classes (not port SD): 19.9%
Portfolio ER: 0.14%

This portfolio would favor aggressive asset classes in the beginning (starting with approximately 50% SCV/Emerging, and taper slowly towards retirement, exchanging high risk assets for more bonds each year. In retirement the portfolio would look be:

12% S&P500 (VFIAX) - 401k
12% Dev Int Large (VTMGX) - 401k
12% Emerging Large (VEMAX) - 401k
12% US SCV (VSIAX) - 401k
12% US REIT (VGSLX) - IRA
40% US Muni Bonds (VWIUX) - taxable

Rational:

I like the conservative portfolio (a la 3 fund + REITS) for its simplicity and relative safety throughout my career. Using my spreadsheets and Rick's numbers, the net at retirement would be approximately $3.1m.

I could also see myself striving for an aggressive portfolio. With a very long time horizon (30 years until retirement with potentially another 30-40 years in retirement) I feel as though I could stand to take additional risk with hopes of a slightly hire return. The estimated net at retirement would be $3.7m for this portfolio, 20% higher.

Any opinions/critiques are highly appreciated regarding my plan and portfolio proposals. Thank you.
davdmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!